Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Would You sell A Dog To Asia

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Would You sell A Dog To Asia Empty
PostSubject: Would You sell A Dog To Asia   Would You sell A Dog To Asia Icon_minitimeTue 07 Dec 2010, 2:22 am

Yes a borrowed title from the Dark Side. There were some valid points made on that thread but I just got word about the Collies I had mentioned earlier in here that were sold to Japan by my new coach. Holy Crap...they have made Collie International history. Won Winners Dog, Winners Best, Award of Merit at the Collie Club of Japan. First time in nearly 50 years with the Collie Club of Japan for a class entry dog to go all the way in a sweep. The new owners are over the moon. I have to clarify though that my coach delivered a few dogs to the new owner and I wasn't sure which one they had entered. I'm sure it will be on his website when he returns home. LOL...dammit I have no idea when my classes are to start still.

My breeder has also sold dogs to Japan, not Neezers but she started with Shelties 20 some years ago and the Japanese were importing from North America even then. Japan isn't a third world type reputation country and I know other breeders who have sold dogs with no worries that they won't be treated properly. They buy from the best stock available world wide and it frustrates me when people won't realise that all of Asia isn't all backwards when it comes to the stereotype treatment of dogs. The dogs purchased for breeding programs are not going to end up on a dinner plate nor will the offspring produced.

Hokkie is right, Japan may be far away but it's only a day trip on a plane. The dogs, owners and breeders see each other often globally on the show circuit so it's not a case of selling a dog you will never see again. Even the very rich are on waiting lists and the dogs are only placed in the best homes that apply and are approved by the breeders.

It pisses me off when animal rights types advocate that "everyone" should stop breeding but that's a whole different issue. Anyways...I am thrilled with this win for Davenlock Collies and wish they would get their asses back here so we can start training.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Would You sell A Dog To Asia   Would You sell A Dog To Asia Icon_minitimeTue 07 Dec 2010, 11:21 pm

I'll post my reply that I posted on the darkside over here. Japan, IMO, is totally different than China and India. They have access to decent quality pet foods and training facilities that they don't in China and India. My response below was based on China and India, and not Japan. On another forum, a member from China was concerned about their Rottweiler. The government was making the police go door to door taking people's dogs and euthanizing them on the stop, in an attempt to keep some type of dog virus from spreading. These dog owners did not have any say. This is what worries me, but I agree not all parts of Asia are backwards.

girlnamedben wrote:
My answer is no. I know some have done it, but the few websites I've seen don't have clearances, looking on the databases for goldens, the dogs go over there and are bred often without clearances and early and often.

Until there are animal rights laws and dogs aren't at high risk for being killed in horrible ways in the wrong situations, it's not even something I'd think about. For that matter, I'd want to be able to get a pup I bred home, or at least safe, quickly - no chance of that that far away from here...

Lana

It's like buying a European import Rottweiler. The breeders in Europe (a lot not all) don't test for heart and eyes, only hips and elbows. Though I've been told that some are now starting to test for heart and eyes.

If I were a breeder, I would not sell to anyone in Asia. On another forum I'm a member of, I seen dog owners from China, India, Philippines, certain parts of Africa and the challenges they face with finding vet care for their dogs and obedience schools, and clubs where they would like to train in dog sports.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Would You sell A Dog To Asia   Would You sell A Dog To Asia Icon_minitimeWed 08 Dec 2010, 12:56 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
I'll post my reply that I posted on the darkside over here. Japan, IMO, is totally different than China and India. They have access to decent quality pet foods and training facilities that they don't in China and India. My response below was based on China and India, and not Japan. On another forum, a member from China was concerned about their Rottweiler. The government was making the police go door to door taking people's dogs and euthanizing them on the stop, in an attempt to keep some type of dog virus from spreading. These dog owners did not have any say. This is what worries me, but I agree not all parts of Asia are backwards.

girlnamedben wrote:
My answer is no. I know some have done it, but the few websites I've seen don't have clearances, looking on the databases for goldens, the dogs go over there and are bred often without clearances and early and often.

Until there are animal rights laws and dogs aren't at high risk for being killed in horrible ways in the wrong situations, it's not even something I'd think about. For that matter, I'd want to be able to get a pup I bred home, or at least safe, quickly - no chance of that that far away from here...

Lana

It's like buying a European import Rottweiler. The breeders in Europe (a lot not all) don't test for heart and eyes, only hips and elbows. Though I've been told that some are now starting to test for heart and eyes.

