Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    Sat 12 Feb 2011, 10:41 pm

I came across some topics on a debate forum. Some are not really debate topics but interesting topics that I thought would be interesting to post on here and get the opinions of members here.

Below is the post in its entirety by the OP on the other forum.

"With the combination of entertainment and news that comes at us 24/7 do you question what is news? When I hear unemployment claims have dropped do you question why they don't report on how many claims expired and how man people lost the benefits and have no support or job?

I for one would appreciate a broader perspective presented on topics like Unemployment. What do you think about important community issues that aren't covered thoroughly on the news?

I think if we discuss these issue from a solution based perspective we can support our community in a new way with news that makes a positive difference."
Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    Sun 13 Feb 2011, 1:24 am

.... Some journalists are quite good and not too biased, but I find that many of them want to spin a story, and will ignore facts and completely sensationalise something.

The journalist that wrote the story does not write the headline of the story. the headline writers in print media are a sensationalistic bunch, I would say. They need people to buy the paper based on the headlines.

It is really quite fascinating how they work. Once a story is put on a website, for example, CTV News in Sakatoon, all other agencies will be all over it within an hour. Within the hour they have all either copied the story to their own organization/site, or called and verified sources for the story and made the story their own.

It is better to do a radio interview than print in my opinion, as they cannot mess around with what you have said too much, although they do have you on the spot and may take you by surprise... I have discovered there are a lot of talk radio stations that are really news intensive. They seem to have more time for "the story" than television.

If a print journalist gets a story, he will file it online. The bigger more in depth story will usually appear in the newspaper the following day. However, if the editor did not like the story very much, it might be quite a small version in the newspaper, and a lengthier more in depth story online.

Last edited by Amomma on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    Sun 13 Feb 2011, 2:08 pm

Amomma, that's interesting.

I've never 100% believed what is written in a news article, right down to what was quoted by the person being interviewed. Reason being, I read a news article one time and they had interviewed someone that I knew of. This acquaintance had horrible grammar skills (not that that matters) and when you had a conversation with them, you got an idea of the types of wordings they would use. The newspaper kind of changed what was quoted to use big words, something this person would not use in every day lingo, or even when being interviewed. This person probably had no idea what some of those words even meant. But it sure made the article sound really professional. I just thought to myself, quote this person word for word exactly as they had told the news reporter.

Another article or articles that come up in my local paper from time to time is how the unemployment rate is dropping in my area. My city/county has the highest unemployment rate in Canada. What the newspaper fails to tell people that adding another fast food joint that pays minimum wage is not going to help the person who lost their job be able to support their family and pay the mortgage and utilities. They don't report number of people in the area whose unemployment ran out and were forced to take on jobs at these minimum wage paying jobs. They also did not report that those who were able to, packed up and moved out West for a job. Yes, technically the unemployment rate did decrease but they don't give you the whole story. They just want readers in the area to believe that lots of decent paying jobs have been created in the area.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    Sun 13 Feb 2011, 2:52 pm

I dont believe have the stuff I read,

Like ammona, I have also been in the newspaper.. and boy oh boy, they do not quote you, they twist it in order for the paper to sell..

Prime example is afghanistan, I am not going to go on and on about this but the media has done our soldiers more of an injustice and have put their lifes on the line due to them being there as well as what they print in the papers. I have seen the leeches first hand destroy familes because they rather get a shot of a grieving widow and her son.. and trust me they stop at nothing to get their shots.. they don't have compassion all they care about is that perfect shot that will sell.. Makes me want to sit with a shot gun on some of these wifes doorsteps and let them take a picture of that. It disgusts me to no end. I probably told you, that one of my friends found out from the toronto star- that her husband was killed in action in afghanistan. They called her didn't even offer their condolences asked her- how she felt about the war know, that her husband was killed lastnight. I have no good feelings about reporters NONE... I think they are all scum bags. I do like one reporter from the toronto star.. but all the others can jump off a low bridge..

I know for one, I would like to see more positive things in the newspaper but unfortunatley- people are attracted to blood guts and negative outlooks and that is what sells.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    Mon 14 Feb 2011, 12:03 am

Mini wrote:
I probably told you, that one of my friends found out from the toronto star- that her husband was killed in action in afghanistan. They called her didn't even offer their condolences asked her- how she felt about the war know, that her husband was killed lastnight. I have no good feelings about reporters NONE... I think they are all scum bags. I do like one reporter from the toronto star.. but all the others can jump off a low bridge.

WOW ... No, you never mentioned that before. I'm all for freedom of speech but in cases like that news publications should be slapped with a huge fine. That is just so disrespectful.
Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    Tue 15 Feb 2011, 12:08 am

Mini wrote:
one of my friends found out from the toronto star- that her husband was killed in action in afghanistan. They called her didn't even offer their condolences asked her- how she felt about the war know, that her husband was killed lastnight.

That is disgusting and so shameful. That makes me sad to read it.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    Tue 15 Feb 2011, 12:18 am

I agree that is beyond disgusting and sad,it should never have happened

PostSubject: Re: Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?    

Back to top Go down

Do You Follow the TV News and Believe it or Do you have a different perspective on What's News?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1