Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

FISH! FISH! FISH!

Go down 
+3
mcpug
yorkiemom
HoodieCrow
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 6:57 pm

Ok, I know very little about fishkeeping in general, so anyone with expertise please weigh in.

I want to set up a little 5 gallon tank for my son. Probably guppies. Aside from that, I'm lost.

How many fish? Best 5 gallon? Filter? Lights?

Any other species suggestions? (I wan't to stay away from Bettas, because I'd like a schooling fish for him.)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:41 pm

Heres what I know is that you will start out with a few guppies and end up with more
than you can count in a short time.

No matter what you do when you set up your fish tank you need to put some cheap fish in
it to stablize it,they usually reccomend feeder gold fish,

do not clean your tank with soapy water
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:47 pm

Yes I have fish lol

You need to set up the tank, for a 5 gal you can probably use just a sponge filter (you can make your own with one of those bubble blower things and a plastic bottle, its all over youtube if you look it up).

You need to cycle the tank (get the good bacteria built up) google cycleing new fish tank, or you can do this with fish but they will probably die because its really hard on them.

Guppies would be fine, I have a bunch of babies you can have if you want (before my other fish eat them)

Real plants help but its a pain especially for only a 5 gallon...... whats really cool and you can keep a lot of them is cherry shrimp or even ghost shrimp (but the cherry shimp are smaller and more colorful). You could probably keep 10 or 20 in a 5 gallon.... I think I have 1... I bought a bunch for my A spenden tank and they ate most of them but there are a few hiding...... they are really neat to watch.

As far as other species with a 5 gal you are very limited so guppies is a good choice unless you wanted to go with shrimp or an african dwarf frog.

I keep 2 species of endangered/wild fish (A splendens and Montezume Swords), I would offer you some of there babies as well but 5 gal is not big enough....
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm

Mcpug nice to see you
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:51 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
Mcpug nice to see you

Nice to see you too, even though I do not post much I do read this forum almost daily Very Happy
Just to make sure eatamouse is behaving herself lol
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:52 pm

didn't mean to hijack the thread,but just had to say "hi"
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 9:51 am

I miss you Mcpug.. you need to post more!

My vote is for the frog LOL
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 11:25 am

mcpug wrote:
Yes I have fish lol

You need to set up the tank, for a 5 gal you can probably use just a sponge filter (you can make your own with one of those bubble blower things and a plastic bottle, its all over youtube if you look it up).

You need to cycle the tank (get the good bacteria built up) google cycleing new fish tank, or you can do this with fish but they will probably die because its really hard on them.

Guppies would be fine, I have a bunch of babies you can have if you want (before my other fish eat them)

Real plants help but its a pain especially for only a 5 gallon...... whats really cool and you can keep a lot of them is cherry shrimp or even ghost shrimp (but the cherry shimp are smaller and more colorful). You could probably keep 10 or 20 in a 5 gallon.... I think I have 1... I bought a bunch for my A spenden tank and they ate most of them but there are a few hiding...... they are really neat to watch.

As far as other species with a 5 gal you are very limited so guppies is a good choice unless you wanted to go with shrimp or an african dwarf frog.

I keep 2 species of endangered/wild fish (A splendens and Montezume Swords), I would offer you some of there babies as well but 5 gal is not big enough....

Thank you Mcpug! I never thought of shrimp. Would they do ok with the Guppies?

I have the opportunity to buy a used Eclipse bowfront 5 gal with built in filter... the light is broken, which I'm kind of bummed about.
Is this a good system? The asking price is $30. Is that fair in your opinion?

Thank you for offering some fry! Not sure how I'd get them to me though. :/
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 12:45 pm

Yes if you like it go for it!

I have a 30 gal and a 50 gal but if you want guppies and shrimp a 5 gal is fine (stick to male guppies only though because they are smaller and you wont get 30 fry a month from the females, they can actually store sperm so even if you buy only females chances are they are pregnant and will keep having babies....... and eventually they stop eating the babies lol)

You will need to add a sponge or something to the intake of the filter for the shrimp and the shrimp also have live babies (very cool to watch the babies attack to the leggs and then get kicked off lol) but if you mix with guppies the guppies will take care of the babies.

Its actually quite easy to ship fish if you want my guppies (I am not sure of their sex as they are in my ameca tank which is not heated, they grow quite slowly in cold water so they are quite small).
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 5:53 pm

kbullet wrote:

They are kind of ugly lol
FISH! FISH! FISH! Frog,%2053
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm

mcpug wrote:
kbullet wrote:

They are kind of ugly lol
FISH! FISH! FISH! Frog,%2053

There is no such thing as an ugly frog! Except maybe the one on my butt in an other 50 years. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 8:43 pm

You will need to post pics of that frog in 50 years bullet. :lol:
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

I want to see it NOW
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 9:20 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
I want to see it NOW

FISH! FISH! FISH! 100_3052
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 9:37 pm

LOL!! Nice one Bullet!!
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 10:13 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
I want to see it NOW

I've seen it. In person.

