Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?

Go down 
+4
Mini
kbullet
yorkiemom
Jerseyfivedogs
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Empty
PostSubject: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 8:05 am

I was reading a thread on another form and a poster was criticizing America for working Prisonerns. Calling it slave labor Shocked

While I might not understand in full exactly how the employment works in Prison I do know a percentage is kept by the prison to help pay medical and housing for the inmates and a small amount is paid to the inmate as a wage .
If the inmate owes child support or restitution a percentage of their income goes towards the payments .
Many inmates gain valuable job skills this way and go on to work in the same field when released .

What am I not seeing here as being good , why would other countries view this as slave labor ?
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 9:09 am

I don't feel that it is slave labor at all.

Check out this program.(not sure if the prisoners are getting paid or not)
http://www.puppiesbehindbars.com/about.asp

There were a few sentences in the video that I didn't personally agree with but over all it looks like an excellent program.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 9:13 am

I think they should work,why should the tax payers foot the bill for them while they lay around doing nothing

Have no idea why other countries would have a problem with it
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 11:18 am

A prisoner laying around to me is about the same as someone getting suspended from school for skipping.. its almost like a reward.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 11:53 am

Frig I think our prison system is a JOKE.

They get new exercise equipement, they get new entertainment things such as TV.. ect... I believe when they are found guilty of their crimes. They loose all rights.

I also believe we protect way too many of the ped and rapists as they are kept separate for their own safety. Last numbers I heard it costs the tax payers almost 80 k a year to house one or 2 prisoners.

They also can take courses.

I believe that they should enforce work programs as well as take a little bit of what the military do in their prisons and I highly doubt we would see so many repeat offenders
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 12:06 pm

There are prisoners in the States that work as telemarketers. They even get to collect clients' credit card numbers. How's them bananas? I don't think this type of work program is offered in Canada, but who really knows?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 1:13 pm

Mini, I agree.

cureforboredom wrote:
There are prisoners in the States that work as telemarketers. They even get to collect clients' credit card numbers. How's them bananas? I don't think this type of work program is offered in Canada, but who really knows?

Shocked Now that's scary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 1:36 pm

Jersey fivedogs wrote:
I don't feel that it is slave labor at all.

Check out this program.(not sure if the prisoners are getting paid or not)
http://www.puppiesbehindbars.com/about.asp

There were a few sentences in the video that I didn't personally agree with but over all it looks like an excellent program.

You need to repost this in the pets . A really good story about service dogs .
Thank you I enjoyed seeing this .
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 1:40 pm

I think prison life should be a lot less cushy...my trash like SIL is taking courses as we speak. She's obviously eating well too being that she's doubled in size. I think they should work and monies earned used to back to pay restitution to society. :twisted:
Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 12:06 am

feathers wrote:
I was reading a thread on another form and a poster was criticizing America for working Prisonerns. Calling it slave labor Shocked

While I might not understand in full exactly how the employment works in Prison I do know a percentage is kept by the prison to help pay medical and housing for the inmates and a small amount is paid to the inmate as a wage .
If the inmate owes child support or restitution a percentage of their income goes towards the payments .
Many inmates gain valuable job skills this way and go on to work in the same field when released .

What am I not seeing here as being good , why would other countries view this as slave labor ?

Hi feathers - Are you in the states?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 7:21 am

Amomma wrote:
feathers wrote:

Hi feathers - Are you in the states?

Yes I live in Central Florida
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?   Do You think Prisoners Should Work ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do You think Prisoners Should Work ?
Page 1 of 1