Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs Empty
PostSubject: Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs   Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs Icon_minitimeFri 14 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm

Who do you think should be held accountable architect and construction company, the City of Calgary, or the owners should just suck it up after all it's buyer beware? Explain your reasoning behind your opinion.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/calgary-condo-owners-face-big-repair-bills-215425180.html

A Calgary architect is trying to turn the page on one of the city's largest condo repair projects, which left many residents of the leaky building with repair bills in the thousands.

The Bella Vista in the city's southwest required millions of dollars to fix several leaks that caused mould.

Residents first learned of the problem a few years ago and the condo board began substantial repairs at a cost of $4 million soon after.

"We had to basically strip off the enclosure — the entire enclosure, all the stucco, roofing, flashing," said Tang Lee, an architect whose team fixed many of the problems.

"There were some issues with the design, as well as the construction, workmanship," Lee said.

At least a dozen unit owners fell into foreclosure because they were unable to pay their share repair bill, with some assessments coming in around $80,000.

It was reported one owner had to pay over $180,000, which is a record high in Alberta.

"We are all sitting on mortgages like everyone else, so it's a mortgage payment and condo fees, and it just seems a bit unfathomable," said Tricia Stephens who owns a unit.

Other owners tried to get legal help.

"Well, I went to two lawyers,” explained Nick Mascarenhas.

“They both told me ‘Nick, don't throw good money at bad money.’ They advised me to file for bankruptcy, walk away, cut your losses — but I realized I'm here; I don't want to lose my car, credit cards and have to change different things."

Mascarenhas ended up staying and borrowed cash to cover his bill.

"I've had to change my schedule, get a different job — I now do a 60-hour work week, just to compensate for that extra payment," he said.

The Bella Vista is now fully repaired, but the condo board is suing the people who built it.

The developer maintains it's not at fault, saying the building passed inspection.

A year and a half ago, the people who lived at Bella Vista called a press conference.

The residents had just been handed their repair bills for their condos totalling in the thousands.

The building is less than 10 years old, but there were problems with the roof, eaves and parkade.

The repair bills were crippling for the residents — many of whom had high-risk mortgages and little savings.

Since that time, 20 of the unit owners were handed foreclosure notices. Many, but not all, lost their homes.

Martiza Rodriguez lives on the fourth floor of the Bella Vista.

She is one of the owners who are dealing with foreclosure. But instead of packing up and leaving, Rodriguez is fighting to keep her home.

She runs a small spa from the second floor loft and describes her condo as her oasis — or it was, until about six years ago.

“So I would have been here three to four years, when I had horrendous leak in my window. I actually had to put buckets under the window to hold the water when it rained or the snow was melting. It was incredible. And the problem just got worse by the year."

The three-year-old condo was crumbling, the one-year developer's warranty was up and insurance wouldn't cover it.

When the owners divided up the repair bill, Rodriguez’s share came to $105,000.

“First of all, I saw the letter, I put it away and I was in shock. I had to continue working because I had to. It took me five days to start talking about it and talking with my neighbours, and talking with each other.

"I was frightened. I was devastated. It affected me physically and emotionally in every way. Especially when you don't have $100,000 in the bank to write a cheque for that amount and they only give you a few months to pay it.”

Rodriguez was unable to get her mortgage refinanced, so her mortgage company started foreclosure proceedings, but she dug in her heels and put her mortgage payments aside each month — even though the mortgage company refused to accept them.

She’s been in and out of court trying to convince the company to let her refinance. Her lawyer Clive Llewellen is defending her pro-bono.

“Maritza did nothing wrong. She got caught in circumstances that were beyond her control. I thought from the beginning that I could persuade the lender to drop it, I thought it would be an easy task, but I've been in it for the long haul,” said Llewellen.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs   Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs Icon_minitimeMon 17 Sep 2012, 6:41 am

Holy crow, that's awful! The Developer isn't responsible because it passed inspection, really? They're not responsible because their shoddy design/workmanship wasn't detected after the fact. Really?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs   Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs Icon_minitimeTue 18 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

UnhingedMom wrote:
Holy crow, that's awful! The Developer isn't responsible because it passed inspection, really? They're not responsible because their shoddy design/workmanship wasn't detected after the fact. Really?

I know I thought the same thing. I would even go as far as to sue the City of Calgary also for passing the shotty inspection job, but that would only come out of tax payers money to fund their legal fees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs   Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calgary Condo Owners Still Paying for Big Repairs
Page 1 of 1