Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Herding Instinct Test

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Herding Instinct Test   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

I was going to wait to post this and share with everyone last weekend, a lot of pet sadness and it didn't feel right posting this here.

Last weekend, I took my dog to do the herding instinct test and she passed.

The judge commented on what a nice dog she is, and how she never once bit or nipped at the sheep.

My dog didn't know what to make of them at first. First she thought they were some weird breed of dog, because after scoping out the pen, she did a play bow at them. When they didn't bark and take her bow as a "let's play", she went over the one sheep that had separated from the herd, did the doggy butt sniff greeting. Sheep turned around to face her (they were face to face), and put his head down and she sniffed the top of his head, then looked at him. We did get a lot of laughs from the crowd from her comedy act, but when she herded the stray sheep back over to the herd, then a light bulb turned on what she was supposed to do. From there she was herding the sheep. It was fun but a long day.

P.S. One day, I still want a house on a farm with three sheep. lol
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Herding Instinct Test   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:42 pm

That's wonderful news BBE!!!
I'm sorry if I made you feel the need to hold it back.

I would have been happy to read a post like that.
It sounds like a fun day.
Did you get pics?

I like my pics to look at. Razz
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Herding Instinct Test   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

Congrats.

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Herding Instinct Test   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 6:43 pm

Jerseyfivedogs wrote:
That's wonderful news BBE!!!
I'm sorry if I made you feel the need to hold it back.

I would have been happy to read a post like that.
It sounds like a fun day.
Did you get pics?

I like my pics to look at. Razz

Jersey, don't be sorry. You never made me feel the need to hold it back. To me the timing to post just didn't feel right. When I logged on here I was 1 million times more concerned with your fur babies were doing (than my news), the passing of other members fur babies who were also grieving, and praying for a miracle for you and your fur babies.

I forgot my camera to have my son video tape it. I was already on the highway when I remembered but no time to swing back home to get it.
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Herding Instinct Test   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 9:42 pm

Congrats! I'm so excited for you and I can totally picture her with the sheep.

We accept the love we think we deserve.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Herding Instinct Test   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the congrats.

The instructor / judge was concerned when I walked in with my dog. I'm guessing some of the dogs earlier in the day were very rough with the sheep. When we stepped into the pen, there was so much wool (clumps of it) from the other dogs being rough. She kept sounding like a broken record and stating to me that she has to do whatever to protect her sheep. I explained to her that I was well aware of this before registering for the test and understand. I knew my dog would not be rough with the sheep, if that were the case I would have had 6 dead cats, and there would have been aggression shown in obedience classes towards the other dogs (big and small). When the instructor / judge was able to see how she behaved around the sheep, she became more relaxed. At least that's how it appeared to me. You can tell I'm on cloud 9. I was able to prove that my Rottie was a lot better around the sheep than the GSD, the Collies, and the Border Collies. Every positive experience with her proves people wrong about the Rottweiler breed.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Herding Instinct Test   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:33 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the congrats.

The instructor / judge was concerned when I walked in with my dog. I'm guessing some of the dogs earlier in the day were very rough with the sheep. When we stepped into the pen, there was so much wool (clumps of it) from the other dogs being rough. She kept sounding like a broken record and stating to me that she has to do whatever to protect her sheep. I explained to her that I was well aware of this before registering for the test and understand. I knew my dog would not be rough with the sheep, if that were the case I would have had 6 dead cats, and there would have been aggression shown in obedience classes towards the other dogs (big and small). When the instructor / judge was able to see how she behaved around the sheep, she became more relaxed. At least that's how it appeared to me. You can tell I'm on cloud 9. I was able to prove that my Rottie was a lot better around the sheep than the GSD, the Collies, and the Border Collies. Every positive experience with her proves people wrong about the Rottweiler breed.

That's Great BBE. Wonderful in fact!!! Speaks for the time and effort you have put into your dog and bonus is that you are right about proving people wrong about their negativity about your breed. 👍 👍 👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herding Instinct Test   

Back to top Go down

Herding Instinct Test
Page 1 of 1