Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 2:01 pm

ASSINIBOIA, Sask. — A five-year-old Saskatchewan boy who lost a leg in a lawn mower accident is being bullied on the school bus and school officials aren't helping, argues the boy's father.

Robert Coomber says his son, Ryan, got a black eye after being hit by an older student on the bus ride between the school in Assiniboia and the family home in Willow Bunch, about two hours southwest of Regina.

"I asked him why. He said it was because he was singing," said Coomber.

Coomber said he called the older student's parents but they were unwilling to help. The next call was to the RCMP.

"The RCMP came and took photos of Ryan's face and said that we were in full rights to press charges, but we decided not to, that we would let the school handle it instead of putting this kid through the justice system," said Coomber. "Instead of handling it, they removed Ryan from the bus because they said it was unsafe for him."

Coomber said there was no co-operation from staff at Ryan's school or at the older student's school, which he said "refused outright to discipline the child in any way." Ryan's school goes up to Grade 4 and the older student's school covers Grades 5 to 8, but they share a bus.

Coomber said an official with the Prairie South School Division told him that it would be best if he drove Ryan the 50 kilometres each way to kindergarten.

The frustrated father says it's not the first time Ryan has been bullied on the bus and he's just one of many victims.

"It's usually pushing, shoving, taking his bag, taking his winter clothes. The first kid actually tried to pull his prosthetic leg from him. And this is a joke to everyone ... in the system," said Coomber.

"All my boy's trying to do is to have his right to an education and to a safe environment."

"He was singing on the bus. They tell children from the youngest of ages about singing and singing about buses, 'The wheels on the bus go round and round.' So you start singing on the bus and that gives a person the right to belt you in the face hard enough to give you a black eye. That doesn't seem right. So when we complained, we were just trying to make right by Ryan and unfortunately it was completely ignored."

The Prairie South School Division said it couldn't talk about specific student issues because of privacy laws, but a spokeswoman said there are anti-bullying policies in place and a process to resolve disputes.

Saskatchewan Education Minister Ken Krawetz said an investigation is underway to find out what happened.

"Until that is complete, I don't think the board of education will be jumping to any conclusions. The short-term solution, I guess, was to ensure that there be no further antagonism between students and to ensure that the parents were able to drive the student to school," said Krawetz.

Krawetz said school boards have policies to ensure safe environments and that extends to school buses.

Ryan was run over by a riding lawn mower in May 2008. His left leg needed to be amputated below the knee as well as four toes on his right foot. His thigh bone was broken on his right side and his pelvis was shattered. The spinning blade cut out a portion of his liver, some muscle on his chest and muscle on his buttocks.

Ryan spent a year and thousands of hours learning to walk with the prosthetic limb. Coomber said now his son is struggling to understand this situation.

"Mentally he's OK. He's a little confused about why he's not allowed on the bus any more and he's kind of bummed out that he doesn't get to see his friends on the bus," said Coomber.

This pisses me off so much, words can not even describe how I feel about this situation
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 2:06 pm

I would put him back on the bus and ride with him,bet that would stop the crap that is going on poor little guy

Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 2:20 pm

That is horrible! Damn right I would of pressed charges, maybe then the bullies parents would smarten up. 5 year old dissabled children should not be getting black eyes Mad no child should be bullies, especially disabled ones. The bullies parents are totally at fault IMO. I think I would go and punch those parents right in the fucken nose!!!
Back to top Go down
Igloosukka
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Igloosukka

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 2:48 pm

I would press charges and sue the school board.

Enough of this crap already.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 3:36 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
I would put him back on the bus and ride with him,bet that would stop the crap that is going on poor little guy

Not only would I ride the bus every day with my child to and from school, but I would also be pressing charges.
Back to top Go down
*~Skittles~*
Warmed up
Warmed up
*~Skittles~*

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 3:58 pm

This is exactly why I take my kids to school everyday and pick them up from school.
I would not handle my kids being bullied very well AT all. And people tell me I need to let them ride the bus.. HELL , my kids my family MY WAY... Mad
Back to top Go down
http://amandamariewescott.blogspot.com/
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 4:51 pm

yorkiemom wrote:

So would I. I wonder if they know the child who did it - his name - so that they could contact his parents. I would be ringing the school and school board through the system. Disgusting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 5:18 pm

My daughter was bullied on the bus I pressed charges went to the boys home confronted the fathers and told them any more trouble and I would bring my ball bat and beat the shit out of them !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 6:10 pm

I hate school buses. I dread the thought that my little pint sized grandaughter will have to take the bus this Sept. she's 4 and very tiny. She'll be riding with her big sister but I still worry about them . I think they need cameras on the buses. Or at least have monitors to watch over everything while the driver is driving.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 6:25 pm

jamn53 wrote:
I hate school buses. I dread the thought that my little pint sized grandaughter will have to take the bus this Sept. she's 4 and very tiny. She'll be riding with her big sister but I still worry about them . I think they need cameras on the buses. Or at least have monitors to watch over everything while the driver is driving.

We have both now here in Fl , a aid who rides in the back and cameras .
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 9:16 pm

They have cameras on all of our busses

Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Thu 13 May 2010, 9:18 pm

I think schoool buses should have chaperons on them not just cameras.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Fri 14 May 2010, 6:39 am

Another bully story... Sad

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a 15-year-old Alabama girl who jumped to her death from an interstate overpass had complained of bullying at school and never got over the death of her sister in a freak accident.

