Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Saturation of unwanted horses will be hitting the market

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Saturation of unwanted horses will be hitting the market   Sat 29 May 2010, 4:49 pm

Wyatt and Pfizer announced that as of March 31/2010 - 64 PMU Operations in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and North Dakota have had their contracts terminated for the 2010/2011 urine collection season. As a result of collection contracts not being renewed, there could be as many as 20,000 mares, foals and stallions hitting the market this fall. This will result in a substantial drop in price, you combine that with farmers still trying to recover from last years drought in many areas, and this year Mother Nature has not found a balance in regards to weather patterns, as some areas are being flooded while others are in drought mode, seriously jeopardizing the hay crop, which could mean another hay shortage this year. Another hay shortage and an overabundance of unwanted horses on the market will see a lot of this years foal crop and no doubt a large number of mares and stallions meeting their demise via way of euthanasia as they will have no value because no-one will want them. This leaves 3 PMU operations in Saskatchewan and 2 in Manitoba which will continue to operate for the upcoming season. It is expected that they will close in 2012 bringing an end to an era of horse farming.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Saturation of unwanted horses will be hitting the market   Mon 31 May 2010, 12:54 am

ram wrote:
Wyatt and Pfizer announced that as of March 31/2010 - 64 PMU Operations in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and North Dakota have had their contracts terminated for the 2010/2011 urine collection season. As a result of collection contracts not being renewed, there could be as many as 20,000 mares, foals and stallions hitting the market this fall. This will result in a substantial drop in price, you combine that with farmers still trying to recover from last years drought in many areas, and this year Mother Nature has not found a balance in regards to weather patterns, as some areas are being flooded while others are in drought mode, seriously jeopardizing the hay crop, which could mean another hay shortage this year. Another hay shortage and an overabundance of unwanted horses on the market will see a lot of this years foal crop and no doubt a large number of mares and stallions meeting their demise via way of euthanasia as they will have no value because no-one will want them. This leaves 3 PMU operations in Saskatchewan and 2 in Manitoba which will continue to operate for the upcoming season. It is expected that they will close in 2012 bringing an end to an era of horse farming.

64 wow!!! I bred nobody last year and I am not again this year except for outside mares. When the prices go down or the market is saturated I always take a long break and wish everyone else would also but it never seems to happen. Sucks to be me because very often I wait and then my good breeding animals get too old to breed and all those years of showing them, bloodtyping, DNAing, training, feeding and general maintainance is just a money pit eventually.

The hay thing is a huge concern...even with all of this rain hay is selling very well. Here, so many have not finished seeding and it keeps on raining so it may well be a wait til end of July or even August til there's a fresh crop. We had a year like this before where it never stopped raining for the better part of the year and when we did get a break and cut it all down the rain returned for 3 weeks steady and we got nothing but hay cattle could tolerate but still had to bale it to get it off the feild. I hope that doesn't happen this year but who knows?
Back to top Go down

Saturation of unwanted horses will be hitting the market
Page 1 of 1