Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Empty
PostSubject: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 4:54 pm

I have a dumb question. I came across some pics online of a Pyrenees and Akbash. Ok, slow day at work today. To the untrained eye (mine) I could not tell the difference. Was wondering what the difference between the two breeds were in appearance and temperament? They look very similar to me in appearance.

ETA: This search all started when a co-worker at lunch time was telling me how her husband and her ran into a woman who had two Bernese dogs that were all white. I know Bernese are not all white, I think she confused them with a Pyrenees, but then was thinking they could be an Akbash. The dogs were to guard the woman's livestock and keep the coyotes away.
Back to top Go down
Bernermom
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Bernermom

PostSubject: Re: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 10:05 pm

I have no idea what the answer is :lol:
but, when people find out my dog is a Bernese
they often know 'someone' who has one all white, sigh
I tell them that is a Great Pyrenees not a Bernese but they
do sound similar
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 10:45 pm

Sorry BBE,

I have been on nights.. LOL.. so I am all switched around..

There are a couple of differences between the breed. Now if you don't know the pyr breed, it is hard to distinguish.

The first major thing is the dogs coat.

Both have the double coat. However, A pyr has a thicker Lion like MANE. This aids in their own protection. As predators usually grab around the neck.. to go for the kill. THe extra thick mane. Protects them.

Also the akabash.. can come in different colors. Such as brown. A pyr will be mostly white. ANd only 1/3 of the body can be brown ( badger face) or some spots of black.

Now, you will find different breeds that are similar.. in appearance but very different in temperment.

They are the akabash, kuvas,pyr and marema. All good and exceptional LGD dogs.

I am getting ready for work.. right now.. or I would go into more details...

Look at puppy pics on google of the both breeds and you can tell the coat right away..Lol
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jun 2010, 12:58 am

Bernermom, Don't know why my co-worker thought it was a Bernese that she saw. The ending of the breed names do sound similar. I had to show her on Google the difference between those two breeds.

Mini, That's alright. On some down time at work, you're going to have me comparing 4 breeds now instead of 2. LOL
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 9:52 pm

Besides the difference in coat length there can be a difference in color...The Pyr can be a marked dog but should not be over 1/3 of it's body...They Akbash comes in white though they will often have bisquit colored ears...It is the Anatolian Shepherd that comes in different colors...The Akbash is a harder tempered dog than the Pyr is...The Pyr comes from France whereas the Akbash is a Turkish flock guard...The Akbash is a slightly higher energy dog than the Pyr....Hope this helps!
Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jun 2010, 4:47 pm

GypsyJazmine wrote:
Besides the difference in coat length there can be a difference in color...The Pyr can be a marked dog but should not be over 1/3 of it's body...They Akbash comes in white though they will often have bisquit colored ears...It is the Anatolian Shepherd that comes in different colors...The Akbash is a harder tempered dog than the Pyr is...The Pyr comes from France whereas the Akbash is a Turkish flock guard...The Akbash is a slightly higher energy dog than the Pyr....Hope this helps!
Smile

Thank you Smile I had read that somewhere on the net but the way it was worded and not from a site that I would consider a reliable source, wasn't sure if that part was true or not.
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jun 2010, 9:48 pm

Sure is true! Smile
Pyrs are the "softest" of the LGD breeds. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash   Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Difference between a Pyrenees and an Akbash
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: