Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills

Go down 
+11
Mousey
Mini
Snitty
kbullet
rotncorso
Unhingedmom
Kewl Chick
pooperscooper
yorkiemom
RedyreRotties
GypsyJazmine
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Empty
PostSubject: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 9:42 pm

Alcoholism is not a disease - IT IS A CHOICE - I choose to smoke because I enjoy it, a drunk chooses to drink to escape life, a drug addict chooses to toke or smoke so they can take a trip without ever leaving their home. Only a drunk justifies their drinking by saying alcoholism is a disease. To bad the courts don't recognize that BS. Its a choice, has always been a choice and always will be a choice its an avenue someone uses to escape life If they hate life that much that they have to escape it day after day then they shouldn't be here. Just the same as it is my choice to smoke - I do so because I enjoy it - but it doesn't alter my mental state to such a point that I escape reality, or neglect my day to day responsibilities of caring for this farm and the animals within it. A Disease is something that infects an individual - something they could not prevent - something they did not deliberately try and catch - it just happens.
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 9:51 pm

ram wrote:
Alcoholism is not a disease - IT IS A CHOICE - I choose to smoke because I enjoy it, a drunk chooses to drink to escape life, a drug addict chooses to toke or smoke so they can take a trip without ever leaving their home. Only a drunk justifies their drinking by saying alcoholism is a disease. To bad the courts don't recognize that BS. Its a choice, has always been a choice and always will be a choice its an avenue someone uses to escape life If they hate life that much that they have to escape it day after day then they shouldn't be here. Just the same as it is my choice to smoke - I do so because I enjoy it - but it doesn't alter my mental state to such a point that I escape reality, or neglect my day to day responsibilities of caring for this farm and the animals within it. A Disease is something that infects an individual - something they could not prevent - something they did not deliberately try and catch - it just happens.
Really?...Are you a medical doctor or psychologist or just another random person with an opinion? scratch
Some people are born pre-dispositioned to be an addict...Then we go into the whole mental health aspect of it...Do mentally ill people CHOOSE to be mentally ill & to medicate themselves?...I suppose you think that homosexuals are gay because they choose to be too. :roll:
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:04 pm

RedyreRotties wrote:
Alcoholism is a disease.

Your comments are really offensive.
& ignorant! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:06 pm

People smoke cigarettes because they are addicted to nicotine. There is no other reason why someone would do something that so clearly leads to disease and early unpleasant death.

I'm sure people drink themselves to death because they CHOOSE to?

Uh huh.

Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Headpound

Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Nutso
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com

PostSubject: Dog Farms, Puppy Peddlars   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:11 pm

Mental Illness is a disease something that people can't prevent - similar to all the other diseases - Gay and Homosexuality is neither a disease or anything else, some individuals are born prone to be gay some people choose to by gay - THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS as gay individuals are a very important part of society, their alternative lifestyle does not hurt or harm anyone, they are normal individuals who are no different than anyone else. To bring a persons choice of lifestyle into this discussion and compare it to alcoholism is simply petty and a reflection of ones homophobic attitude. No one needs a medicial degree to know a drunk when they see one, nor do we need a degree to know that drinking is a choice.
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm

ram wrote:
Mental Illness is a disease something that people can't prevent - similar to all the other diseases - Gay and Homosexuality is neither a disease or anything else, some individuals are born prone to be gay some people choose to by gay - THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS as gay individuals are a very important part of society, their alternative lifestyle does not hurt or harm anyone, they are normal individuals who are no different than anyone else. To bring a persons choice of lifestyle into this discussion and compare it to alcoholism is simply petty and a reflection of ones homophobic attitude. No one needs a medicial degree to know a drunk when they see one, nor do we need a degree to know that drinking is a choice.
But I do think there is a comparison as I believe fully that alcoholism is NOT a choice...I am definitely not homophobic either...lol!...I have close family members with alcoholism & addictions...Because of this I have been educated for many years now on the subject...What formal education have you had on the topic?...We should take your word over the people that are educated about such matters?...That would be as ignorant as your words here are! :roll: :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Dog Farms, Puppy Peddlars   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:26 pm

