Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Volunteer firefighter injured in house explosion on the road to recovery

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Volunteer firefighter injured in house explosion on the road to recovery   Wed 12 May 2010, 7:49 pm

The father of a 21-year-old volunteer firefighter who was injured in a house explosion says his son is in good spirits and remains at the University of Alberta Hospital.

Werner Heim tells CTV News his son Bob, is now recovering at the hospital's trauma unit.

The 21-year-old, along with five other volunteers, were doing a controlled burn on an abandoned farm house Monday night when the building exploded.

"We were in the kitchen doing things and then we heard a bang," said Werner Heim. "It must have been quite a huge explosion."

Werner's son has been a volunteer firefighter with the Edgerton unit for a few years. The group was performing a regular training exercise, which was something they did every two weeks.

Bob and two others were told to search the building for risks, but reported that they didn't see any.

"They did everything according to the book," said Werner.

Edmonton Fire Chief Ken Block says when firefighters are dealing with a live fire, things can quickly go wrong.

It's not known what went wrong during Monday's controlled burn, but Block says training can be even more dangerous than the real thing.

"If you're responding to a live event, you've got your game face on and sometimes at a training exercise it can be downplayed a little bit," said Block.

Edmonton fire fighters don't use old buildings to practice their skills any more. They have a facility in the west-end. Block says every exercise is carefully planned.

Werner says it will take some time for his son to recover from the incident.

"Part of a wall hit his legs, that's why they're broken and he lost his helmet, he knocked his head on the ground, he broke the arm in the process and some debris opened up the shoulder."

Wainwright's fire chief tells CTV News explosives experts from the RCMP's K Division are now assisting in the investigation

Comment: I know it was an exercise.. so what would cause the explosion- Did they not ensure the house was safe IE gas turned off. But this is a catch 22- Because how can this be trainning if all " safety measures were in place" Shouldn't trainning be the " real thing" ?
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Volunteer firefighter injured in house explosion on the road to recovery   Wed 12 May 2010, 8:26 pm

I saw this on the news this morning. Off subject a little but did you hear about the house in Quebec that got hit with the landslide, it's in a sink hole now and a whole family is missing!
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Volunteer firefighter injured in house explosion on the road to recovery   Wed 12 May 2010, 8:28 pm

Mousey wrote:
I saw this on the news this morning. Off subject a little but did you hear about the house in Quebec that got hit with the landslide, it's in a sink hole now and a whole family is missing!

Oh, I heard about that..

What a terrible thing to happen......
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

PostSubject: Re: Volunteer firefighter injured in house explosion on the road to recovery   Wed 12 May 2010, 11:56 pm

Both of these cases are weird.

They burn houses like that to observe how the fire will burn the house. They are essentially studying fire.

That mudslide/house thing is so weird. I am no geologist and cannot wrap my head around how it is even possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Volunteer firefighter injured in house explosion on the road to recovery   

Back to top Go down

Volunteer firefighter injured in house explosion on the road to recovery
Page 1 of 1