Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle Empty
PostSubject: Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle   Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle Icon_minitimeSat 16 Oct 2010, 10:36 am

I came across this article in my morning newspaper. The reason I think it's a silly law is because, if you live in this city, you can own 60 pigeons but are not allowed per the bylaw to own one chicken.

http://www.windsorstar.com/technology/CLUCK+wants+bring+barnyard+Windsor/3679878/story.html

LUCK wants to bring a bit of the barnyard to Windsor

By Craig Pearson, The Windsor Star October 15, 2010

Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle 3679880

Sarah Kacso holds one of her chickens at her home on Hall Ave in Windsor, ON. Despite a bylaw against such activity Kasco continues to keep the chickens which regularly provide eggs for her.
Photograph by: Dan Janisse, The Windsor Star

It’s time to let chickens roost in Windsor, say supporters of the homegrown egg movement.

A group of concerned chicken supporters, who belong to a fun-sounding but serious group called CLUCK (Canadian Liberated Urban Chicken Klub), consider banning chickens for the birds. They will meet with the Windsor licence commission Tuesday morning. The chicken club is continuing a two-year battle to convince the city to allow residents to raise a small number of hens for eggs.

Roosters, however, crow all day and don’t make for great neighbours.

“The end goal is to make it legal to have a few chickens in Windsor,” said Steve Green, who raises chickens, and says CLUCK counts almost 170 local members. “Currently, you can have 80 pigeons but you can’t have one chicken.”

Green, a case worker at St. Leonard’s House, believes people should have more connection to their food supply.

“I would like to see us have a little more control over our own food basket,” Green said. “My main reason is to create more food security.”

Though store-bought eggs have been recalled occasionally over the years, Green said backyard eggs often prove more organic and clean. And he said they’re cheap, so even low-income families can secure a lot of high-protein eggs relatively inexpensively.

Chickens live between five and 10 years. Hens typically lay one egg a day for about six years.

Sarah Kacso, who raises urban chickens and recently helped

start a local website called Rosecityfarms.com — aimed at educating Windsorites about raising urban chickens — figures it will cost her about $30 a year in feed for three birds. That would buy 180 eggs at the store, though her chickens will produce 800 to 900 eggs in one year.

“They’ll keep for five or six months without any change in taste or texture,” Kacso said. “And they taste much better than store-bought. You can tell when you crack it. Instead of being yellow, they’re a vibrant orange. When you hardboil them, they don’t get chalky. They stay creamy in the middle.”

In the pecking order of common birds, chickens rule the roost. With more than 24 billion worldwide, according to the Firefly Encyclopedia of Birds, chickens are more common than any other species of bird.

Like Green, Kacso doesn’t advocate raising city chickens for meat, since most people do not know how to properly butcher a bird. She wants them raised strictly for eggs — or as pets.

She and her fiance Colin McMahon own three chickens — two Italian white leghorns, aloof but great layers, and one bearded buff laced Polish variety, a breed known for its docile temperament.

They flit about very free-range in the couple’s backyard, which does not have a fence, and always return to their sawdust beds at night. Chickens rarely stray far from their coop.

Kacso said she told neighbours about the mini-farm, and has never heard a complaint about her feathered friends, since they are are quiet and odour-free. In fact, she said neighbourhood kids routinely come over to watch or feed the chickens — which are omnivores, and peck on everything from seed and weeds to fruit and table scraps.

Chickens must be fed once a day, and their coop cleaned out, but they require less attention than either cats or dogs.

Mike Chantler, deputy licence commissioner, said the city must consider a number of issues, including possible licence fees, rules of ownership, health effects, how to enforce bylaws, what to do about bad owners, and what to do with abandoned chickens.

He noted that while a number of municipalities have allowed the raising of backyard chickens, London councillors recently voted against it.

After Tuesday’s licence commission meeting on the topic, he said, his office may form a committee to take an in-depth look at the issue. The committee would then provide council with a report and recommendation on the issue. He said that process could take between three and 12 months.

Coun. Ron Jones, who chairs the licence committee, said he’s not yet sure how he will vote when chickens eventually come before council, but at first glance he appears amenable to the clucky critters.

“Personally, I have no objections to it,” said Jones, who nevertheless wants to learn more about urban chickens before deciding. “It is something that is common in other countries and other municipalities. The documents I have read indicate they are clean and that there’s no smell. So I am open to the debate.”

Kacso, meanwhile, feels there’s no need to be chicken. Her tame cluckers are named Karma, Dolce and Buttercup, whose head seems like one golden ball of feathers. Buttercup loves being petted, and even won Cutest Pet at the downtown farmers’ market.

“If you keep her in the sun and pet her, she just falls asleep,” said Kacso, a recent political science graduate of the University of Windsor. “Her little head just goes slack.

“She’s awesome. We love her.”

© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle   Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle Icon_minitimeSat 16 Oct 2010, 11:18 am

I wish them luck... but Windsor is famous for upholding animal bylaws, however silly they seem.

Not long ago, a big chain pet store heavily petitioned to be allowed to sell reptiles within city limits, and were denied without much thought.
Years of private petitions from reptile-lovers notwithstanding.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle   Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle Icon_minitimeSat 16 Oct 2010, 12:09 pm

I know her fiance... not a smart move to be on the bad side of the by-law when you are running for city councilor.

I wish we could have chickens in the city, it would be so much cheaper than buying eggs and really you could help others and sell them or give them to people who can't afford them.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle   Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle Icon_minitimeSun 17 Oct 2010, 12:34 am

kbullet wrote:
I know her fiance... not a smart move to be on the bad side of the by-law when you are running for city councilor.

I wish we could have chickens in the city, it would be so much cheaper than buying eggs and really you could help others and sell them or give them to people who can't afford them.

Chickens are a pain in the ass. They are really messy and extra smelly. Chicken feed is relatively cheap but you have to supplement with ground oyster shells which is pricey to ensure good shells on the eggs. I agree with your point though. Here overwintering them because of our fridgid temps required heat lamps 24/7, nesting boxes and a good insulated hen house. Gah...opening the door in the morning requires a strong stomach...stinky, stinky. We did this many years ago and honestly I prefer to just buy eggs at the store. I don't even like eggs unless they are in cakes or other food mixtures. Don't see any savings having them for eggs but I could be way wrong. Not a chicken lover unless it's boiled, roasted or the basic ingredient of soup. Arrow Arrow Arrow
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle   Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle Icon_minitimeSun 17 Oct 2010, 11:25 am

LOL @ Pooper. I'm not a egg fan either, but when I do on the rare occasion eat them boiled or scrambled, straight from the farm tastes so much better. When I was kid, my grandfather had chickens and I don't remember the odour. Maybe because he only had 15 of them. But I do remember when he was babysitting my sister and I, having to watch him prepare them to that night's dinner. Yuck! Sometime about watching chickens getting ready for your dinner, seemed to have turned me off of eating chickens for a few months. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle   Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silly bylaw - I hope she wins this battle
Page 1 of 1