Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Something You Would NEVER Have Expected

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Thu 30 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

I'm taking a Brad Patterson class tonight. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:33 pm

The question is why?

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

Ya, what she said?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:34 pm

Shocked :lol:

I think it's good, even if you don't agree with someone's training methods to hear them out. You can find small tidbits of information.

Now what the others have asked, just curious what made you decide to try out one of his classes?
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 1:40 am

Lost my entire post...too tired to redo it tonight. Details tomorrow but it went good!!!

Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

Looks so cute sitting there.

Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:34 pm

kbullet wrote:
Looks so cute sitting there.

Smile Smile Smile TY
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Sat 02 Jul 2011, 1:08 am

The WHY was because I was invited and after some thought decided we would go to use it as a training tool. I have some shows coming up and may have bit off more than I can chew, I opted to skip the pre novice classes and go straight into novice. You guys all know me and the way I am, set goals and put my mind to them.

The show sectretary when I was initially speaking to her made a comment that I still don't know how to take. Firstly she was the one who told me to skip the pre novice classes as they are a waste of money and you get no points doing them towards titles. She then asked me who I was being trained under and what breed I was showing, told her the breed and that my dogs were being "home schooled" by me. She said..."You are being very"...big hesitation, "adventurous to enter the classes you have selected". WTF that mean't I don't get??? She was very nice but had me wondering if she was warning me after she had told me to diss the pre classes she had erred and didn't want to say so straight up now knowing I had no trainer or she thinks Havs suck at obedience.

I wanted to use the chaos, and that's SO Very what it was to see if Arriba would listen to me with all the distractions. Wish I would have taken both dogs but theres only one of me. The class I attended was the biggest ever for us with I'd guess about 20 dogs overall at one time and at the end where class # 2 was waiting in the parking lot was another 20ish all in the same area. Never been in so much craziness, dog fight city... owners being dragged around and like I said chaos. Yes I did the hated by Brad thing and picked up my dog and carried her through that commotion and steered clear of any contact by other dogs from beginning to end being her was the only of two snack size dogs there. One of the goals was to see if she would do a long sit stay off leash in the company of other dogs as that is a requirement for the classes entered. The pics I posted is her doing it and although she is wearing a leash nobody was at the other end holding it. I need them to sit and stay for ten minutes for the real deal. Was a challenge for me to leave her there kinda vunerable but she was pretty relaxed. There was a no treats rule and my dogs are treat trained and it was great to see she minded without them. The class was held in a huge park and 90% was on public pathways.

The other dogs had been in this class for 5 weeks twice a week I found out later. Lots of different kinds of dogs and some were good and others not so much. A lady who was out for a stroll with her collie was attacked by a class member Italian Mastiff off leash as she was passing by...no harm was done but I bloodywell did I stay farthest away from that dog.

It was good though, the class is intended for real life situations and not showring stuff and it was a confidence booster to see that my girl can mind when theres so much going on when we were both out of our comfort zone. Ironically the class focus was the sit/stay which was my test project, how cool is that.

One thing I had a problem with was the training method to teach "Stop". It wouldn't work for me, I don't like it and my dogs already know stop but I did witness some dogs who actually might need the rougher handling. The exercise was to have the dog sit and stay and then the handler to call the dog from close proximity and at the moment said dog approached the handler was to say stop and rush the dog the moment it's butt left the ground to make it stop by applying an open hand with a straight arm to the nose hard enough that they felt it. This was to be repeated a maximum of 10 times. What I saw was dogs who previously were willing to respond to the come command be reluctant to approach the handlers...I did make a comment about that to one of the ladies whose dog just sat and didn't want to come. On the walk back the stop was to be reinforced by placing the leash behind your back and while moving forward, saying stop, and then again plunging your hand straight down in front of them at the nose. IDK. It did seem to work for some.

Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Sat 02 Jul 2011, 7:05 am

Well... I guess you really can't get better distraction than at one of his seminars. Was the tool there?

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

Pooper, the show secretary is full of crap. There are two Havenese puppies in the beginners obedience class that I assist with, both owned by different owners. They are at the top of the class in obedience. The two owners do have obedience training and show training experience, but this breed is the first they both have owned. One is going to be the owners agility competition dog. He is a little firecracker and after meeting him, I would consider owning a Hav with his energy and temperament. The other one has energy (not as much as the other one), a little more laid back but still a beautiful temperament and does very very well in the obedience.

Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:56 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Pooper, the show secretary is full of crap. There are two Havenese puppies in the beginners obedience class that I assist with, both owned by different owners. They are at the top of the class in obedience. The two owners do have obedience training and show training experience, but this breed is the first they both have owned. One is going to be the owners agility competition dog. He is a little firecracker and after meeting him, I would consider owning a Hav with his energy and temperament. The other one has energy (not as much as the other one), a little more laid back but still a beautiful temperament and does very very well in the obedience.

Well I don't know if the breed was the cause of her hesitation OR the home schooling. Like I said I am confused why everything changed when I answered her questions. Doesn't really matter as win or lose I'm going. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something You Would NEVER Have Expected   

Back to top Go down

Something You Would NEVER Have Expected
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: