Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Empty
PostSubject: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitimeMon 23 Apr 2012, 7:04 pm

The furry animal ones (had to clarify that ... lol). The couple of years I've seen this big black cat in the field behind my home. I haven't told too many people about it because I had a feeling they wouldn't believe anyways. Plus I didn't have any proof. Last November, I purchased a digital camera from my friend that has 20x zoom. This way I can stand in my backyard and zoom into the field when I see it and take nice clear pictures of this cat as if I were standing 5ft from it. Over the past couple of months there have been cougar sightings in my area. You're probably wondering what's the big deal. Cougars are native to the Southwest Ontario area. Still I didn't tell too many people as the cougars that have been sighted were a fawn colour, the one I saw was black. While doing a Google search, came across two news stories where cougar sightings were spotted in Southwestern Ontario where two black cougars were spotted. Now if I can only get a pic or a video to post on here the next time I see it.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2703758

http://www.thechronicle-online.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=2071356
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitimeTue 24 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

Scarey :o
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 7:16 pm

It is pretty scarey Mousey, but at the same time interesting. I'm hoping to be able to get a picture of it this summer and post on here. The hard part is I only see it maybe once to twice a year.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 7:55 pm

I would love to catch pics of them...
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 8:34 pm

BBE you might find this interesting......it's a response to an article from August 2010 regard what the owners feel was a cougar attack on two of their horses in NS.

"Just a comment on this apparent cvonfusion about panthers and cougars. The Florida panther and the eastern panther are....cougars.

Some say the critter must be black on order to be a panther Nope.

The black cougar is in what is known as a melanistic phase.....that is, a little quirk has made them black (and they are not supposed to be as rare as some think).

The late Noel Doucette, former executive drector of the Union of Nova Scotia Indians and chief of the Chapel Islanbd band once saw a large black cougar trot along a woods road ahead of him and a friend as they motored down a woods road in the Chapel Island area."

Original article with video.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/08/25/ns-horses-attacked-cougar.html

I still don't understand how DNR can refute the possibility that this was done by cougars..........a bear? coyotes? not bloody likely.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 9:11 pm

Rottnmom, thank you for posting that link. It's funny when there are 25 to 50 reports every year, the the Department of Natural Resources denies the are cougars in the NS area.

The one in my area, two of my neighbours have seen the black cougar up close. One couple when they were pulling into their driveway late at night and it ran out in front of their car (this was a couple years ago). My other neighbour (last summer) as she was riding her horse along the side of her property. The cougar jumped out of the bushes right in front of her and scared her house. She was lucky she wasn't injured.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitimeSat 28 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

We've had some Coyote attacks here in town. They attacked dogs and deer right into people's yards! They shot the one that attacked the dear.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/01/08/nb-coyote-attack-video.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario   Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cougar Sightings in Southwest Ontario
Page 1 of 1