Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Dog groomers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Dog groomers   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 1:34 pm

Does anyone here groom dogs professionally?
I was wondering if you allow the owners to stay while the dog is being groomed.
I am having a really difficult time finding a groomer who will let me stay.
Why do you think they won't let me stay?
I asked them all but only one answered me.
(no room in her little shop.)

I don't get my new clippers for a few more weeks and by then there will be more mats then poodle.
I'm trying to comb them out but I am having a tough time with him.
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 3:34 pm

I think it is pretty common for groomers to not allow the human to be present as your dog is more fixated on his/her human which makes the task at hand more challeging for them. I could be way off base as I don't have dogs that need serious grooming so I tend to do it myself.

Don't compromise yourself. It's all you got
 Janis Joplin
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 3:41 pm

I have never been able to stay with my yorkie when I take her,but I do know she never cowers when we go so that tells me that she likes the groomer

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 6:07 pm

My dogs behave better when I'm not around............
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:28 pm

I've been able to stay when I took Tank the first time to a groomer, I have since stopped using her due to her ethics in the dog park.

I think you should at the minimum be able to look around their shop, if they aren't willing to allow that, then you should leave....

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 11:11 pm

I normally groom my dog myself, but there have been the odd occasions in cold weather where a bath is in order. I called a few dog groomers who would not allow me to stay, I found a new grooming place 2 minutes from where I live that allows me to stay when I bring my dog in. No, she wouldn't behave any better if I left since she doesn't listen well to strangers.
Back to top Go down
Bernermom
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Bernermom

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 1:05 am

Generally its much easier and faster to groom a dog without the owner there.
The dog tries to get to mommy and doesn't sit as still
and owners tend to chat which actually takes up a lot of time.

If an owner even comes back early to pick up their dog we sometimes
have to ask them to come back and then wait for the dog to settle
before finishing.

Why do you want to stay?

If you have a bad feeling don't leave the dog but its usually the owners
who are more stressed out and who stress the dog out when dropping off.

You wouldn't believe how many people come in hold their dog tightly telling them its ok
they won't hurt you like there is a reason to be afraid.
The best thing to do is act like its no big deal and drop them off and chat about the groom or whatever
but try no to be stressed and hopefull your dog wont be either
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 1:21 am

I have never had my yorkie to a groomer that I could not first view their faciliteis
and I always try to book her on a day they are less busy,less stress for the groomer
and less stress for my little dog

As a rule I groom her myself but think Iwill take her in before christmas and have it done

Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 1:23 am

I groom myself but years ago when I did use groomers I insisted on staying until I was confident my dogs would be comfortable left alone, never interfered, just watched and listened from a distance. I totally agree the dogs behave better when the owners aren't visually present. I had a groomer I used when Cailleach was younger that I used regularly...as most know by now I am rather anal about my fur monsters...that forgot the way I wanted her groomed and trimmed her topknot after I explicidly told her many times not to trim any hair other than sanitary areas. Too funny, she realised her error when it was too late and was so embarrassed, she tried to add colorful bows on each ear and painted her nails and insisted the job was for free. I paid her anyways and had a good laugh...didn't matter as the Princess isn't a show dog but holy Hannah if that happened with my show dogs I'd be mortified. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 9:11 am

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I found a groomer that will let me stay.
Pets Unlimited has a groomer that said I could stay.
They have no openings until Dec. 27th and I will have my clippers by then.

I have had 2 bad experiences with groomers while I was standing right there, so it just scares me to think how they would behave if I wasn't.
One groomer told me I could stay but I had to stay behind the partition which was made of lattice so I could still see.
The groomer left my 6 pound dog in the tub with water while she went to answer the phone.
Now, while nothing bad actually happened it could have had I not been there.
I scooted around the lattice and stood by my dog.
When she saw me she did get off the phone but if I had not been there would she have kept talking on the phone?

The other time the groomer clipped off his dew claw with her clippers.
I thought I'd pass out.
Now, she did glue his skin and she felt horrible but really???
Would she have told me about it had I not been there?
I can't say for sure but I really don't think so.
Her attitude turned into "It's really no big deal."
My dogs claw complete with some skin is on your grooming table and you say to me "no big deal."
It was a really bad experience.

I took him to a groomer who works out of her home and she said I could stay for a few minutes.
She was screaming at her dogs to "get out of her way."
Her dogs were terrified of her.
If she treats her own dogs like that in front of a customer what does she do to dogs that she doesn't even own when we leave?

Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 11:07 am

Jersey, I don't blame you for wanting to stay. The groomer I used a few times, though she's really nice, doesn't listen and I was afraid she would get bit as my dog growled at her twice. Once I told the groomer don't bother with my dog's ears, because she had an ear infection and was ok, just along as no one bothered with her ears. I was standing right there and against my instructions, she goes cleaning my dog's ears. When she got to the infected ear, my dog growled and gave her a serious I'm going to bite you look. With the groomer being at face level, and the breed of dog I have, I did not want it to escalate. Brought her the third time, and asked that my dog not be blow dried (she's a wash and go fur type of breed). But the groomer being a perfectionist, wanted to go ahead and blow dry her anyways. When it came time to blow drying her belly towards the back of her legs, the blow dryer got a little too hot. My dog pulled away and look uncomfortable, the groomer wasn't watching her signs, went back with the blow dryer and was greeted with another growl and a serious one more time and I will bite. The first time there, was a good experienced so I brought her back a 2nd and 3rd time. After those two incidences, I decided to just suck it up and go to the dog wash to do it myself, rather than have my dog have a bite incident.
Back to top Go down
puppiesbreathmmm
puppiesbreathmmm

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:31 pm

I've taken my first Pomeranian many years ago to a groomer and when I ask her if I could stay she said no because no customers were allowed in the back.

I had gotten way to busy and my little boy was in need of a deep combing because it was fall and started to shed a lot, so I respected her rules and so I specified that all I wanted was a combing (20$) and wash & dry Only and I even made her repeat and she even wrote it down and when I picked him up she had done the pom cut and I said that was unaceptable as it was not what I had requested . She said she is the owner and she does what she wants or what she sees fit. My poor baby and I was insulted and I never went back to any groomers ever. Bought myself a grooming table and hair dryers etc... and now I do all of my dogs myself. BTW I didn't just walk out by myself two other custumers there to drop off their dogs to be groomed said never mind I don't like when people decide what I want for me and followed me out .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog groomers   

Back to top Go down

Dog groomers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: