Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Trinnity
Trinnity

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Empty
PostSubject: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 5:02 pm

Something that is not very well known to the average Canadian
The conditions that are happening on reserves across the country

I'm doing my part by spreading awareness to my friends

Quote :

PIKANGIKUM
It’s hard to believe that these photos were taken from a community in Ontario. I worked four weeks in Pikangikum which is a very remote northern reserve on the Manitoba border. This suicide rate is among the highest in the world, unemployment is over 90% and there is no dwelling with running water. At night packs of gas sniffing youths viciously attack anyone that dares to go out. In the past few years there have been numerous unsolved murders. I’m posting these pictures to develop awareness of this place and no matter who’s fault it is, it needs to be fixed!

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459720561_822635561_9802863_7886413_n

Bathroom, no running water in any home
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459725561_822635561_9802864_7955562_n

Typical Bedroom
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459730561_822635561_9802865_1679397_n

Typical Home
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459745561_822635561_9802866_3342221_n

Garbage!!
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459750561_822635561_9802867_6798035_n

Typical Bedroom
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459770561_822635561_9802869_5517880_n

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459780561_822635561_9802870_1817340_n

Dump waste out windows due to lack of plumbing
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459795561_822635561_9802871_435504_n

Housing
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459815561_822635561_9802873_3689996_n

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459820561_822635561_9802874_4762584_n

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459830561_822635561_9802875_378391_n

one of many signs posted ...
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459850561_822635561_9802877_6461767_n

radio station
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459855561_822635561_9802878_4405018_n

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459860561_822635561_9802879_6632606_n

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459865561_822635561_9802880_5514885_n

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459875561_822635561_9802882_6252113_n

suicide
A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing 16354_333459870561_822635561_9802881_3459408_n
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 7:12 pm

Wow! I've seen homes in third world countries much better off than this. The reservations that some of my cousins live on and the Inuit community I stayed in for a week, was nothing like that. Whenever I see charities for helping those in other countries (I have nothing against that), I always wonder why we can't help those in our own country first from situations such as this.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 7:32 pm

It's so sad Crying or Very sad my heart goes out to the little ones, they probably don't even know this isn't the norm.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 7:33 pm

Is this an inuit community? The writting looks like Inuktitut symbol.
Back to top Go down
Trinnity
Trinnity

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 8:39 pm

This commnity is in Ontario. From where it is located I believe they are Cree, which means
the writing is in syllabics.

And you are right Mousey, most people don't realize this isn't the norm.
Some people that live on reserves have never left the reserve, and don't
even speak english.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 11:54 pm

This is very sad. I think it is good to post things like this so people know what situation people are in.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 1:15 am

Gads 2 forums...too confusing...I posted in thet other place. I am glad this was brought up. the situation needs attention. Sad
Back to top Go down
Trinnity
Trinnity

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 1:36 am

pooperscooper wrote:
Gads 2 forums...too confusing...I posted in thet other place. I am glad this was brought up. the situation needs attention. Sad

I posted it all over the place Embarassed

Maybe someone will want to share on a more "private" forum as opposed to Kijiji..

In addition.. there is also one extra picture that I chose not to post on Kijiji
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeMon 30 Nov 2009, 10:34 pm

Did you ever read the older history of what the government did before the assimilation schools?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeTue 01 Dec 2009, 2:15 pm

I wanted to reply but I wanted to have a discussion with my friend first and get her thoughts.

My friend is native. She was raised on a reserve. She thanks her mom, for giving her a drive. Let me explain her mother was an RCMP officer. She taught her kids to go out and work for what you want. Well my friend decided to go and be a teacher and give back to the community. She decided to work for her education through student loans instead of getting hand outs from the government for a free education. She has no problem with a free education but as her mother told her when she went through school. YOu will appreciate your education more if you had to work for it instead of getting it for free.