I've already stated I choose to smoke - if you want to call it an addition fine But remember its my choice to smoke - just as its a drunks choice to drink. Does a drunk want to drink themselves to death - if it helps them escape reality then probability. You can't compare smoking to drinking - I can smoke and still drive to town without killing someone, I can still smoke and take care of my financial matters, I can still smoke and ensure my livestock is fed and well cared for and if necessary treated if sick, AND A DRUNK CAN.............. use their drinking as an excuse for beating up her kids, neglecting financial matters, animals, and other commitments. And yes we mustn't forget the millions of excuses they come up with to justify their behavior. Glad to hear your not homophobic as to my education and knowledge of a person who drinks - a lot more than you probabily have sunshine and we'll leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:33 pm

ram wrote:
as to my education and knowledge of a person who drinks - a lot more than you probabily have sunshine and we'll leave it at that.
Spoken like a person who has little education into such matters...If you are educated on such please tell me how so I can take you seriously...What you are saying goes against all current medical & psychological knowledge so you haven't had much current education. :roll: :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:41 pm

ram wrote:

I have to agree with you on alcoholism I went to therapy with my husband for years trying to help him stop drinking. He would stop for years but all ways it was his choice to start again .
One of the first things they give the family who is involved with a family member who has addiction is a profile of people with addictions . One of the things about people with addictions are they are very self centered people . Their ,needs,wants,pleasures, all ways comes first. They crave attention very self centered . Face it substance abuse doesn't do any thing for any one else only the weak minded fool doing it .
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:51 pm

feathers wrote:
Face it substance abuse doesn't do any thing for any one else only the weak minded fool doing it .
Well of coarse not...What does that have to do with the subject?...DUH! :roll:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:59 pm

GypsyJazmine wrote:
feathers wrote:
Face it substance abuse doesn't do any thing for any one else only the weak minded fool doing it .
Well of coarse not...What does that have to do with the subject?...DUH! :roll:

A lot more than your comparing it to being homosexual .
alcoholism causes a illness it in its self isn't a illness. Thought you should know since you seem to be so educated about it .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 12:15 am

We have never called alcoholism a disease because, technically speaking, it is not a disease entity. For example, there is no such thing as heart disease. Instead there are many separate heart ailments, or combinations of them. It is something like that with alcoholism. Therefore we did not wish to get in wrong with the medical profession by pronouncing alcoholism a disease entity. Therefore we always called it an illness, or a malady -- a far safer term for us to use.[26]
In professional and research contexts, the term "alcoholism" sometimes encompasses both alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence.[27] and sometimes is considered equivalent to alcohol dependence.

In psychology and psychiatry, the DSM is the most common global standard, while in medicine, the standard is ICD. The terms they recommend are similar but not identical
:

William Griffith Wilson (November 26, 1895 – January 24, 1971), also known as Bill Wilson or Bill W., was the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), a fellowship of 100,800 mutual aid groups world-wide

Oct. 27, 2004 -- Just like heroin and morphine, smoking cigarettes triggers the release of addictive "feel-good" brain chemicals, new research shows.

The finding helps researchers understand why smokers have such a tough time quitting despite all the health dangers. They presented their report at the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, held this week in San Diego.

It's the first human study to show that smoking cigarettes stimulates the brain's production of chemicals called opioids. The opioids are known to play a role in soothing pain, increasing positive emotions, and creating a sense of reward. Both morphine and heroin trigger this same chemical flow.

As stated in the post written by Ram, alcoholism is not a disease, nor is smoking. Both are equally as difficult to stop.

Although it has been suggested that smoking is more difficult to cease than is the over consumption of alcohol. leading to alcoholism.

The alcoholic, continues to drink for many reasons, one can become an alcoholic because they have been unable to acomplish something, but fate has not been good to them, at least in their opinion. Their goals seem to be dashed no matter how hard they try. They cannot deal with with this something. or mulitiple issues, thus they drown their inadequacies with alcohol. It's akin to an invisible line, between social drinking and alcoholism, once a person crosses that line, they are addicted. Quite often they become braggards, know it all's, and at times depending on their temperament, just plain nasty.

Yes, although it was not myself who had an issue with alcohol, someone very close to me has. I have seen them quit, and go many months, even years, and pick up a bottle and jump into it. Smokers have just as much difficulty, but as ram states, "WE" are still quite able to continue with our lives, finances, jobs, etc, whereas an alcoholic can only function to a point in his/her capacity to do the same before alcoholism starts to shut them down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 12:28 am

Posted by: Feathers&Fur
One of the things about people with addictions are they are very self centered people . Their ,needs,wants,pleasures, all ways comes first. They crave attention very self centered . Face it substance abuse doesn't do any thing for any one else only the weak minded fool doing it .

Perfect analogy of an alcoholic. I've watched it, heard it, and been affected by it. One can spot an alcoholic a mile away after being close to one for many years.

If I might add: When push comes to shove, they cannot handle things and they "run" away. Crying to other's for help, anyone that will listen to them. Yelling "foul"... it's all their fault... I tried to help, but some people can't be helped!

