Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Agility....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Agility....   Mon 07 Jun 2010, 12:29 pm

Okay, these are just thoughts..

Thinking of doing some agility with my pugs... OH my..

Let me explain.. I have a gate my big dogs will not clear.. My little female pug.. jumps it all the time... and loves joeys ramp.. So I thought what a great thing for the kids.. to train the dogs on an obstacle course.. NOW These are just thoughts... But with summer holidays around the corner.......

I don't want to compete.. or go to trials..

Just something fun to do at home.. with the kids and the pugs...

So looking at ideas.. to making a mini obstacle course.. I can set up.. Nothing too fancy.. nothing too expensive.....

any ideas
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Mon 07 Jun 2010, 1:18 pm

Mini, I'll see if I can get you some pics (will email them to you) this weekend of some of the agility equipment that can be made low cost using PVC piping (jumps, weave poles). We have some really neat weave poles that I'm looking to steal the plans on. :lol: Was thinking, since you have Pugs, you could probably get away with using a tunnel that is used for cats. I think McPug had or still has one that she bought for her cats.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Wed 09 Jun 2010, 1:14 am

There's lots of things you can make for agility if you scrounge around. I like making stuff with findings and the PCV jump was my most expensive...was $20.00 for all the fittings and the wind has smashed the crap out if it. My hoop is a recycle masterey if I do say so myself...a discarded hockey goal and a used tire. For weave poles I used discarded tent poles that I place in the ground, my chute is a plastic container with a thick cotton for the chute part. My jumps are made from wood I found around here when I went looking. I will post some pics in the next few days...mine are just suitable for small dogs. Lol...Bosco's head likely wouldn't fit in my tire nor chute. (I know you said the pugs). Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Wed 09 Jun 2010, 3:07 am

okay, that will be my next project..ha ha ha.. won't be very pretty.. but may work... lmao
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 1:00 am

I didn't forget about you Mini/Mimi...lol. If a picture tells a thousand words, hope this helps Smile Smile Smile

The hockey goal tire jump is like this. Not pretty but it works...big thing though is you have to peg in into the ground to make it stable. There's a bar that runs down the back of the frame, unbolt that as it's in the way.

The PVC pipe jump BBE was speaking of is like this but like I said it's $20.00 for materials and joiners and even with duct tape the wind breaks it way too often. Not my fav but it does fold up and hang on a wall for storage.

The chute is just one of those medium sized plastic containers the dish wash stuff comes in at the old folks home that I cut the ends off and washed it out thoroughly...ask at the kitchen. The fabric portion is a thick tablecloth from the hotel dining room that I attached by drilling holes through the cylinder and wove...of course... binder twine and stitched it together. A bungee cord to hold plastic jugs filled with water holds it down so it doesn't blow away.

Get really good at making this design because you're gonna need it when the kids get further in Pony Club and you have to make equine cavalettis. Just cut 4 pieces of equal length wood and make an "x" out of them and nail them together in the center. Then attach the bar in the middle..beauty of it is you can make it tall or small just by rolling it over.

And lastly the metal bar you removed from the hockey net makes the bar for this design. Pretty easy to make and very sturdy.

And then you can have silly fun like this...Arriba's first attempt at the tire jump Smile Smile Smile I haven't set up the weave poles this year (the tent pole thing) because we have had so much friggin rain we have to mow every weekend and they have to be pounded into the ground. Not that ambitious to do it weekly. :bounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVw6aPthu80&feature=digest

Dammit...I just previewed the picture size and they are huge. Live with it cause it's near bedtime and I am not resizing...lol. It's easier to see when they are huge. I have always bitched about huge pics on forums and am breaking my own rule, just this once. Embarassed

Never mind I fixed it...I don't like breaking my own rules. Crap 17 minutes late for dogs out to pee...it's all your fault... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 11:29 am

I love them.

How about I buy the material.. and come over and you can make them all..... But that is cool...

I am going to try a few things. ya I know we our going to start needing some jumps around here for ponies as well...

didn't I tell you, I am not that handy with tools. You did here about my attempt to make a lean too for a ponie.. LMAO... I will show hubby.. Just what he wants another project.. HE HE HE.. but I will blame you..

I can't wait to start this.. Those little pugs. love to jump and run.. The kids will love it.

Thanks pooper....ha ha ha.. I will post pics of mine... when we are done.. Won't be as nice as yours cause.. they might be held together with bras and bailer twine. That is my speciality.. HA HA HA HA
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 11:31 am

ops can you send some of that rain up north by the way..

A storm moved in last night.. Lots of wind and lightening and thunder. Maybe 3 drops of rain.

We haven't had rain in a week.. But we need so much of it.. We are dry out here. Not as bad as last year.. but we could use some more
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 11:30 am

Those are cool ideas Pooper.

I'll leave a link with agility plans with the distance between each weave pole, height of equipment etc... Within it are other links with pics to show how to build the equipment. Enjoy!

http://justonemorepet.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/

ETA: Scroll down to the bottom of the link to the agility equipment.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   Fri 18 Jun 2010, 12:04 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Those are cool ideas Pooper.

I'll leave a link with agility plans with the distance between each weave pole, height of equipment etc... Within it are other links with pics to show how to build the equipment. Enjoy!

http://justonemorepet.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/

ETA: Scroll down to the bottom of the link to the agility equipment.

Love it...TY. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agility....   

Back to top Go down

Agility....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: