Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mentorship Program

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

So as some of you know. I am doing a mentorship program for high risk kids. Well part of my xmas present was to take them out for a nice lunch and then bring them back here to meet the animals. Usually I would haul the animals to the school. We have been working on trust just with me one on one with each child. Every thursdays I would head into town. And every thursdays we would have something planned. To build the trust in me.. Then I will start working with each one of them by using spice or one of my other animals.

Just to give you some back ground info. I presented a slide show to the school and this is how it all started. I am a strong believer in giving back to our community. There are a couple things in my life that I am very passionate about. Children, animals and the military. I knew some of my critters have come from horrid pasts. But they are very kid friendly. They all love children. So why not put the 2 together and help children. So this brings me to the mentorship program.

This whole experience has opened my eyes. It is one thing to talk about the needs of high risk kids, but it is another thing to be involved with them. I just want to wrap them in my arms and take it all away. All their pain. In the short time, they have come along way.

So last thursday. I picked them up at school. I brought my truck. As the one boy loves trucks and has never been in a truck. I had to help him in the truck.. LOL ( I have no running boards)

So off we go to the restaurant. At the restaurant. They were so concerned in how much the meal would cost. I had to keep telling them. Order what you want. Don't worry about it. This is my treat. You could tell they were nervous. Because they would be interested in something then.. they would say.. oh that is alot of money. But finally they decided they would share a pizza. They said they would eat a small pizza between them to save me money....argg.. so when the waitress came. I ordered them a large. They said they would have water. argg.. I ordered them orange pop. ( I know they like orange pop from our previous meetings) As we waited for our meal. I gave them their christmas gifts. To see their eyes.. pop open. Was something that touched my heart. For the boy.. I bought him a model kit, a scrap book and lots of chocolate and some christmas ordaments. For the girl she got a huge nail kit( as she loves doing nails) A scrapbook and the various goodies. I told them. That I get to keep the scrap book and throughout the year I will take pictures of them and the animals. Then we will make their scrapbooks together. They litterally stared at me in misbelief.

After their tummies were full we headed to my place. They chatted amongst themselves. They admittted that they never have seen any animal or touch any animals besides dogs and cats. WoW they were in for a treat.. LMAO

So we got to my house. I had to go inside and switch to my work boots as I had cowboy boots on. They got to meet dennis. ( that is another story-- lol they had so many questions for him as he was army and they wanted to know everything about tanks ( the little boy) lol.. and dennis did answer him, at the end just before we were to return. Dennis also gave the little boy a couple of army trinkits and some pictures. The little boy was so happy)

So after I got changed. We headed to Boscos pen.. They both have never seen a dog so big. They were very nervous. You can tell. So I thought.. hmm better start them with something a little more not so intimadting. We headed to the donkeys pen. Loaded with carrots and treats. They were nervous at first... but the little boy was standing their. I swear momma donkey knew he was nervous. She came and stood right beside him. Took her head and nuzzled his hand. He started to pet her and then wanted to give her a treat. YOu shouldve of seen him smile. He got to pet the other little horses. But belgium ( my littlest horse) usually hates people adults anyways. He is always leary of strangers. BUt him and this little boy became fast friends. The girl loved Donkeys spot. ( you put your hand between honkey's ears- and he put his ears back LOL, We call it honkeys' button.

So off I take them to the goat pasture. They got to feed the goats grain from their hands. Molly ate grain from their hands. They were laughing and smiling and talking. Then we went to the alpaca pen.. LOL.. they got to feed the alpacas and watch them spit at each other. Then we went to see spice and sugar foot. Instant love. SPice and sugar love kids. We walked along the pasture saw coyote tracks. THey had so many questions.... I penned the pyrs.. Because they can be pretty intimadating..

So we went inside for hot chocolate and marshmellows. The little boy ( who was the most nervous) finished his hot chocolate and wanted to go outside again.. and pet belgium and the animals. Round 2. He was not shy or nervous. Walked up to them all............................

Then my animals decide to give them a show.. LMFAO. My male alpaca was in the mood.. and decided to show the kids how alpacas do it. OMG how do you explain to them.. hmmmmm He is dominating the herd. I really didn't want them to go into a sex ed class.. Then momma cow is in heat.. and she does what cows in heat do.. She mounted sunshine at the same time I am trying to explain that the alpacas are doing... OMG my animals had to choose that time to be horny. I sai that she was playing. Last thing I wanted is their parents to think that they got a sex show coming here.

So we loaded up in the truck to go back. They laughed an talke the whole way back. It was the most amazing thing. These 2 kids had a hard time opening up. And now they were laughing and gigling. I dropped them off at their classes. As I walked down the hall ways from their classes.. All I can hear is their excited voices telling their teachers about their afternoon.... It was an amazing day. I hope to repeat time and time again. For once, they got to be kids. They got to touch animals and feed them. They smiled and laughed. It was a great experience for them. BUt I don't know who got more enjoyment that day. Me or them.

Here are some pics.. I took lots but I am posting some you can't see their faces.. So they are not the best.. Cause I wish I could show you their smiles .....

Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 2:58 pm

What a wonderful christmas present you gave those kids. This is the nicest thing I've heard in a while. Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down
JJ
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 5:33 pm

That's an amazing story Mini and I send you a warm, warm hug for warming those kids' hearts.

Amazing people do amazing things and you are one!!
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 5:57 pm

You are a great role model for all people. You've done a wonderful thing that these kids will love for the rest of their lives.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 6:27 pm

oh gosh people, dont put meon this soap box...............lol i am far from perfect. I am very lucky to have a kid friendly herd. They will in the future do all the work. I get so much enjoyment just to see te looks on their faces. i think they are touching my heart and making more of an impact on my life.. then i can even come close to making on their lives.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 6:31 pm

Great story Mini. You gave those children something they will never forget.

Thanks for caring. ((HUGS))

We accept the love we think we deserve.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 6:49 pm

Looks like everyone had a great time. I know that will be a day that will remain with them for years to come. Though I think Bosco would be less intimidating than the donkeys, but that's just me. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 9:27 pm

Mini I have to tell you what you are doing means so much to the children and their parents . Through the years there have been many people reach out to my daughter and she so enjoyed it .
One of her favorite places to go every summer is Gods helping hands farm , the staff there introduce the children to animals have horses for them to ride , the glow the children and young adults have on their faces is priceless .

Keep up the good work and you will find that you and your family will get more out of helping bring joy to others than you ever imagined !

May God bless you and your family Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 10:47 pm

What a wonderful story Mini...kids and animals are a really good means for kids to relax and open up. Good Job woman. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   Sun 20 Dec 2009, 11:30 pm

Mini I can just tell from the way you spoke that your heart 'grew' a few more sizes today. Bless you for taking these kids under your wing and teaching them that the world can be a good place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mentorship Program   

Back to top Go down

Mentorship Program
Page 1 of 1