Then, once enlightened, that group of people, or a person, whomever they chose to play on, catch on, then the alcoholic moves to another area looking for attention, and a place to cry "foul" once again...It's never their fault!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Dog Farms, Puppy Peddlers   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:01 am

Unfortunately a lot of family members facilitate the Drunk by coming to their rescue and paying their financial obligations for them so they do not have to suffer the consequences of not paying Creditors, Mortgage payments, Landlords etc. Yes its very easy to spot a drunk - even through pictures - comparing a picture a year ago to now you can see that they age very fast and without any grace as the passage of time is not nice to the bottle tipper.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:17 am

how the hell did this go from dog farms.puppy peddlars to addictions of alcohol and various others?
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:23 am

This topic really went off as many do. Everything everyone does daily is their choice. I smoke and also have no problem with moderate drinkers, nor gay people. Everyone is destined to die so I'm wondering what any of this has to do with Puppy Pedlars and Dog Farms. :?:
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:47 am

I also smoke have an occasional drink and 2 of my best friends are gay and none of that has anything to do with puppy peddlars nor dog farms,unless of course some of you have managed to teach your
dogs to drink,smoke or if some of them prefer the same sex
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 2:48 am

RedyreRotties wrote:
Alcoholism is a disease.

This is where it went off topic! Let's get back to puppy peddlers and Dog Farmers. The mods are correct!

Smoke drunken
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 7:27 am

You folks are getting rather obnoxious!!! Every thread has turned into your little vendetta and it is getting rather annoying. And back up a little more Nicki I think the thread went off topic by ram a few posts before the one you quoted!

And I have to say that the alcoholic remarks were indeed offensive. I barely ever drink and you are right that is my choice but coming from a background with alcoholics, it is not easy to sit back and let people cast aspersions only to get someone's nerve to twitch. It worked because now my feathers are ruffled and my nerve's are twitching to tell you all to get your head out of your asses!!!

Last edited by KewlChick on Tue 15 Jun 2010, 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 7:33 am

Just read through most of this thread.

Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills TrainWreck1

I think I need a drink.
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 8:02 am

Nicki wrote:
RedyreRotties wrote:
Alcoholism is a disease.

This is where it went off topic! Let's get back to puppy peddlers and Dog Farmers. The mods are correct!

Smoke drunken

You are wrong as usual. Mcauley posted along the lines that drunks dont deserve to live.And yes, its very offensive.
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 8:10 am

ram wrote:
We all make mistakes and we learn from them. I made mistakes when I started into cattle 50 years ago and I'm sure even Pooper has made mistakes when she started into horses. We can go toe to toe here all day and your not going to change my mind and I not going to change your mind. All things considered I'm thankful for the Vet that will set aside their ethics without compromising same to assist an unethical Breeder or Pet owner, irregardless of the type of animal they raise, I'm thankful for the nurse or doctor who is pro-life who will set aside their ethics without compromising same to give the same standard of care to a patient who has had a Therapeutic Abortion, as the patient who has had their gall bladder out. I try not to prejudge people based on my standards or ethics - the only exception to the rule are those individuals who tip the bottle to much otherwise known as drunks, as these people have virtually no value in life.

No, nicki, THIS is where it went off topic.

Read much?
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 10:26 am

There is an entire post there, it wasn't totally about alcoholics? I merely pointed out that, one part of the post was zoned in on and the topic went adrift, posting entirely about alcoholism.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 10:38 am

Nicki wrote:
There is an entire post there, it wasn't totally about alcoholics? I merely pointed out that, one part of the post was zoned in on and the topic went adrift, posting entirely about alcoholism.

Oh, thank you for pointing that out, some of us "bystanders" hadn't noticed. You know that sometimes this happens, sometimes topics drift? You could always just keep posting on topic to try to get it back on track? Or is this a new one about, like, finger pointing now?

Sorry for "zoning in" on one part of your post, but I'm finding this all sort of silly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:19 pm

•♫•UnhingedMom•♫• wrote:
Nicki wrote:

Oh, thank you for pointing that out, some of us "bystanders" hadn't noticed. You know that sometimes this happens, sometimes topics drift? You could always just keep posting on topic to try to get it back on track? Or is this a new one about, like, finger pointing now?

Sorry for "zoning in" on one part of your post, but I'm finding this all sort of silly.

I totally agree with you. It wasn't my post btw. But I admit to drifting tooooooo!

And to those who have dealt with others in their lives that had issues with alcohol abuse, I know how you feel and sorry that it upset you. It upsets me too, very much, but I have heard the word "disease" one too many times in regard to alcoholism and that hit a nerve with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills   Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Addictions-- Split from Puppy peddles and puppy mills
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next