Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What is your definition of a working dog?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: What is your definition of a working dog?   Thu 27 May 2010, 1:43 pm

I know my definition is not like most..

BUt I was reading on another forum.. has nothing to do with kijij.

ONe poster said she has working dogs- because she shows them and they are very well trainned. ( not a show thread)

But that isn't my definition of a working dog? I would be interested to see what everyone else thinks.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Thu 27 May 2010, 2:36 pm

My opinion may be unpopular but it's only my opinion and not the gospel. lol

My definition of a working dog is one that does search and rescue, herding, K9 police service work - tracking, therapy dog work, seeing eye dog, etc... I guess my definition of working dog is a dog that works in real life work situations.

Then there are dogs that do competitive sports to try and simulate real life situations for that physical and mental stimulation to keep behavioural issues at bay. I'll use myself as an example. I have a dog, I live in the country but don't have a farm for my dog to herd sheep or cattle. I use sports like agility and rally-o as mental and physical outlet for my dog's high prey drive. I don't compete her yet, and even if I did I wouldn't consider her a working dog (even though she is a working breed) as I don't have her do any real life work situations.

If a breeder shows their dog in conformation, does obedience trials then they are working their dog but technically it can't be a working dog. If that makes any sense.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Thu 27 May 2010, 2:58 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
My opinion may be unpopular but it's only my opinion and not the gospel. lol

My definition of a working dog is one that does search and rescue, herding, K9 police service work - tracking, therapy dog work, seeing eye dog, etc... I guess my definition of working dog is a dog that works in real life work situations.

Then there are dogs that do competitive sports to try and simulate real life situations for that physical and mental stimulation to keep behavioural issues at bay. I'll use myself as an example. I have a dog, I live in the country but don't have a farm for my dog to herd sheep or cattle. I use sports like agility and rally-o as mental and physical outlet for my dog's high prey drive. I don't compete her yet, and even if I did I wouldn't consider her a working dog (even though she is a working breed) as I don't have her do any real life work situations.

If a breeder shows their dog in conformation, does obedience trials then they are working their dog but technically it can't be a working dog. If that makes any sense.

+1
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Thu 27 May 2010, 6:00 pm

To me, a working dog, is a dog trained to do a human task to assist humans in accomplishing these tasks. They are on-call 24/7 (outside of their play/relax/down time).
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Thu 27 May 2010, 6:31 pm

No I agree with all of you guys,

On your definition.

I like what you say a working breed but does not work. I find ( no offense alot of people) state they have working dogs but in my own perception they do not have a working dog. I hope that makes sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Thu 27 May 2010, 7:25 pm

I consider my terrier breeds as working dogs . I have them for rodent control in and around my Avairys . Just about every one of the Min-Pins I sell go to other bird breeders and they are hoping that their dogs will be as good as mine for that same reason-job.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 2:13 pm

Mini wrote:
No I agree with all of you guys,

On your definition.

I like what you say a working breed but does not work. I find ( no offense alot of people) state they have working dogs but in my own perception they do not have a working dog. I hope that makes sense.

I work her (ie. in obedience and dog sports), and she is a working breed dog, but I would not consider her a working dog unless I had her registered to do therapy dog work, or got her into doing farm work like herding cattle or sheep. I think a lot of people with working breed dogs get the meaning "work / working" confused.

In another forum I'm a member of, there are a couple of members who strongly believe that if your Rottweiler is not involved in schutzhund or mondio, or any similar type of sport then your Rott isn't a working dog. They fail to forget that schutzhund, mondio, or any similar type of sport, is just that a sport just like agility, rally-o, competitive obedience, flyball, and freestyle.

Mini, What did the person on the other forum say when you explained your definition of working dog?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 4:48 pm

It was a pyr Breeder.

So now she doesn't do anything with her dogs.. other then show them.

But she tells me they are working dogs. I tried to explain they are a working breed but are not actively working.. LOL

Our definitions of what working dogs are similar.

I am attempting to get both of my pugs working- in the therapy field. Chelsea is doing great... her partner.. well we are working on it.. LMAO...
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 4:55 pm

Mini wrote:
It was a pyr Breeder.

