Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ACL surgery

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan 2010, 5:30 pm

Had sophie to the vet today and found out she has a torn ACL and needs surgery. Has anyone else here gone through this with there dogs?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan 2010, 8:51 pm

They told me drake had the same thing. Didn't go for the surgery.. Even though at my vets it is a fraction of the cost. Lots of reasons why..

However, put him on these pills.. made amazing improvements.

Sorry not much help in that department.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan 2010, 9:20 pm

What pills did you put Drake on?

I'm going to do the surgery, Sophies only 4, if she was older I might not put her through it.
The vet said it would never get better only worse. He said when all was said and done it would cost about $2800. I paid $500 just for today, vet care is so expensive.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan 2010, 9:49 pm

I have drake on Cetyl M
Joint action for dogs

JOint action formula I get it from Jeffersons equine online.

I
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 12:01 pm

Been doing more research on the TPLO surgery and have decided I am not going to rush into the surgery with sophie.
Back to top Go down

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010, 1:54 am

rotncorso wrote:
Been doing more research on the TPLO surgery and have decided I am not going to rush into the surgery with sophie.

Hey rotncorso....just wondering if you have an update on your girl. What did you decide?....any news?
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2010, 1:44 pm

Right now sophie is on restricted exercise. The vet is supposed to call me after he talks to another vet to see if there were any other options besides TPLO. She's doing fine, no pain or limping but she also hasnt been running like she's use to. I've read some articles by vets that suggest that some vets are quick to recommend this because its such a huge moneymaker.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010, 2:23 pm

Just checking in to read any updates on Sophie. I have no experience with dogs with torn ACLs. I don't blame you for not wanting to rush into the surgery, from another forum it sounds like it's a huge money maker for vets.
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010, 9:32 pm

The vet said there's no reason to rush into the surgery so we are trying the restricted exersise for 8 weeks. I dont know, The surgery scares me. I've read so much on it, vet sites are going to push it of course, then I've read hunting forums where owners didnt do the surgery and their dogs recovered well and went on hunting. We will see. I feel so bad for her not being able to run around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ACL surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACL surgery   ACL surgery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ACL surgery
Page 1 of 1