Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I Failed Miserably

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: I Failed Miserably   Mon 01 Feb 2010, 1:00 am

A few weeks ago I attempted to help a dog rescue by taking on what I thought would be a task I could do, which was managing their website and doing updates for them. It was terribly complicated and nothing like a regular website that I have tons of experience with. I am very upset that I had to admit defeat tonight and let the poor dogs down...I just can't do it and had to confess to them I tried to take on more than I could handle. I asked for help on Kijiji and Angus shed a tad of light but it just beyond my computer skills. I gave warning initially that I was having problems grasping Mozilla and FileZilla which was needed to get into their files and even when I did manage to make changes they didn't register as saved when I loaded the new files.

Many evenings I left my PC on all night and the files were half loaded. I offered to make a second duplicate website for them and spent countless hours transferring their info on to the new site but Friday they told me the old website is well know by millions and they will lose site traffic and funding if they switch websites. I am so done...seemed like a good idea at the time but not so much now. I really wish this would have worked out and suggested that they find someone else who can manage their existing site or at minimum have someone "who can" go to the original site and place a huge notice and a click link to the new site I started, actually half loaded to redirect. Out of ideas, nobody seems to know the details of the complicated original site to take it over and I wish I had left it alone in the first place...but the poor dogs...ack. Note to self...no more volunteering unless it's something I can actually do and not just think I can. :pale:

So something I can do...anyone have a February idea for a new logo...post your pictures and ideas. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Mon 01 Feb 2010, 1:28 am

Sorry to hear things didn't turn out how you wanted them too.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Mon 01 Feb 2010, 11:31 am

pooperscooper wrote:
A few weeks ago I attempted to help a dog rescue by taking on what I thought would be a task I could do, which was managing their website and doing updates for them. It was terribly complicated and nothing like a regular website that I have tons of experience with. I am very upset that I had to admit defeat tonight and let the poor dogs down...I just can't do it and had to confess to them I tried to take on more than I could handle. I asked for help on Kijiji and Angus shed a tad of light but it just beyond my computer skills. I gave warning initially that I was having problems grasping Mozilla and FileZilla which was needed to get into their files and even when I did manage to make changes they didn't register as saved when I loaded the new files.

Many evenings I left my PC on all night and the files were half loaded. I offered to make a second duplicate website for them and spent countless hours transferring their info on to the new site but Friday they told me the old website is well know by millions and they will lose site traffic and funding if they switch websites. I am so done...seemed like a good idea at the time but not so much now. I really wish this would have worked out and suggested that they find someone else who can manage their existing site or at minimum have someone "who can" go to the original site and place a huge notice and a click link to the new site I started, actually half loaded to redirect. Out of ideas, nobody seems to know the details of the complicated original site to take it over and I wish I had left it alone in the first place...but the poor dogs...ack. Note to self...no more volunteering unless it's something I can actually do and not just think I can. :pale:

So something I can do...anyone have a February idea for a new logo...post your pictures and ideas. Smile Smile Smile

Personally, the way I see it you didn't fail in the least. Making an attempt to help IMO is not failing. Ok....so you had some computer issues, and difficulty with their difficult website....at least you made a effort. You have to give yourself some credit, since after all it was all volunteer work, and you probably didn't get paid for your time. I'm hoping to send you something (I haven't forgotten that you make awesome siggys). I'm just kinda awaiting some more pictures.
Back to top Go down
Izzy
Settling in
Settling in
Izzy

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Mon 01 Feb 2010, 9:00 pm

Pooper, you gave it your best shot, and that is all that counts !!! Very Happy Very Happy

Feb theme ............ black and white pintos Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Mon 01 Feb 2010, 9:09 pm

I wouldn't call it a failure at all,a learning experience describes it better,you tried and you gave it
your best shot.

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Mon 01 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm

K-Flash wrote:
Personally, the way I see it you didn't fail in the least. Making an attempt to help IMO is not failing. Ok....so you had some computer issues, and difficulty with their difficult website....at least you made a effort. You have to give yourself some credit, since after all it was all volunteer work, and you probably didn't get paid for your time. I'm hoping to send you something (I haven't forgotten that you make awesome siggys). I'm just kinda awaiting some more pictures.

+1 Smile

Polar bears for a February scene sounds cool.

Then black and white pintos for an April theme. When I think of horses for some strange reason I think of spring time coming.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Tue 02 Feb 2010, 12:27 am

Thanks for the upbeat responses. Uh oh I'm afraid I worked on the polar bear theme before the Pinto suggestion...next month. Dammit though...photobucket shrunk the logo so again it's a redo...lol, story of my life.
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Tue 02 Feb 2010, 10:32 pm

WoooHoooo Polar bears cheers
Back to top Go down
JJ
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 12:26 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
K-Flash wrote:

+1 Smile

Then black and white pintos for an April theme. When I think of horses for some strange reason I think of spring time coming.

Did March fall off your calendar? lol
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 1:27 am

JJ wrote:
BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
K-Flash wrote:

+1 Smile

I thought that also JJ...but if we do ignore March will spring get here faster? I am soooo tired of snow. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 1:31 am

I am back as the new webmaster for the meantime as they finally listened to me. They are going to work with me instead of against me... likely because they have no other option. So I am happy and hope the dogs get the help they need. Crossed fingers. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Izzy
Settling in
Settling in
Izzy

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Tue 09 Feb 2010, 9:23 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I like the Polar Bears cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Tue 09 Feb 2010, 11:56 pm

JJ wrote:
BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
K-Flash wrote:

+1 Smile

Giggle I just saw this comment. I don't like the month of March, I try to avoid it as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Tue 09 Feb 2010, 11:57 pm

pooperscooper wrote:
I am back as the new webmaster for the meantime as they finally listened to me. They are going to work with me instead of against me... likely because they have no other option. So I am happy and hope the dogs get the help they need. Crossed fingers. Smile Smile Smile

8)
Back to top Go down
JJ
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   Wed 10 Feb 2010, 12:33 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
JJ wrote:
BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
K-Flash wrote:

+1 Smile

Giggle I just saw this comment. I don't like the month of March, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I saw a perfect opportunity to be funny!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Failed Miserably   

Back to top Go down

I Failed Miserably
Page 1 of 1