Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

R.I.P. Joey

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: R.I.P. Joey   Mon 28 Dec 2009, 12:58 pm

On Christmas day, I learned that my aunt's rescued cockatiel that she's had for 25 years passed away of natural causes on December 2nd. Though he was not a friendly bird due to not being properly socialized by his previous owner, within a few months of learned to trust my aunt. I've never come across a bird that has lived such a good long life. Her previous cockatiel lived to the age of 17. R.I.P. Joey
Back to top Go down
Izzy
Settling in
Settling in
Izzy

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Joey   Mon 28 Dec 2009, 11:21 pm

Awwwwwwww that is sad Crying or Very sad

Did you know this posted twice ?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Joey   Mon 28 Dec 2009, 11:44 pm

Izzy wrote:
Awwwwwwww that is sad Crying or Very sad

Did you know this posted twice ?

I didn't realize it posted twice, that's the downfall of being on dial-up. Everything takes so long to load and sometimes I end up double posting and not even knowing it.

I always advocate that people get their pets from breeders rather than pet stores. Joey is a petstore store, lived 25 years. The previous cockatiel Mandy was also a petstore bird that lived 17 years. Around 5 years ago, when Sasha passed away, a female cockatiel that was dumped at my aunt's place by her co-worker. Yeah, people know my aunt's a bird person and tend to dump their cockatiels and budgies off on her when they grow tired of them. Anyhoo, when Sasha died, as a Christmas gift to my aunt, I wanted to get Joey a buddy so he wouldn't be lonely. Not to mate, just another bird to keep him company. My aunt liked the idea and we knew of a breeder who shows and breeds, and rescues birds. I took my aunt with me to pick out the bird that she wanted. She wanted another male cockatiel, instead of a female. While we were there at the breeders, she saw a pretty coloured male budgie that she liked. So I bought her the cockatiel (my sister and I) for Christmas, and my aunt bought herself the budgie.

Jimmy the budgie, died two years after we purchased him from some growth on his chest. Jesse the cockatiel from the breeder died three years later. I'm starting to think that petstore birds are healthier. It could have been just this breeder. Sasha was also a petstore bird, and lived to around 18 years of age before she had a heart attack and passed away.

IDK, my aunt just seems to have better luck with petstore birds.
Back to top Go down
Izzy
Settling in
Settling in
Izzy

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Joey   Tue 29 Dec 2009, 12:07 am

Maybe she is just good with birds ?? I had two budgies when I was younger, Bonnie and Clyde......... both were from a pet store. I got them at the same time, and both lived for 5 yrs and then passed away. Within a week of each other.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Joey   Fri 08 Jan 2010, 3:55 pm

Rest well little guy.

It sounds like he had a good life with your aunt. 25 is a very impressive age for a teil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Joey   

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Joey
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Small Animals and Reptiles-
Jump to: