Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 12:43 pm

Ok...so I was at a Christmas function last night, and was being chastised for wanting to buy a real tree. I've always had real trees. To me, it's tradition, and nostalgic to smell the pine at Christmas time. Some who know me well, know that I'm pretty hyper-sensitive towards preserving Mother earth. They were saying that I wasn't being environmentally friendly. I suppose in this situation, I'm probably not. I hate to think of tree lots throwing away unsold trees post Christmas.

So, I got to thinking....who buys a fresh tree year after year, and who pulls out the ol' synthetic one?

Part of my justification/reasoning for not buying a fake one, is storage. Hubby & I live in a small house with little garage space and shed in the yard is full of quad & camping stuff.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 1:13 pm

Always had real trees until my husband died in canada and just didn't have

the interest in it anymore so went to artifical,I really hate them and they do look fake no matter what you do to them

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 2:20 pm

I love real trees..

However....... when my cats climb my fake one.. I couldn't imagine having needles all over the place.. maybe when they are not stinkers and mature a little ( yeah right) we can have a real one
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 5:30 pm

We've always had a real tree. I love the freshness and the smell. A little piece of nature right in our house. It brings back so many memories of me and my dad out tromping the woods, him scaling up and sawing the top off only to find when it hit the ground it wasn't a perfect as he thought.....oh well, it'll go in one of the barrels out on the lawn. Hauling two or three back home with us and decorating as a family.

Last year I caved and went along with hubby on getting a pre-lit one Crying or Very sad I do all the other decorating so doing the tree has been his job for the last number of years. He found doing the lights a pain and whined until I gave in. Well let me tell you, they cram those suckers into a box only a tree trunk should fit in so it took him three hours the first time to get it 'fluffed'. This year it was only two hours, as I used a larger box for two parts and the other was just bagged. He's not as enthralled with it now, figures it's just as easy to go buy one and throw it away later. My only beef (and it's my fault) is that by the time I can bear to part with the tree it's already petrified and won't fit through any doorways, so it usually explodes in a massive shower of needles all over the house.

The tree does look nice when it's done, but it just doesn't feel the same. I even miss the mess when it's gone Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 8:02 pm

We always have fake. My mom used to get real ones for a while but she hasn't since dad died.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 9:34 pm

Since I've lived on my own.. I've only ever had fake trees....My mother only recently started getting real trees... my whole life has been fake trees.

Settling in
Izzy

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 11:33 pm

We have two small fake ones. Fiber optic ones. Growing up we always had a real tree.

I did hear of a cool thing this one company is doing. You buy a real tree and it stays planted in a container. Then after Christmas you return it to them and the next year you get the same one back again. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Mon 14 Dec 2009, 10:12 am

Izzy wrote:
We have two small fake ones. Fiber optic ones. Growing up we always had a real tree.

I did hear of a cool thing this one company is doing. You buy a real tree and it stays planted in a container. Then after Christmas you return it to them and the next year you get the same one back again. Very Happy

That's a fantastic idea! I'd totally support that.

We went out yesterday, and picked one up at Save-on-Foods. It cost us $36.00. Nice little tree. Since it's been so cold here (yes....-35 this morning), we brought it in to unthaw, and will start the decorating tonight.

I'll admit, there are some beautiful fake trees out there. I'd just have a hard time storing them in the off season since they come in such big boxes.
Back to top Go down
*~Skittles~*
Warmed up
Warmed up
*~Skittles~*

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Mon 14 Dec 2009, 10:53 am

Real.. love the smell..
Back to top Go down
http://amandamariewescott.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   Mon 14 Dec 2009, 4:48 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
Always had real trees until my husband died in canada and just didn't have the interest in it anymore so went to artifical,I really hate them and they do look fake no matter what you do to them

I totally get what you're saying yorkiemom. Sorry to hear about your hubby. When I was single (although I loved real trees), I wasn't about to play the ol' lumberjack role, and sling a huge real tree over my shoulder. I had a miniature fiber optic one that swivelled.

Thankfully, I've managed to convince my hubby to buy into my request for a real tree year after year. But sometimes it takes a lot of buy in from him, since he compares real tree prices ($35-$85), and wonders why we don't just get a permanent one for $125.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?   

Back to top Go down

Christmas Trees....Real or Fake?
Page 1 of 1