Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

Really?   Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired Empty
PostSubject: Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired   Really?   Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired Icon_minitimeThu 25 Oct 2012, 11:08 am

Maybe they should cancel Halloween, I'm sure there are a ton of costumes that could offend someone. This shit makes me want to fucking puke.

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/25/blind-ref-costume-outrages-visually-impaired

A Canadian society for the blind is outraged by a U.S. company for selling Halloween costumes locally that allow people to dress up as a “blind referee,” in reference to bad sports officiating.

Carolyn Gunn, president of the Alliance for Equality of Blind Canadians’ Nanaimo, B.C., chapter, said she found the costume at the Spirit Halloween costume shop recently and confronted the manager.

“It came with sunglasses, a foldable-collapsible tapping stick and a referee shirt. I couldn’t believe it. I was completely devastated,” she said Wednesday.

“What kind of message is that relaying to kids? Or adults? There’s enough of a barrier going on for people with disabilities, this is just a mockery of the whole thing.”

Speaking as legal counsel for the New Jersey-based company’s head office, Kevin Mahoney told QMI Agency the company did not intend to discriminate against the visually impaired.

“It was not our intention to mock anyone who may be suffering from blindness or being impaired with that regard,” he said.

“The referee costume and the accessories are just to play upon the common theme or joke regarding blind referees. That’s a theme that’s certainly widespread, you’ll see other costumes sold on the Internet.”

Gunn, however, said she’s more concerned by how some may wear the costume and use the cane on Halloween, presenting a danger that drivers could get confused and disregard yielding to actual people with blindness.

According to a section of B.C.’s Guide Animal Act, “A person who is not a blind person according to accepted medical standards must not carry or use a white cane.”

A “white cane” is defined under the act as a cane or walking stick with at least the upper-two-thirds coloured white.

Mahoney said the company hasn’t made any decision yet to pull the product from shelves, but said they will investigate.

“We’ll certainly evaluate the issue.”
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired   Really?   Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired Icon_minitimeThu 25 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

People are taking offence to this? I think it's funny...
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired   Really?   Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired Icon_minitimeThu 25 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm

There are far too many sensitive people out there... I get irritated with them all.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired   Really?   Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired Icon_minitimeThu 25 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm

I don't see anything offensive with the costume.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired   Really?   Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired Icon_minitimeFri 26 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Blind people have never been offended by this costume. It's people that know others that may have vision impairments (is that the pc term these days?) that are causing a stink.

I bet the children of this woman wore monster and serial killer (Jason, Freddy, etc.) costumes for Halloween. You know, because people (real or make believe) that kill others are ok and not offensive in any way. eyeroll
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired   Really?   Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Really? Blind ref costume outrages visually impaired
Page 1 of 1