Chilton County Coroner Randall Yeargan says Alex Moore of Jemison jumped from an overpass above Interstate 65 near her home Wednesday morning.

Yeargan said Thursday that investigators were trying to determine how much of a role bullying played in the girl’s death.

He says she also had a hard time getting over the accidental death of her older sister, who was electrocuted about two years ago.

The teen’s father, Jim Moore, says relatives didn’t know the extent of the bullying until after Alex’s death. He says she did not mention bullying in a suicide note.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Fri 14 May 2010, 7:35 am

I just don't know why a parent would tolerate their child being bullied . When I had the problem with Jacquelyn the school actually tried to get me not to press charges stating to me that those boys will have a record that will follow them . :roll:

Jacquelyn was in a special program where she was being taught life skills . One day a week the kids would bring a small grocery list clip coupons and go to the store to buy grocery to bring home , another day they would bring laundry catch a city bus go the laundry mat and do laundry , on fri. they all went to the movies or bowling ally . This program cost the parents $50. a week .
The 2 boys I pressed charges against started stealing her money she needed for her program ! They showed her a knife told her they had rats that they would let eat her face if she told .
Believe me I was some kinda pissed , doing this to a handicapped girl wasn't something I thought should go unpunished.
The boys were put on probation and had to pay my Daughter back the money they stole from her .
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Fri 14 May 2010, 9:28 am

OMG Feathers that is awful!! Damn right I would make those parents pay, IMO it's all the parents fault for not teaching their kids proper life skills. Bunch of pussies.....
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Fri 14 May 2010, 10:30 am

Both of my sons have had to deal with a bully incident which (thank God) only lasted one day. When I found out I was very aggressive with the first incident (with my oldest son) in making sure it never occurred again. Had a talk with the school principal then who was very understanding, didn't realize what happened and put an end to it. It was physical and my son came home with a bleeding tooth and also got in trouble at school for trying to defend himself, when he was ganged up and couldn't walk away.

One incident with my youngest child, I didn't know about until the three of us (my son, my dog and myself) were out on a walk and ran into one of the bullies in the neighbourhood. Child came up to my son to talk to him, got a little too close and the dog growled at the child and scared him. Thought it odd, as my dog loves kids and has never growled at a child. Found out two months later about a bullying incident that happened one day on the bus. The bus driver had taken care of it.

I also don't know how some parents can sit back and allow their child to be bullied. When it happened to my oldest child, I was pissed and though I was polite with the principal who handled the matter at school, I was firm in letting them know I won't tolerate this happening again to my son by this other child.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Fri 14 May 2010, 10:44 am

This brings up so much within our education system that makes me so friggin mad.

My daughter had the hands are not for hitting course.. another pet peeve of mine. I teach my kids to Stand up for themselves and for others.

School teaches them to run. What they don't realize is running from a Bully- makes it worse on the kids in Most situations.

Bullying is not tolerated.

A long time ago.... My daughter was only 2 and half. She was in daycare. There was a little girl with downs syndrome her friend. A bigger kid was bullying this little girl. He pushed her off the chair and was pulling on her hair. The little boy was 5 years of age. ( Don't ask me where the friggin workers were). Well little Brianna, decided no one should treat her friend this way. She litterally took him out. She pushed him to the ground. Well the daycare phoned me.. to make a long story short. I stood up for my child. How dare they. I do not believe in violence. But at that age. That is all she knew what to do .. to help her friend.

Some may not agree with me. But I do teach my children to fight BACK. I teach them to use their words. I teach them the 3 strike rule. They are too use their words. If that doesn't help. Then stand up and fight back. It is much easier because of their age groups. But I don't think running away is going to solve the problem. I do advocate words and non violent methods. BUt I as a parent will not accept my child laying down and getting the boots ( as to say) I also teach them to help other kids. If you see another child getting picked on. Step in. Do not sit back and watch it happen.

When they are old enough and understand. They will be taught self defence. ( military style) I want them to be prepared. I fear that it is getting worse out there for kids now adays. It is sad that they need to learn to defend themselves in this day and age. And they should be able to be just kids. BUt it is getting to be a tougher world out there for our little ones.

We are very lucky, to live where we live. OUr neighbors have wonderful kids, who love my children and my children love them. When we first moved. They took it apon themselves to insure that Brianna knew everyone on the bus. We are talking Teenagers here.. LOL.. It was so funny to go into the store ( long time ago) and have teenagers come up and hug your kids. So I have never experienced anything like that around here yet.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Fri 14 May 2010, 11:22 am

Mini, I agree. I teach my kids to fight back, but if it's not a one against one (like in my oldest son's case), then try to walk away if you can. I stood up for my son and discussed with the principal why my son had to fight back. That I felt he should have never gotten in trouble from the dumb ass volunteer mother outside (who was supposed to be watching the kids) for him defending himself. If she saw a group of 5 against 1, would some common sense click in and say this child was most likely trying to defend himself.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Fri 14 May 2010, 5:34 pm

I agree, I teach my kids not to bully or starts fights but if someone hits them then by all means sock em back!
Back to top Go down
*~Skittles~*
Warmed up
Warmed up
*~Skittles~*

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   Sat 15 May 2010, 11:31 am

Mousey wrote:
I agree, I teach my kids not to bully or starts fights but if someone hits them then by all means sock em back!

+1 Exactly!!
Back to top Go down
http://amandamariewescott.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus   

Back to top Go down

Disabled kindergarten boy bullied on bus
Page 1 of 1