Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   Fri 15 Oct 2010, 9:00 pm

Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   Sat 16 Oct 2010, 10:49 am

I posted the article below, only because if it ever gets taken down from the news site from the archives, then members can give their opinion on it years down the road.

Police to investigate death of homeless man in ER

CTV.ca News Staff
Date: Fri. Oct. 15 2010 9:54 PM ET

Winnipeg police say they are launching an investigation to see if criminal charges are warranted in the death of Brian Sinclair, a homeless aboriginal man who died after waiting 34 hours in a hospital's emergency room.

Sinclair, a double amputee who used a wheelchair, had gone to the emergency room at the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg because of a bladder infection in September 2008.

Toronto lawyer Clayton Ruby had been calling on police to investigate the death, saying there were reasonable grounds to believe a criminal offence took place.

Police said Sinclair's family was being notified of the investigation.

Sinclair's family has filed a $1.1-million lawsuit against the regional health authority, the Manitoba government and the medical staff who were working at the time of death.

An inquest into Sinclair's death will also to be held, but a date has not been set.

Sinclair, 45, went to the emergency room on Sept. 19, 2008 after being referred there by a doctor.

Video footage shows that he went to the triage desk and spoke to an aide before wheeling into the waiting room.

A day and a half later, a person in the waiting room approached security saying they thought Sinclair was dead.

Hospital officials have said Sinclair did not formally present himself to the triage desk and was not properly assigned a nurse. The chair of the regional health association said in the day's following Sinclair's death it was clear the system failed.

Family members say that justice needs to be served.

"Someone needs to take responsibility," said cousin Russell Sinclair. "Somebody needs to be accountable for what happened."

Police have not said what evidence they are seeking in the death, or if anyone could face charges. However, it's expected that the video footage will play a major part in the investigation.

If criminal charges are laid and the case goes before the courts, it could be a unique case in Canada's legal history, said Sinclair family lawyer Vilko Zbogar.

"The circumstances that happened to Brian Sinclair were unlike anything we've seen and call for an appropriate response. We have that today," he said Friday.

The Winnipeg Regional Health authority, which overseas all the city's hospitals, released a short statement on Friday, saying it would co-operate fully with any probe.

The authority also said that mistakes have occurred in the past, and that the death could have been avoided.

Still, officials with the authority have said that "no one person was responsible" in the case, and that they believe police will come to the same conclusion.

With files from The Canadian Press and CTV's Jill Macyshon
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   Sat 16 Oct 2010, 10:59 am

IDK, there's not enough details to give an opinion on this situation.

I know I have taken my kids to the emergency room at my local hospital on rare occasions, saw the triag nurse and she didn't bother to advise who to go see next, I had to ask her. They have renovated the hospital waiting area almost every time I go there, so you're not sure of where to go next. While waiting in the waiting room to be called to take my kids in next, I've seen the same happen to other people and they went straight to the sitting area in the waiting room without going to the nursing station. I think a better procedure needs to be implemented to ensure that those who go into the emergency room, are promptly directed to the triag nurse, then to the nursing station from there.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   Sat 16 Oct 2010, 11:59 am

I do not see a point to the multiple areas either... If its due to overflow of patients then just have 3 triage nurses instead of one. You'd think that someone would have said something after 12 hours.. my best guess is that they assumed he was there for narcotics and thought if they left him be then he would just leave on his own when he didn't get what he wanted.

Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   Sat 16 Oct 2010, 12:46 pm

I think this is sick...but that is my warped way of thinking. We all know what most people think of the Indians in Winnipeg. I mean if the guy was a DOUBLE amputee in a wheelchair you would think that someone would have been more accomodating to him, the staff surely had to have seen him there from start to end of their shift.

Don't compromise yourself. It's all you got
 Janis Joplin
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   Sun 17 Oct 2010, 12:08 am

Kewl Chick wrote:
I think this is sick...but that is my warped way of thinking. We all know what most people think of the Indians in Winnipeg. I mean if the guy was a DOUBLE amputee in a wheelchair you would think that someone would have been more accomodating to him, the staff surely had to have seen him there from start to end of their shift.

I think you are on to something. 👍
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   Mon 18 Oct 2010, 1:17 am

pooperscooper wrote:
Kewl Chick wrote:

I think you are on to something. 👍

Since I am home grown Manitoba.. I know where you are coming from.. But what gets me.. it wasn't a 12 hour shift where the triage nurse worked the whole time. There were 3 shift changes.. 3- so during all 3 changes he went un noticed... hmmmmmmm.....

I am not sure if they said what hospital but I could take a guess. ( I am familar with them as well)

Now if he was being referred to the Emergency by one of the medical clinics in manitoba. I believe it is mandatory that he has papers with him, that he would have to give to the nurse.

This is unacceptable in my opinion. I don't care the reasoning why. In the hospital where this occured most likely they have security that deal with the individuals that would be there. However, we are talking september. Wpg is not that cold. You see more of the people hanging around when you are in the months dec, jan, and Feb.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station   

Back to top Go down

What do you think 34 hours and all because he didn't go to the nursing station
Page 1 of 1