Now here are her thoughts. She sees the families and the animals on the reserves everyday. She is really frustrated. She says you see a child with so much potential. So you try to teach ( she teaches all the children but she uses an example) that child that there is more to life. That child can be whatever they want to be. They can break the cycle. They can be a teacher like her. They can improve their lifes. She says you spend so much energy and time. You put your whole heart into it. Because you want to make a difference. Only for that child to turn around and say to you" I don't need an education- I will be provided for" " I don't need to work" " I don't need to try" She says she is so frustrated but she keeps going back and keeps teaching in hopes that maybe she can make a difference if only to a few. In her curriculm she brings other things she goes outside the regular curriculm to teach them more about the world around them. THen what they see everyday. Her husband is also native and he was from the reserve as well. He is in the Canadian Military. He has come into her classes to talk to them about making changes.

She said the governement doesn't need to " dump" more money into building them homes. She says yes they need funding but it has to be used to help the people help themselves. Giving them housing is great.. but if they do not build those houses with their own hands. Then they don't have the pride in their homes. She says she has seen homes go up. In a matter of weeks. They look as though they been there for centuries. People will rip apart the siding and wood. Burn the siding and wood for huge fires. I asked is it because they have no heat. She said no, the homes come built for them with everything. She thinks that the main reason is because the attitude is " they will build me another home" or they are bored. SHe said it would make a huge difference if the people who have these homes. Have to build them with their own hands.. kind of like habit for humanity.

Yes there needs to be more programs on the reserves. But she says it needs to come from within. She said you can bring in nurses.. doctors.. teachers and counsillers. Won't mean anything. She said why not train those in the community to help their community. I then asked don't they have programs for that. She said yes.. but the attitude that she experiences is.. they don't have the pride.. They don't care ( in general) she says yes their are people that want to be good. But why try.. when everything will be provided to them. She says this is not the case for all reserves as she has been on alot of reserves through different things. The one she teaches at.. and remains at.. needs her help the most. She says she drives an hour to work everyday and home everyday. She says she is scared half the time going to work. I asked her why. She says she bought a new car a mustang. She took it to work to show.. if you work hard you can have things. She said her car was vandalized that day. Over 6 thousand dollars in damage. I asked her does she drive it still. She says yes. I asked her why they would do that to her car. SHe thinks it is because the attitude is.. she got that free.. why aren't they getting it free or it could be of jealous.... There are so many reasons she said. But she admitted she is scared to go to work. She feels like she has to look over her back all the time. I asked her why. She said I may be native but because I broke the cycle. The attitude she has experienced is..." I turned White" and I am not true to who I am. She says that is so far from the truth. She said because I am native I bring our culture into our classrooms. She said there are alot of outsiders that teach on this reservre. That follow the standard curriculum. She doesn't believe in this. She said you need to teach them the culture.. go into history of the native people. Such as living on the land.. Going back to the ways. Maybe by doing this.. you can inspire hope and inspire a better future. You can't bring outsiders in at this point. That do not understand native culture. Because teaching them " outsiders ways" she thinks it may cause more chaos then trying to change within.

I ask her what is the answer.. She says she doesn't know. She can only do her part and hope that she can inspire people to break the cycle. To show their are things other then drugs and violence out in the world. if they will just work for it.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeTue 01 Dec 2009, 3:41 pm

Well said Mini, this was what I was leaning towards with my post on the other forum. Our treaty Indians on the reserves near me get $21,000.00 the day they turn 18 from the oil revenues and they lack nothing. Burning down their homes is a common occurrence and yes they will get another one. All types of activities are readily available. the elders are trying to get the youths involved in their culture, the language is not lost nor are the traditions. I have a number of friends that reside on the reserve and they are frustrated, nothing seems to be working. I know the elders I have spoken with wish that the money didn't flow so readily and they feel that if they had to go back to the old ways things would improve. I wonder if it would make any difference if the richer bands were the ones to help out the poorer?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeTue 01 Dec 2009, 4:29 pm

I was going to reply on the other side..

But throwing money isn't going to help. because the money is there. You can't compare this problem with third world countries and keeping money for our own backyard. Because the reality of the situation. The money is there. In third world countries the money is not there.

