Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bit or no Bit

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Bit or no Bit   Sat 24 Oct 2009, 1:16 pm

Okay since pooper and stillwood are on here. Pooper has been my horse expertise.

So, we have sugarfoot. We bought her at the auction. She is such a good pony. So we are trying to get her to be more then a lead line pony. This is what we are working on right now.

However, here is some things and I am stumped as to what to do.

She wont take a bit. Now let me explain. I had my neighbors girl out here to ride her. Because I am just too BIG.. LOL.. and my daughter doesnt have the confidence yet. I wanted to see what she was trainned to do.

So my neighbor daughter came out. Sugar foot responds great to leg pressure. Turns on a dime. She is not neck reined from what we can tell. She is plow driven. She wont back. She has a walk and a run.. LMAO Nothing in between. She lunges great with me.

Put our daughter on her back and she wont budge.. kind of like spice. So we are working with her on the tips you provided for spice.. pooper.

My neighbors girl will come out and work with her. And I dont want to make any trainning mistakes.. Because I have some bad habits. This is why, we have our daughter in pony club and riding lessons. Plus my daughter responds better to another person then her mummy.. LOL

So I have so many questions...... so be prepared. We are trying to groom sugar foot for pony club. Because she has more get up and go.. Then spice who is happy to plug along.. LMAO

1. Should we get her on a bit to help her. Does she have to be on a bit for pony club.. LOL What kind of bit would you suggest ( keep in mind- I have a hard time finding anything that fits my ponies... as they are small ponies or large minatures. I should add that we didnt force her to take the bit. We were trying to see what skills she had prior to coming to us.

We have focused the last couple of months.. ON her hoofs.... lunging.. and getting her to get along with the herd. She is a really dominant horse. Then we thought she was prego for the longest time. Still think that.. cause no matter what.. She never loses any weight.

okay I will start with those questions first. But I have lots more.......... Lots more............
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Bit or no Bit   Sun 08 Nov 2009, 1:13 pm

I really don't know squat about most things, but figured I should post on this thread too just to be sociable Very Happy .

Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php

PostSubject: Re: Bit or no Bit   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 4:04 am

🐰

Last edited by stillwood on Sun 29 Nov 2009, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bit or no Bit   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 12:21 pm

stillwood wrote:
Hi Mini

I finaly got on your site! Anywho, to answer some of your questions, most Ponyclubs are English and Jumping here but I dont know what it is there. It is mandatory to bitt your horse in the P club. I would use an eggbutt snaffle to start with...make sure the bridle fits correctly with three wrinkles around her mouth. You can keep her halter on under the bridle and remove her reins. Lunging her this way will give you an idea of her comfort level with the bit. If she is backing away from it and trying to get it out of her mouth than she probably has never been bitted. If she is licking and her mouth is moist and a bit frothy and she comfortably moves forward then she likely has had a bitt before. Very Happy

Okay, I will go out and look for one.. LMAO

Cause we just ordered an english saddle from the states.. cross your fingers it will fit her. LOL.. we were borrowing a saddle. Cause all I have our western saddles.. LMAO and english saddles are not my hmmmmmmmmm or anything english.. I am lost.....

The saddle we were using.... I guess wasn't the correct size ( how was I supposed to know) I am a fish out of water on this one.. HA HA HA HA HA.. Spice takes the bit.. and she is doing okay in pony club. She hasn't been there in a bit.. we were borrowing a horse.. cause she went down.. But she likes to plug along... LMAO.

My neighbors girl didn't come out last week.. but she is going to come weekly... lol..

Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Bit or no Bit   Thu 03 Dec 2009, 11:44 pm

Mini wrote:
Okay since pooper and stillwood are on here. Pooper has been my horse expertise.

So, we have sugarfoot. We bought her at the auction. She is such a good pony. So we are trying to get her to be more then a lead line pony. This is what we are working on right now.

However, here is some things and I am stumped as to what to do.

She wont take a bit. Now let me explain. I had my neighbors girl out here to ride her. Because I am just too BIG.. LOL.. and my daughter doesnt have the confidence yet. I wanted to see what she was trainned to do.

So my neighbor daughter came out. Sugar foot responds great to leg pressure. Turns on a dime. She is not neck reined from what we can tell. She is plow driven. She wont back. She has a walk and a run.. LMAO Nothing in between. She lunges great with me.

Put our daughter on her back and she wont budge.. kind of like spice. So we are working with her on the tips you provided for spice.. pooper.

My neighbors girl will come out and work with her. And I dont want to make any trainning mistakes.. Because I have some bad habits. This is why, we have our daughter in pony club and riding lessons. Plus my daughter responds better to another person then her mummy.. LOL

So I have so many questions...... so be prepared. We are trying to groom sugar foot for pony club. Because she has more get up and go.. Then spice who is happy to plug along.. LMAO

1. Should we get her on a bit to help her. Does she have to be on a bit for pony club.. LOL What kind of bit would you suggest ( keep in mind- I have a hard time finding anything that fits my ponies... as they are small ponies or large minatures. I should add that we didnt force her to take the bit. We were trying to see what skills she had prior to coming to us.

We have focused the last couple of months.. ON her hoofs.... lunging.. and getting her to get along with the herd. She is a really dominant horse. Then we thought she was prego for the longest time. Still think that.. cause no matter what.. She never loses any weight.

okay I will start with those questions first. But I have lots more.......... Lots more............

I have always used bits and yes I do believe she one will be required for Pony Club. I would recommend a simple egg butt or D ring snaffle, the fatter mouthpiece the better as they are easier on the mouth. A good method to encourage an equine to readily accept a bit is to apply corn syrup to the mouth piece, slip your finger into the space behind the incisors to open the mouth and gently slip in the bit and slide the bridle up over the ears. They will chomp and chew, just let them. When they have relaxed with the bit in their mouth and are comfortable with it, slip the bridle off over the ears and wait til they spit the bit out on their own. They associate the bit with the sugar on as a treat and not something negative. When working at the lunge have her wear the bit on a bridle with no reins and keep the halter on underneath to work off of at first.

Egg butt snaffle, A D ring is the same mouthpiece but the ends are shaped like the letter D.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bit or no Bit   

Back to top Go down

Bit or no Bit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Horses-
Jump to: