Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fake Is Fun

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Fake Is Fun   Sun 29 Nov 2009, 12:32 am

My daughter is taking a course to be a makeup artist for the the theatre, movie and TV industry. Very interesting course with tons of hands on instruction from noted professionals within the guild from all over north america. They have been learning to make all varieties of make up techniques, glamor, aging, bald caps, wigs, false teeth, fake facial hair, body painting, prosthetics, scars, blood, the lovely corpse look, basically fake everything except for the skin care which is important.

They always need practise models and my mother has been one along with some of our other friends and family. Amazing results when you look at the pictures and honestly don't immediately recognise who the people you know are. Don't know what to call this, sort of higher education but not academic in nature. There is a "proving period" before being accepted into the ACTRA guild of doing a specified period of hours working within the field as basically a low paid grunt. In January she has been solicited to be hired as the artist for a movie scheduled to be filmed at 3 locations in the province, a hockey documentary. She's meeting the producer on Monday, the pay sucks and it's going to be 16 - 18 hour days plus lots of travelling and accommodation fees out of pocket. Bonus is one of the locations is right in our home town. Haven't read the script yet myself but I am kind of excited and I know she's going to do really well in this field.
This next week they are on set again...the past was just observing to get a feel of how things work on set but this time it's actually putting in hours and working.

Too funny, she has met with a few notable "stars" from my past, mostly comedians from the old shows like SCTV and Kids In the Hall, the actors I would recognise but she doesn't. Asked her about the production coming up and who would be in it and she said she doesn't really care, she's never been a star struck person. The goal is to do the makeup, get the job done well and who cares who owns the face. I like that attitude!!! Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Trinnity
Trinnity

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Sun 29 Nov 2009, 1:38 am

Congrats to your daughter for being able to do something she enjoys! Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Sun 29 Nov 2009, 12:58 pm

Congratulations to your daughter Pooper! With any job when you're fresh out of school, the pay really sucks, but in time when she gets her name out there, the pay will be better. Sounds like a fun job to have.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Tue 01 Dec 2009, 12:18 am

Fun is right...comes home tonight and tells me she got injured on the job today...(I knew she didn't) Anyways here is her wound. LOL...it is pretty convincing. Do watch the very short video link at the very bottom to see how almost believable the fake wounds are. She got interviewed today for the hockey film and it's a real lame one, but the job is hers if she decides to take it. Mini will know the shooting locations...Leduc, Mundare, Barrhead and Westlock, wanna volunteer to be an extra...lol.

The Video

https://www.youtube.com/user/griffingrange
Back to top Go down
JJ
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Tue 01 Dec 2009, 1:24 am

Ha ha ha..Pooper. It did look real. Looked painful when she was squeezing it like it was real.

Also, it's a nice video of you and Julio~~ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Tue 01 Dec 2009, 1:43 am

JJ wrote:
Ha ha ha..Pooper. It did look real. Looked painful when she was squeezing it like it was real.

Also, it's a nice video of you and Julio~~ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ha ha ha...I know...kind of gross. Julio is so much fun, the little bugger. Cailleach and him and the cats do some crazy funny things but I never get to catch it in on film. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Tue 01 Dec 2009, 2:31 am

That does look real. Your daughter is really good at that. Even though the movie might be lame, every opportunity she takes is a chance to put something on her resume and gain experience.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Tue 01 Dec 2009, 2:49 am

OMG................. Sure.. let me know.. HA HA HA HA HA

She sure is talented like her MA....
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Tue 01 Dec 2009, 3:33 pm

How cool is that. Good for your daughter for doing something she really likes and has a talent for.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Thu 17 Dec 2009, 10:07 pm

Daughter got a first paycheck today in the mail...lol...the production company was called, Go Nuts Productions Inc. It's a comedy film (I viewed their previous films on Utube...I've definately seen better). :silent: She didn't take the job I was speaking of previously under advise from her mentors, this was to be a sequal and they have yet to pay the people working on the original so I guess Mini won't be hired as an extra. She has been hired for a two day gig end of January with Global Studios Edmonton...very well paying and meanwhile still working at the old job bartending and doing glamour type make up for the holiday folk. Finished top of the class in both the course and on the ACTRA exam . Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Wed 27 Oct 2010, 1:29 am

The update. It's been many months since daughter finished the course and she's been doing lots of projects. Different thing for makeup like weddings, grads, small TV productions, commercials and photo shoots etc.

Yesterday she was wined and dined by a rep from a pharmaceutical company Vivier located in Quebec, for a new job she applied for and it's pretty cool. She was recommended to this company by her class instructor and the job although not a 9 to 5 pays amazing money, no selling just demos, all travel expenses and hotels paid for and all products free which are to be a delivered by this friday. Her area is Alberta to Manitoba, most will be her driving to locations but out of Alberta it will be flying, which she loves to do.

It was so funny, next Saturday she is teaching in Sherwood Park (really close to where we live) at a plastic surgery location, the staff...on how to use the makeup products on post surgery patients. Apparently patients don't like to leave the doctors offices looking like they had "something done" so want makeup to cover up the evidence before they walk out. Who would have ever though makeup for the vain would be a lucrative career. Smile
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Wed 27 Oct 2010, 9:01 am

pooper that's wonderful ! She must be walking on the clouds right now. It's feels so good to see your child work hard and reap the rewards. Best wishes to her in her career.......the sky is the limit!
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Wed 27 Oct 2010, 9:42 am

pooperscooper wrote:
Who would have ever though makeup for the vain would be a lucrative career. Smile

Have you ever seen the cost of decent quality makeup. lol I would imagine there is a lucrative career in it. Who knows, maybe in the future she will start her own makeup line.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 12:58 am

I am really happy she has found something that she's really good at and the doors for her are opening. I had no idea about the prices of good makeup until she was reading me portions of the price list. A lipstick for $25.00 blew me away.
Here at farm fashion central...lol...lipstick can be found at the Dollar store, for a loonie. Smile
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 1:43 pm

This is so neat. Smile

How wonderful for her!
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 2:21 pm

I'm glad your daughter found her niche.

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 3:49 pm

pooperscooper wrote:
I am really happy she has found something that she's really good at and the doors for her are opening. I had no idea about the prices of good makeup until she was reading me portions of the price list. A lipstick for $25.00 blew me away.
Here at farm fashion central...lol...lipstick can be found at the Dollar store, for a loonie. Smile

Dollar Store makeup I just can't do. I have a really hard time finding makeup to match my complextion, it's either too light for my skin tone or too dark. So end up having to buy the MAC brand at the mall. For my 10 years of service at work, I got some gift cards, I used some of it on makeup - foundation, lipstick, eye liner and a couple other things I can't remember at the moment. Came out to $91 after taxes. Now I realize why I don't wear or buy makeup that much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fake Is Fun   

Back to top Go down

Fake Is Fun
Page 1 of 1