But she tells me they are working dogs. I tried to explain they are a working breed but are not actively working.. LOL

I am attempting to get both of my pugs working- in the therapy field. Chelsea is doing great... her partner.. well we are working on it.. LMAO...

Good for you Lucky (my pug) is taking her therapy certification test on Sunday.

She will do well, I think a therapy cert for a breed like the pug is really an ideal type of "work" especially if you are going to breed.

Its so funny because we have been attending training for about 6 weeks with lucky and the past two weeks we have had a lot of construction workers in the house and lucky keeps approaching them and just standing beside them until they notice her, and then she sits down for a cuddle.......Its like I have been reinforcing her to just accept love from random strangers...... but its great.

Good for you mini Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 8:29 pm

Mini wrote:
It was a pyr Breeder.

With working breeds it's good to show them, but the breeder also has to prove they are more than just pretty dogs. You see the similar happening with the Rottweiler breed. You'll notice that there are some that are some that are more into showing, they will get working titles but they don't have as many working titles behind them. Then there are some that are more into working and have more working titles than showing titles. Since I'm clumsy and don't have what it takes to show handle a dog, I tend to looking more at working titles in breeders dogs.

They could be on strike. LOL

They both sound like they would make great therapy Pugs.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 9:33 pm

Mini...I must tell you, I was driving down Jasper Ave. last night (it was early evening, and I was dropping my hubby off for a business dinner, so no...I was scoping the streets for trouble...LOL...just needed to throw that in) and saw a small group of handlers & vested dogs. In amongst them was a Great Pyr.. I slowed to see what organization they were with, but couldn't quite see who they were. Dark green vested dogs, so I assumed therapy dogs of some sort. But, thought it was cool, since I've never seen a Great Pyr. in a working capacity like that before.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 10:35 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Mini wrote:
It was a pyr Breeder.

With working breeds it's good to show them, but the breeder also has to prove they are more than just pretty dogs. You see the similar happening with the Rottweiler breed. You'll notice that there are some that are some that are more into showing, they will get working titles but they don't have as many working titles behind them. Then there are some that are more into working and have more working titles than showing titles. Since I'm clumsy and don't have what it takes to show handle a dog, I tend to looking more at working titles in breeders dogs.

They could be on strike. LOL

They both sound like they would make great therapy Pugs.

Chelsea already is working.. She has been going to the schools and where I work. She is just amazing. She can have 10 children gathering around her.. petting her.. and she just sits there enjoying every moment.. LMAO.. well my other little comedian is good one on one.. But he needs a little more trainning. He loves kids... that is not the problem. He is your typical attention getting comedian.. PUG.. lmao
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 10:37 pm

K-Flash wrote:
Mini...I must tell you, I was driving down Jasper Ave. last night (it was early evening, and I was dropping my hubby off for a business dinner, so no...I was scoping the streets for trouble...LOL...just needed to throw that in) and saw a small group of handlers & vested dogs. In amongst them was a Great Pyr.. I slowed to see what organization they were with, but couldn't quite see who they were. Dark green vested dogs, so I assumed therapy dogs of some sort. But, thought it was cool, since I've never seen a Great Pyr. in a working capacity like that before.

I can see the breed doing therapy work. They are very protective gentle and caring.. for young new born baby anything. They love to work. I can see Gunner doing this.. As he just loves all new little things. They are an amazing breed. Don't get me wrong.. They have alot of faults.. and tend to drive me insane as well...

They are happy when they are working....and get rather destructive when they do not have a job to do.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Fri 28 May 2010, 11:44 pm

Mini wrote:
K-Flash wrote:
Mini...I must tell you, I was driving down Jasper Ave. last night (it was early evening, and I was dropping my hubby off for a business dinner, so no...I wasn't scoping the streets for trouble...LOL...just needed to throw that in) and saw a small group of handlers & vested dogs. In amongst them was a Great Pyr.. I slowed to see what organization they were with, but couldn't quite see who they were. Dark green vested dogs, so I assumed therapy dogs of some sort. But, thought it was cool, since I've never seen a Great Pyr. in a working capacity like that before.

I can see the breed doing therapy work. They are very protective gentle and caring.. for young new born baby anything. They love to work. I can see Gunner doing this.. As he just loves all new little things. They are an amazing breed. Don't get me wrong.. They have alot of faults.. and tend to drive me insane as well...