I am all for solutions and yes it is terribly sad. But I don't think throwing money is the answer.

People look at these homes. And the solution is go in there and build them new homes. BUt that will only last for a month maybe longer.

I also agree it is a cycle. In order to help we need to come up with ideas or solutions to break that cycle. Now I can't speak of all reserves just from my own knowledge.

ANother example. A reserve up north in ChurchHill Manitoba. My father used to install transformers. He was up in churchhill. He would tell of us his experience on the reservations.

He would be so frustrated after coming home. He used to say. He has no problem helping people. But this is what happens up there. Every Year families would get Brane new skidoos. Because of the rough terrain. This way of travel is often necessary. Every year. There is no pride in these machines. No care. No maitenance. HE would go up there and see all these machines broken down and just left. He had the opportunity to talk to the elders as well. THey said. Why would they care. Because they know they will get another machine.

It is a terrible cycle. Solutions need to be made to break that cycle. Because the children you see in those pictures will grow up and follow their parents lead because yes they do not know anything else.

How do you know the value of a dollar, if you have never had to work for that value of that dollar. How do you know the importance of education if everything is handed to you. If there is no pride, and people never have to work for their homes, their machines.. then what happens people are bored (IMO) and boredom leads to drugs and addictions ( for the most part)

My Friend is a teacher and she says... At the beginning of the year she has 20 students. On a good day she may have 10 students in her class. The amount of absentisme is sky high. She said she has requested parent interviews. No parent show up.

The other comment I wanted to make is about running water. You have to understand that these homes probably had running water. But what happens is they take out the copper piping and metal... turn around and sell it for money for drugs or alchohol. This is a terrible cycle. But until solutions can be made to break the cycle. ALl the money in the world will not help this problem.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net

PostSubject: A wake up call   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitimeTue 01 Dec 2009, 5:25 pm

Well stated Mini - your right on all fronts - unfortunately I think your friend is fighting a losing battle as she is not going to change the attitudes of the First Nations People. We are attempting to break the cycle by integrating a lot of native children in our Public School system - but that isn't working either. I don't think any one has the answer. AS stated by your friend change must come from within - and it must start with the elders, chief and band council. Throwing money at this problem is not going to fix it. I worked with a first nations man - he and his wife got off the Reserve and both obtained University Degrees - he in Agriculture and his wife a Registered Nurse. Both were successfully employed and purchased everything they owned - nice home - vehicles - cottage etc. Their children were being raised not to expect a hand out, the importance of an education and the value of a dollar. This couple had only one major problem that made their life a living hell - their friends and relatives and friends of friends from the reserve Each time him and his wife got paid at the end of the month - several individuals from the reserve would show up on their door step expecting them to purchase booze, cigarettes, food etc so they could party for the next 5 days - its native culture for you to share whatever you have with everyone else. This couple was doing everything in their power to break the cycle and get ahead - yet their fellow indians kept pulling them down. I have a friend who lives on the Peguis Reserve - very nice lady in her mid sixties - she has a nice home on the reserve which she looks after and keeps very neat, tidy and clean. She also has two sons over the age of 30 that reside with her - both are drunken bums - she caters to them, cleans up after them and feeds them. And No - she won't throw them out. She tolerates their common law girl friends that stay for months on end and even cares for her grandchildren - because no one else will not even their parents. She was a residential school survivor and as such received a settlement of $102,000.00 - that money was gone in 4 months and the only thing she has to show for it was a second had truck. Her sons each wanted an ATV which she bought for them - she supplied booze and cigarettes for several members of the reserve - basically the money was squandered on friends and relatives when it could have been used to make her life more comfortable. I can relate many more such scenarios, which is why I believe that money is not the answer - I believe the Government must stop the handouts - stop the monthly cheques - make the people do something for themselves. Either become motivated and work, become educated, live off the land or starve - the choice would be theirs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing   A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A wake up call - Last picture is disturbing
Page 1 of 1