Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I take this trail sometimes, glad I wasn't the one to find it

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: I take this trail sometimes, glad I wasn't the one to find it   Mon 18 Oct 2010, 10:58 am

or else my kids would be bugging the heck out of me to keep it. I have a feeling the couple did call the H.S. and someone there refused to take it in. I can't see them making something like that up, especially after calling a couple of places to see if they would take it in.

http://www.windsorstar.com/Windsor+couple+rescue+giant+iguana+from+Ganatchio+Trail/3683008/story.html

Windsor couple rescue giant iguana from Ganatchio Trail

By Jeff Bolichowski, The Windsor Star October 17, 2010

Marcel Morin displays the iguana he found on Oct. 16, 2010, when he and his wife, Maryann, were walking along the Ganatchio Trail in Windsor. The Rholaine Drive resident put the reptile in his bathtub until a local pet store picked it up.
Photograph by: DAN JANISSE, The Windsor Star

WINDSOR, Ont. -- A big, green, scaly surprise landed Saturday in Marcel and Maryann Morin’s bathtub.

The east-end couple were thunderstruck when they happened upon the creature — a massive iguana — as they biked down the Ganatchio Trail. The couple took the creature, which they say was near death, home to nurse it back to health.

“It’s unbelievable,” said Marcel. “It’s huge.” He said he measured the giant lizard and it came close to six feet long.

“It’s pretty scary to look at.”

Maryann said she thought the iguana was a snake when she and her husband first spotted it. But when Marcel went to pick it up, they saw what it really was.

“It was on its back and it was white,” she said. “The poor thing. I thought that it was dead.”

Bundling it up in a pair of jackets, the Morins took the iguana home and placed it in their bathtub, warming it with a heating lamp normally used for their daughter’s hermit crabs. Maryann said the iguana’s green colour returned under the light.

“I have a feeling someone left it there to die because they didn’t want to care for it,” she said.

But finding someone to take the lizard off their hands wasn’t easy. She said Erie Wildlife Rescue and the Humane Society wouldn’t take it. She said it would be turned over to animal outreach program Zoo 2 You.

But humane society executive director Melanie Coulter said she didn’t believe her organization had been called.

“We would’ve taken it,” she said Sunday. And it wouldn’t have been the first time: the humane society has handled lost iguanas before, though finding them homes is tough.

Many people buy them when they’re small, Coulter said, but “unfortunately they keep growing and growing. You need a lot of space to care for them properly.”

Coulter said next time someone stumbles across a stray iguana they should call the humane society.

© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: I take this trail sometimes, glad I wasn't the one to find it   Mon 18 Oct 2010, 11:31 am

No to mention they require a pretty complicated diet...

Poor guy. I hope he fully recovers, but he doesn't look in great shape.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: I take this trail sometimes, glad I wasn't the one to find it   Mon 18 Oct 2010, 1:09 pm

They don't seem like an easy reptile to keep. He looks like he's missing his right front leg. The people who found him mentioned he started to get some colour back after they put a heating lamp near him, I'm hoping from the time they found him until now that he's improved quite a bit and will pull through. I sure do hope they find the person who dumped him.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: I take this trail sometimes, glad I wasn't the one to find it   Wed 20 Oct 2010, 12:12 am

Yikes!!!! Hubby rescued a salamander earlier from the cats and we are overnighting it. Gonna place it in the swamp area in the morning. I like them but a biggy like that I would have freaked a tad. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I take this trail sometimes, glad I wasn't the one to find it   

Back to top Go down

I take this trail sometimes, glad I wasn't the one to find it
Page 1 of 1