Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
brrat
brrat

I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Empty
PostSubject: I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL   I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 6:09 pm

Okay...

so right now I have Molson at a FANTASTIC barn...like an amazing barn. She does everything for me if I cant find the time to get out there.

The farm I work at, my boss has offered me the chance to bring Molson to his place in order to save some money and to be able to see him everyday (since I am there anways LOL).

The only thing I am worried about, right now he is fed Hi-Fat Hi-Fibre (2kg a day)and equalizer (200mg a day).
The farm I will move him to, they feed 3/4 of a coffee can of oats, and 1/4 sweet feed.

Molson has been eating the Hi-Fat Hi-Fibre & Equalizer for the past 2 years. He is the perfect weight right now.

I am worried that if I change his food, he will loose weight.
I have no problem buying him the Hi-Fat & Equalizer, no problem at all. I will still save money.

BUT when I am not there, and he is outside with the other horses, I am worried that he won't be fed the Hi-Fat & Equalizer. Not that it would be done intentional, it is a busy fam and in the midst of feeding all the other horses, it could be forgotten.

I am just curious if he is only fed the Hi-Fat & Equalizer in the mornings (Mon-Fri) while I am there, and fed the oats and sweet fed in the evenings and on weekends - would it hurt him?

Obviously, it would take a lil bit for him to get used to it, but after that would he be okay with that kind of feeding schedule?

I am just so nervous.
Like I pay $280 a month where he is now.
I would pay $100 a month if if I move him, plus $60 for the Hi-Fat & Equalizer.
Would saving $140 a month be worth it?

With a new baby coming, $140 is a lot, but if I am constantly worried or if he looses weight or whatever is it really worth it?!

I need some unbiased opinions!
My hormones are getting in the way of rational thinking.

Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL   I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 8:25 pm

I say he comes to stay in my backyard and my husband can suck it!
Back to top Go down
brrat
brrat

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL   I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 8:51 pm

Haha and then he would be 2 hrs away instead of 5 mins Shocked

I wish I could put him in my backyard..if he was a bit smaller I could maybe pass him off as an abnormally large Dane :lol:

with a hair and voice disorder of course Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL   I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Icon_minitimeFri 01 Apr 2011, 1:01 am

brrat wrote:
Okay...

so right now I have Molson at a FANTASTIC barn...like an amazing barn. She does everything for me if I cant find the time to get out there.

The farm I work at, my boss has offered me the chance to bring Molson to his place in order to save some money and to be able to see him everyday (since I am there anways LOL).

The only thing I am worried about, right now he is fed Hi-Fat Hi-Fibre (2kg a day)and equalizer (200mg a day).
The farm I will move him to, they feed 3/4 of a coffee can of oats, and 1/4 sweet feed.

Molson has been eating the Hi-Fat Hi-Fibre & Equalizer for the past 2 years. He is the perfect weight right now.

I am worried that if I change his food, he will loose weight.
I have no problem buying him the Hi-Fat & Equalizer, no problem at all. I will still save money.

BUT when I am not there, and he is outside with the other horses, I am worried that he won't be fed the Hi-Fat & Equalizer. Not that it would be done intentional, it is a busy fam and in the midst of feeding all the other horses, it could be forgotten.

I am just curious if he is only fed the Hi-Fat & Equalizer in the mornings (Mon-Fri) while I am there, and fed the oats and sweet fed in the evenings and on weekends - would it hurt him?

Obviously, it would take a lil bit for him to get used to it, but after that would he be okay with that kind of feeding schedule?

I am just so nervous.
Like I pay $280 a month where he is now.
I would pay $100 a month if if I move him, plus $60 for the Hi-Fat & Equalizer.
Would saving $140 a month be worth it?

With a new baby coming, $140 is a lot, but if I am constantly worried or if he looses weight or whatever is it really worth it?!

I need some unbiased opinions!
My hormones are getting in the way of rational thinking.

Holy crap Brat Molson is still sucking back the feed like crazy huh. One of my pet peeves with that breed after my years at the track. I don't think there would be a problem with adjusting the feed schedule over a period of time. If you can save a tad of cash experiment and see if he drops weight and then worry. With my two breeds other than the oldies I have the opposite problem of them getting fat just looking at feed. Some horses are just plain seemingly bad keepers naturally thin weight wise and he sounds like one of them.

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL   I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Icon_minitimeSat 02 Apr 2011, 11:52 am

I had to laugh at pooper.. ha ha ha.. all my ponies.. can look at hay and put on the pounds.. My honkey ( donkey) is a hard keeper... he has to have a separate ration... but this winter.. we penned him up at night ( before gunner passed) and he did fine.. now we pen him up for a couple of hours a day
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
brrat
brrat

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL   I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Icon_minitimeSat 02 Apr 2011, 9:49 pm

Well Molson got his shots today, so I was able to talk to my vet about my concerns. She doesn't see any reason why he wouldn't be fine on oats and sweetfeed (with mineral supplement) for the summer, seeing as how he will be out on grass 24/7 and with another horse (who could eat his feed, so why feed him the good stuff in case he won't even get it all!).
She said to keep an eye on him, and if he starts to drop, then obviously put him back on the Hi-Fat & Equalizer.
But she said she would rather see him have Hi-Fat & Equalizer in the winter when he is inside and can finish it all than for the summer, because he does well on grass anyways.

So I feel much better now about moving him.

Thank you Pooper for your advice, and thank you kbullet and Mini for putting a smile on my face Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL   I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need some advice... :( horsey advice LOL
Page 1 of 1