If I were a breeder, I would not sell to anyone in Asia. On another forum I'm a member of, I seen dog owners from China, India, Philippines, certain parts of Africa and the challenges they face with finding vet care for their dogs and obedience schools, and clubs where they would like to train in dog sports.

Julios dam was imported from Hungary and heath tested before she was purchased, that's my limitation with European import knowledge regarding Neezers from there. I have to admit that I think Japan is far more "civilized" so to speak, to sell dogs to. I know of no one who has sold elsewhere nor did Hokkie, from what I read. I would have great concerns selling anywhere else in Asia, not that I have anything to sell, but that thread was very informative.

I'm happy you posted because I was so vicariously thrilled with Davids big win that I thought I was boring all and turning into another "Red", I did warn that might happen...LOL. The thing with show dogs sold to Japan is as you mentioned is that they do have access to the same if not better vets, training facilities and buyers who purchase the best dogs available are not going to mistreat them. They are serious breeders who want the best available and tis so cool they purchased from Canada and my coach who pulled of an epic win. The kennel facilities to where the dogs are living in when David leaves them are like a palace from the photos he sent. I'd love to be one of their dogs.

Truth is probably this isn't the norm for imported dogs to "Asia"...David shows world wide as a handler and I know he goes to Japan for all of the specialties so he'll be checking on the dogs he sold every time he goes there. When he gets back I am totally going to ask him about selling dogs to other Asian locations. I'm going to bet he will agree with all you have stated about other areas of the world. Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Would You sell A Dog To Asia   Would You sell A Dog To Asia Icon_minitimeWed 08 Dec 2010, 11:12 am

Sometimes I forget that Japan is a part of Asia. Embarassed LOL It's one of the most expensive cities to live in and the most advanced Asian country. So if someone from there is looking to purchase a dog from there, you know that dog will be living better than we do. lol In the other forum I go on, I often wonder how those dog lovers in the Middle East (Marocco (sp?) and Jamaica cope with limited vet care and limit choices in pet food. Jamaica especially because the culture in carribean is not dog friendly.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: Would You sell A Dog To Asia   Would You sell A Dog To Asia Icon_minitimeWed 08 Dec 2010, 1:52 pm

This was definitely an interesting topic on the dark side. Though, I have no opinion (since I don't know) of Japan....it is indeed a very rich country with a very different dynamic than some other countries in Asia. I'll post here, what I posted there.

I think one would have to be extremely careful to find out where exactly in Asia you are selling to (if that's one's agenda). Having said that, I don't endorse selling dogs/cats to countries that:

a) have no human rights
b) considers dog/cat a delicacy
c) has little in the way of education when it comes to vaccinations/spay/neuter programs OR has no easily accessible/economical vaccinations
d) considers dogs/cats "dirty"
e) endorses mass culls (and this is not relegated to street dogs...pets are thrown in that mass as well) based on size of dog
f) won't recognize guide dogs for the blind
g) imposes hefty fines for dog owners if they exceed a 1 dog/household policy....and this also includes confiscation of pet

There are many first world democracies in Asia that still violate many points from my list above. It's a matter of knowing not just your customer, but their country's laws.

I mean certainly, abuses happen here in North America as well...but I think it all really comes down to knowing who you're selling to.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Would You sell A Dog To Asia   Would You sell A Dog To Asia Icon_minitimeThu 09 Dec 2010, 12:49 am

K-Flash wrote:
This was definitely an interesting topic on the dark side. Though, I have no opinion (since I don't know) of Japan....it is indeed a very rich country with a very different dynamic than some other countries in Asia. I'll post here, what I posted there.

I think one would have to be extremely careful to find out where exactly in Asia you are selling to (if that's one's agenda). Having said that, I don't endorse selling dogs/cats to countries that:

a) have no human rights
b) considers dog/cat a delicacy
c) has little in the way of education when it comes to vaccinations/spay/neuter programs OR has no easily accessible/economical vaccinations
d) considers dogs/cats "dirty"
e) endorses mass culls (and this is not relegated to street dogs...pets are thrown in that mass as well) based on size of dog
f) won't recognize guide dogs for the blind
g) imposes hefty fines for dog owners if they exceed a 1 dog/household policy....and this also includes confiscation of pet

There are many first world democracies in Asia that still violate many points from my list above. It's a matter of knowing not just your customer, but their country's laws.

I mean certainly, abuses happen here in North America as well...but I think it all really comes down to knowing who you're selling to.

It's a valid important post and people should be aware of your message. Not that I think very many export on Kijiji but if they were considering doing so it's a must read. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would You sell A Dog To Asia   Would You sell A Dog To Asia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would You sell A Dog To Asia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: