Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bikers ride to support troops

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Bikers ride to support troops Empty
PostSubject: Bikers ride to support troops   Bikers ride to support troops Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 7:17 am

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/06/05/14278396.html

More than 1,000 bikers drove from Trenton to Bowmanville along the Highway of Heroes on Saturday in support of Canadian troops.

After the Heroes Highway Ride the group raised $11,000 for wounded troops through a raffle and a silent auction.

“Today was about recognizing the troops that continue to serve, the ones who have served in the past and those who served and were injured in the line of duty,” said Lou DeVuono, organizer of the event that came a day before the anniversary of D-Day.

“We also want to recognize the sacrifice of the families of the troops because they are the unsung heroes who stay home wondering if they will ever see their loved ones again.”

Gordon Hudson knows what that is like.

“My wife has a son in the air force and our future son-in-law was deployed the Afghanistan two weeks ago so I was riding today in support of our troops,” Hudson said.

“Watching all the people on the bikes and those who lined the bridges means a lot to the troops to know they have that support.”

Christine Caswell’s stepson was killed in Afghanistan in 2007.

“He was part of the Canadian Dragoons and his biggest wish was to have the children of Afghanistan forge ahead. This demonstration of support is wonderful and helps the heart,” she said.

Some of the girls from the 2010 Toronto Sunshine Girl calender took part in the ride.

“I rode because I wanted to show my support for the troops,” said Theresa Longo, who is Miss December.

The troops do appreciate the show of support.

“It means a lot to know people care and are willing to support us,” said Cpl. Raquel Gmitrowicz.

Cpl. Craig Thompson said he is touched that people line the bridges.

“It is a sobering moment knowing one of your comrades has died,” he said.

It is fantastic how many people came to support the troops, said John Greenfield with the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 178.

“We need to remember the ones who haven’t made it home yet,” he said.
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Bikers ride to support troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikers ride to support troops   Bikers ride to support troops Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 9:43 am

Thanks for sharing Mousey!! I remember the first time driving home from up north and seeing all the people line the bridges and it was an amazing feeling of sadness but pride at the same time. I was proud to see that our men and women are not dying in vain and that our people support and honour them as heroes.
Back to top Go down

Bikers ride to support troops
Page 1 of 1