You can be jealous now.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 10:13 pm

kbullet wrote:

I'm kind of into the fish idea. I figured you'd vote the frog though. Smile
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011, 6:18 am

HoodieCrow wrote:
kbullet wrote:

I'm kind of into the fish idea. I figured you'd vote the frog though. Smile

You know me so well <3
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011, 10:42 am

I love the frogs LOL
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 5:27 pm

So, upon doing some reading I discover that:

a) Anything under 10 gallons is twice as much work
and
b) Guppies are almost as dirty as goldfish

so... I'm not in the market for a 10 gallon set up for a Betta, some shrimp and maybe a few neon tetras. :/

I really wanted a smaller set-up, but I also want to keep it clean and healthy without a ton of maintenance.

I've been perusing online ads, but haven't had any luck. There are a few entire set-ups including fish, but they aren't species I want.

Boo.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

HoodieCrow wrote:

and

so... I'm not in the market for a 10 gallon set up for a Betta, some shrimp and maybe a few neon tetras. :/

I really wanted a smaller set-up, but I also want to keep it clean and healthy without a ton of maintenance.

I've been perusing online ads, but haven't had any luck. There are a few entire set-ups including fish, but they aren't species I want.

Boo.

yup the larger the tank the easier it is to care for/set up.

Have you looked at endler guppies? (they are about half if 1/4 the size of fancy guppies)
They are smaller sometimes hard to find but they are the wild version of the fancy guppy you see in pet stores, if you really want to get exotic you can get them in all sorts of flavors but essentially they look like this...

FISH! FISH! FISH! 9k=

I don't find guppies dirty at all, in fact they are quite hardy and neat to watch.

You can't mix betas with anything (safely) except shrimp or frogs (no other fish), but I don't keep betas so I really don't have experience with them
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 7:03 pm

Yes Mcpug,you can mix 1 beta with other fish,you cannot mix male betas together they will fight,but get along quite well with other fish
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 9:07 pm

mcpug wrote:
HoodieCrow wrote:

and

Boo.

yup the larger the tank the easier it is to care for/set up.

Have you looked at endler guppies? (they are about half if 1/4 the size of fancy guppies)
They are smaller sometimes hard to find but they are the wild version of the fancy guppy you see in pet stores, if you really want to get exotic you can get them in all sorts of flavors but essentially they look like this...

FISH! FISH! FISH! 9k=

I don't find guppies dirty at all, in fact they are quite hardy and neat to watch.

You can't mix betas with anything (safely) except shrimp or frogs (no other fish), but I don't keep betas so I really don't have experience with them

They are so pretty! I'll have to try and find some. How many of these Guppies to a 7 gallon?

I read that Bettas can live peaceably with some small catfish (Corys, for example), Plecos and Neon Tetras?
I'd like to stay away from the Corys and Plecos... I was thinking Tetras because they school.
As for tank/algae maintenance I want to do some Ghost Shrimp and maybe snails too.

We actually scored a nice bowfront 7 gallon with hood, light and filter for free. Smile

Now I'm looking into the right kind of heater and anything else we need. Razz[/quote]

Er... it's a 5 gallon. Not 7. Razz

If I can't find endlers, how does this sound for stocking the 5 gallon?

-betta (maybe a female?)
-4 neons
-two ghost shrimp
-one zebra snail

I keep reading conflicting information. Would that be overstocking or within the perameters?

Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeMon 04 Apr 2011, 10:55 pm

Looking all over for Endlers Livebearers and have come up empty handed. I e-mailed a few ads out near Toronto to see if they'd ship within Ontario but I don't have high hopes...

I'm pretty set on them after reading up on the species. *continues to look*
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitimeTue 05 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

hoodie its the perfect time of year to have fish shipped, trust me I had all my fish shipped in from across Canada, my swords came from Edmonton in the dead of winter and all survived.

Check aquabid.com, they usually have a wide variety of endlers, the shipping can be expensive but endlers will multiply quickly and you can probably sell them to local fish shops for a decent price.

Not sure where you are from but see if there is a local aquarium society, i am sure you could find endlers there as well, they are a very popular fish with "fish people"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FISH! FISH! FISH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: FISH! FISH! FISH!   FISH! FISH! FISH! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FISH! FISH! FISH!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next