They are happy when they are working....and get rather destructive when they do not have a job to do.

To be honest, I was quite taken, but I trust there's many med./lg/. breed dogs that can do
"working" work. To me "destructive" means SMART. Don't try to quell that 'naughtiness' too much.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Sat 29 May 2010, 12:09 am

Bwahaha..if destructive means smart then does destroying stolen toilet paper rolls from the garbage can mean smart? Julio must be briliant then.Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Definition of a Working Dog   Sat 29 May 2010, 2:40 am

A working dog is any dog that performs a task in an uncontrolled enviroment. The key words are uncontrolled enviroment. I do not consider a dog that does agility, or prances around the show ring to be a working dog, as these tasks are done in a controlled enviroment, where the safety of the animal is a priority. In an uncontrolled enviroment the dog has to think and act using only its instincts and skills in order to keep itself safe and still perform the task that is expected of him. This can be anything from search and rescue, police work, guarding and protecting a herd of livestock, working cattle, guarding an individuals property from intruders, or babysitting an autistic child who can't relate to the outside world.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Sat 29 May 2010, 12:24 pm

pooperscooper wrote:
Bwahaha..if destructive means smart then does destroying stolen toilet paper rolls from the garbage can mean smart? Julio must be briliant then.Smile Smile Smile

LOL....too funny! Yeah...I suppose I should have made my statement a little clearer. It's just interesting sometimes how dogs will figure stuff out when they're bored, and want to cause trouble. To me, it's an indication they have some smarts upstairs. But yes...there is a fine line between smart & destructive.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Sat 29 May 2010, 6:01 pm

What about racing Greyhounds?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Sat 29 May 2010, 11:31 pm

ram wrote:
A working dog is any dog that performs a task in an uncontrolled enviroment. The key words are uncontrolled enviroment. I do not consider a dog that does agility, or prances around the show ring to be a working dog, as these tasks are done in a controlled enviroment, where the safety of the animal is a priority. In an uncontrolled enviroment the dog has to think and act using only its instincts and skills in order to keep itself safe and still perform the task that is expected of him. This can be anything from search and rescue, police work, guarding and protecting a herd of livestock, working cattle, guarding an individuals property from intruders, or babysitting an autistic child who can't relate to the outside world.

Then I guess my dog would be a working dog then. :lol: Since my house is one of the very few houses in my neighbourhood that has never been broken into and has never had anything stolen from the outside of my property since I got my dog. My next door neighbours, though the wife is afraid of my dog, they actually seem to like having her live next door, since no one has bothered to break into their home or steal any of the property outside of their house. On a serious note, I don't consider her a working dog, but if I ever win the lottery, I'm going buy a farm with lots of sheep for her to herd.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Sat 29 May 2010, 11:32 pm

•♫•UnhingedMom•♫• wrote:

IDK, I would think racing Greyhounds would fall under dog sport, like agility, rally, etc...
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Sun 30 May 2010, 2:00 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
ram wrote:

Then I guess my dog would be a working dog then. :lol: Since my house is one of the very few houses in my neighbourhood that has never been broken into and has never had anything stolen from the outside of my property since I got my dog. My next door neighbours, though the wife is afraid of my dog, they actually seem to like having her live next door, since no one has bothered to break into their home or steal any of the property outside of their house. On a serious note, I don't consider her a working dog, but if I ever win the lottery, I'm going buy a farm with lots of sheep for her to herd.

My Border Collie is amazing ( Mini can agree with that) but because he has never been allowed to herd ( horses don't do well being herded by dogs, kick their heads off). My fuzzy buddies do home protection also...and no joke Havanese do herd. That's a CKC title I am seriously going to work on. They are to herd ducks but I haven't any...( Mini is Quakers and a few friends available to be herded) Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   Sun 30 May 2010, 7:50 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
•♫•UnhingedMom•♫• wrote:

IDK, I would think racing Greyhounds would fall under dog sport, like agility, rally, etc...

I'd totally agree with you if it weren't for the fact that the "sport" is money-driven, not achievement driven. From the outside it might look like a sport, but from the dogs vantage point (and that of the breeders, trainers, owners) it probably seems more like a job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is your definition of a working dog?   

Back to top Go down

What is your definition of a working dog?
Page 1 of 1