Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Smoosh..........

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Smoosh..........   Wed 25 Nov 2009, 4:58 pm

Thank you very much for your candor mini. Although it made me cry, I was able to see a lot of my son in your sister. He has said some of the very same things. And yes, they did attempt a diagnosis, which was a half-hazzard shoddy one and I have been fighting with the schooly system for years to get a new assessment, but even knowing and witnessing his difficulties, I am still unsure as to how to best help him.

He also has anxiety and that can lead to depression, so I am very concerned about his feelings and the best things to say to him. For years I had to become a teacher as well to him, to try to keep him up in class. It was ridiculous because he was unable to compete at the same level. Plus it only caused tons of arguments between us. He needs mom, not mom as a teacher because I am a crappy teacher,lol.

I cannot tell you how uplifting it is to hear that your sister has found her voice. That is so wonderful. Maybe you weren't that nice to her as a kid, but you were a kid yourself. At least she has you now.

Thank you for your insight. I find it valuable.

Mostly I want to know what I can do and say to make sure he knows that he is perfect the way he is. I constantly praise him, encourage him, etc but sometimes I wonder if it makes any difference. I wonder what things your sister would say that your parents could have done that would have helped her. Or what she needed back then from teachers, family.

Thanks for sharing , Mini. I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Smoosh..........   Wed 25 Nov 2009, 6:57 pm

⭐

Last edited by Dinkers on Thu 26 Nov 2009, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Smoosh..........   Wed 25 Nov 2009, 7:06 pm

Smoosh I'm going to email you.

It's too private to put on a forum. And it will take me a while. But expect one later this evening.

We accept the love we think we deserve.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Smoosh..........   Wed 25 Nov 2009, 8:47 pm

My youngest son (11 years old) was diagnosed with dyslexia 3 years ago. He has struggled through school, and no matter what I tried that the teachers suggested on parent & teachers night, nothing worked. Went through a few years of really bad grades to the point where he would have ended up being held back a grade. Then 3 years ago, my son got a teacher that was new to the school. Turns out her best friend is an acquaintance and co-worker on mine. She scheduled a meeting with me and my son's speech pathologist to discuss having my son tested. Her coming to that school and it was last minutes notice when she found she was being transferred, and being my son's teacher was a good thing. Even though she wasn't as experienced as the other teachers my son had, she was the only one who recognized there was more to this and not my son being lazy and not wanting to learn, as he always paid attention in class and tried his best.

He's now in the EIP program where he is marked differently than the kids not on the EIP program. He doesn't feel different or left out because there are a few other kids in his class in the EIP program where they spend some time in the regular class with one teacher learning science, math, etc... Then spends time in another class with other students in the EIP program with spelling, reading and grammar. This is about as much as I can share on a public forum about him without invading his privacy too much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Smoosh..........   Wed 25 Nov 2009, 9:53 pm

Thank you to everyone who if offering their story with this. If I were able to articulate the comfort it brings me, I would. I have felt completely alone in this battle for years and now I realize my son is like so many others out there. I knew that but just didn't know any , personally. You are all incredibly strong and wonderful parents and yes, I 'm sure I will have questions soon but for now, I'm just trying to absorb it all so that I can ask some good questions.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate more than I can say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoosh..........   

Back to top Go down

Smoosh..........
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: