Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Electus Parrots

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Furface
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Furface

Electus Parrots Empty
PostSubject: Electus Parrots   Electus Parrots Icon_minitimeSun 22 Nov 2009, 4:54 pm

I'm totally in awe of these birds, particularly the female.
In a year or 2 I would like to get either a female or a pair.
I'm thinking a pair because unless I win the lottery, I have to work & I do have other pets so,
a pair so one is not too bored & lonely right?

I'm still researching so does anyone have any web site suggestions or books?
I'm interested in specifics -
most web pages that I've found list safe things to eat - I'd love one with percentages for example I know that
a house bunny should have at least 1 cup of mixed veggies per day per 6 pounds.
Is there guides similar to that available for Electus Parrots?

Does anyone know of a good breeder?
I don't think there is much hope of finding one in a rescue & I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to take on a previously abused bird.

Does anyone have Electus Parrots that could give me some 1st hand tips, advice, cautions, warnings, etc?

I don't want to clip wings, for several reasons, I think it's mean & I have a cat etc.
I've never had a large bird so, I'll ask is wing clipping something that I really have to do?
I always make sure windows are closed & ceiling fans are off for any flight times.

What"s the least amount of flight time that a electus parrot can have per day? Would most of Sat & Sun plus an hour or two each week night be enough?
At least at 1st I would want to be right there while they are out. Maybe (big maybe) later I would feel safe enough to walk the dog etc.

Can they be in the same room (not cage) as the budgies?
After becoming accustom to the budgies could they share flight time out (indoors I mean LOL)?

Would they be likely to eventually sit on the dogs head or are they more likely to always be aggressive or fear her?
The budgies get their bellies bathed by her. They come to the side of their enormous cage & she sticks her tongue threw the bars & licks their bellies.
They did this on their own - I claim no responsibility for their weirdness...LOL

I have a pair of budgies so I know the general rules about no Teflon cookware, no harsh chemical cleaners in house (mostly vinegar & a bit of bleach for floors here), no pesticides, no smoking, no air fresheners, birds out for painting staining, no cooking spray, hair spray or spray deodorant around birds & to be very careful about what the cage was painted with, etc.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Electus Parrots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electus Parrots   Electus Parrots Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 8:50 am

Furface you might want to check out this site. I think they're in Manitoba. The great thing about their site is it's not just about them and their birds (eclectus parrots being one of their breeds).......it's a friggin library and breeders link site as well. You can search other breeders by breed or location.

http://www.parrotplace.ca/ouraviary.htm

My dream is a crimson belly or pearly conure. Right now I have four budgies and a love bird. My daughter bought me a cage last year for my 'future' parrot. She brought half with her when she came to visit, the other half she is shipping to me. I hope to have a vet fund built up as avian vets tend to be even more expensive than regular vets and here in the Maritimes, they're few and far between.

There are also a couple of Yahoo groups where you'll find lots of breeders......abirdforsale (all Canada), Lowermainlandbirdbreeders (BC region), AtlanticCanadaBirdLovers (Maritimes).....many do shipping country wide. They are also a great source of info......very willing to answer questions and offer advice. If you sign up for daily digest you can browse their posts and ads daily.

Keep us updated on your search.
Back to top Go down
Furface
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Furface

Electus Parrots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electus Parrots   Electus Parrots Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out in a bit.
Back to top Go down
Furface
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Furface

Electus Parrots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electus Parrots   Electus Parrots Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 8:57 pm

Awesome site
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Electus Parrots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electus Parrots   Electus Parrots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electus Parrots
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Small Animals and Reptiles-
Jump to: