Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

feeling a little blue...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
smurry
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: feeling a little blue...   Tue 28 Sep 2010, 5:22 pm

I am finding it really hard to meet people in our new neighborhood, I thought once my son started school he'd meet kids and I'd meet the parents and there would be play dates and some adult conversation for me but I'm finding out it's the opposite. I've tried to communicate with the other parents in my son's kindergarten class but get a few words and then that's it, no one is very friendly they just seem to drop their kids off and run.

My son will be 5 in Dec. and I was hoping he'd have lots of friends that he could invite and have a party with friends instead of just our family. My daughter who will be 3 in February is very outgoing and will talk to every kid she passes at the park and I take them to McDonald's play place and try and talk with the other parents but don't get much of a response.

It's the same routine day in and day out and with the colder weather setting in I feel it's going to be a long lonely winter for all of us. I work only part time right now so I can raise the kids but I don't even have much in common with my co-workers most are young and single going to the bars or older with older children that already have a group of friends.

Feeling a little depressed about this...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Tue 28 Sep 2010, 5:38 pm

smurry is there an "Early Years Centre" near you? Libraries often offer programs for moms and kids free also. Google moms and tots programs maybe try the "Y" if you have one too.
Back to top Go down
smurry
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Tue 28 Sep 2010, 5:47 pm

jamn53 wrote:
smurry is there an "Early Years Centre" near you? Libraries often offer programs for moms and kids free also. Google moms and tots programs maybe try the "Y" if you have one too.

Thanks jamn, I'll give it a try I wish it was easier for us to meet people, I was thinking of the library but figured it would be good for the kids to have a story time but probably not the best place to meet new friends, since libraries are meant to be a quiet place and if they were all sitting listening to a story they won't really be interacting with the kids.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a free program at a church it's called Kidspot, basically a huge room full of toys and little play structures/ ride on toys where all the kids of the neighborhood get together the kids have a blast playing but I am going with an old friend from University, it's the church she attends and is not in my area but it will be a nice morning for my daughter while my son is in school.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:17 am

When I was working as a nanny the library had a free program for moms/caregivers and tots where you went into a separate room and stories were read to the kids, sing songs and crafts too. It was very noisy! I felt out of place because it was mostly young parents like yourself wanting to get out and meet others.

Also the schools in my area have drop-in (again free), programs for young moms/caregivers it sounds similar to what you are going to at the church. I think you will enjoy the church one you are going to. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:59 am

Give it some time Smurry,good friends are hard to come by,but well worth the wait

Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:56 am

We lived in our last place for almost 2 years before we knew anyone. We finally met someone and we are still friends now, 6 years later. She has converted to being a lesbian though, but not sure if that was our fault. :lol:

Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:02 pm

I'm thinking you had a big role in that Fleas 8)

Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:07 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
We lived in our last place for almost 2 years before we knew anyone. We finally met someone and we are still friends now, 6 years later. She has converted to being a lesbian though, but not sure if that was our fault.

Uh, fleas..... hon, a little correction on your terminology..... If she "converted" (as in - a conscious choice) then it would be kind of a compliment to your wife...... For you.. not so much of a compliment, then the word "fault" might be applicable. So change the "our" to "my"?

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:09 pm

I know it is fleas fault :lol:

Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:10 pm

Stop it! It's too early for a sense of humour. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:16 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
I know it is fleas fault

Everybody knows, except fleas before now. Poor fleas.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:19 pm

I'm not converting Smurry. Unless she wants me to. Razz

It'll work itself out Smurry, don't worry. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
smurry
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Thu 30 Sep 2010, 9:10 am

LOL fleas!!

So my friend didn't show up to "kidspot" found out later that her daughter was sick so she couldn't come. I stayed but didn't really "mingle" with anyone, for one it is a community thing and I don't live in the community and everyone seemed to have known someone there. I felt uncomfortable but stayed and did my best to make it fun for my daughter..........however my daughter decided to get on the other end of a teeter totter with a girl that was bigger then her, it started off ok but the girl was a little heavier and when she went down she let the teeter totter hit the ground, my daughter went flying over the handle and flipped over, cut her lip and was crying hysterically. The mother of the other girl rushed over to make sure it wasn't something her daughter had done on purpose It was an accident and my daughter is only little I shouldn't have let her go on it. Anyway after cleaning up the blood from her lip and calming her down, she wanted to stay and play. she is a tough little cookie. And that evening after her bath she said "When I'm bigger I can go on the teeter totter, right Mommy?" I couldn't believe my ears I thought she would have been scarred for life lol. So over all not the best experience but besides the little accident my daughter had a blast, supposed to be going next week to meet my friend there again.

I also replied to a Kijiji ad of a girl looking for a female friend to hang out with (playdates, coffee etc) and turns out she lives just a block away so we are going to meet at the park, she's a military wife and moved here last April and doesn't really know to many people. Hopefully we connect and I have myself a new friend! She has one child, a 2 yr old boy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Thu 30 Sep 2010, 9:20 am

Hopefully that will work out for you Smurry

Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:51 am

smurry wrote:
LOL fleas!!

So my friend didn't show up to "kidspot" found out later that her daughter was sick so she couldn't come. I stayed but didn't really "mingle" with anyone, for one it is a community thing and I don't live in the community and everyone seemed to have known someone there. I felt uncomfortable but stayed and did my best to make it fun for my daughter..........however my daughter decided to get on the other end of a teeter totter with a girl that was bigger then her, it started off ok but the girl was a little heavier and when she went down she let the teeter totter hit the ground, my daughter went flying over the handle and flipped over, cut her lip and was crying hysterically. The mother of the other girl rushed over to make sure it wasn't something her daughter had done on purpose It was an accident and my daughter is only little I shouldn't have let her go on it. Anyway after cleaning up the blood from her lip and calming her down, she wanted to stay and play. she is a tough little cookie. And that evening after her bath she said "When I'm bigger I can go on the teeter totter, right Mommy?" I couldn't believe my ears I thought she would have been scarred for life lol. So over all not the best experience but besides the little accident my daughter had a blast, supposed to be going next week to meet my friend there again.

I also replied to a Kijiji ad of a girl looking for a female friend to hang out with (playdates, coffee etc) and turns out she lives just a block away so we are going to meet at the park, she's a military wife and moved here last April and doesn't really know to many people. Hopefully we connect and I have myself a new friend! She has one child, a 2 yr old boy.

Glad to hear things seem to be working out a bit better for you. One thing, " I stayed but didn't really "mingle" with anyone, for one it is a community thing and I don't live in the community and everyone seemed to have known someone there." Get your tush in there, mingle, chat about the weather, kids..... whatever. I know it's hard, but people are only going to get to know you if you let them.

Has your city got an online forum site with a parenting section?

When my kids were younger (ok, my one kid was younger, the other was pre-internet) I met quite a few people through a parenting forum. They used to do large group get togethers.
Back to top Go down
smurry
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Thu 30 Sep 2010, 4:15 pm

UnhingedMom wrote:
smurry wrote:
LOL fleas!!

I also replied to a Kijiji ad of a girl looking for a female friend to hang out with (playdates, coffee etc) and turns out she lives just a block away so we are going to meet at the park, she's a military wife and moved here last April and doesn't really know to many people. Hopefully we connect and I have myself a new friend! She has one child, a 2 yr old boy.

Glad to hear things seem to be working out a bit better for you. One thing, " I stayed but didn't really "mingle" with anyone, for one it is a community thing and I don't live in the community and everyone seemed to have known someone there." Get your tush in there, mingle, chat about the weather, kids..... whatever. I know it's hard, but people are only going to get to know you if you let them.

Has your city got an online forum site with a parenting section?

When my kids were younger (ok, my one kid was younger, the other was pre-internet) I met quite a few people through a parenting forum. They used to do large group get togethers.

I had no idea about our city having an online forum with a parenting section, I'll see what I can find, thank you. Today I met and chatted with a mom of a boy in my son's class they stayed to play on the playground and the boy called my son over so I sat on the bench with the mom and talked for 20mins or so, it's a start! Also going to get together with the person I mentioned earlier she seems nice I've added her to FB and we've been chatting that way for now. It's hard for me to be outgoing but I am trying really hard.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   Thu 30 Sep 2010, 6:29 pm

Looks like you are making some positive moves Smurry,good for you
I am sure you will make some friends if you keep at it

PostSubject: Re: feeling a little blue...   

Back to top Go down

feeling a little blue...
Page 1 of 1