Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Peekaboo!!!

Go down 
+8
rottnmom
Kewl Chick
BigBrownEyes29
Unhingedmom
yorkiemom
kbullet
Jerseyfivedogs
HoodieCrow
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 1:59 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
Will they all just eat one? or how does that work,you will have to share pics of these
guys for a long time

How old would a snake baby be before it left its mom and went to new homes?

I will make sure each baby eats at -least- two meals and sheds twice in my care before going to another home. Smile

3 of 9 ate for me so far. Not terrible odds, since usually they'll wait to eat until after their first sheds.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 2:05 pm

How old are they before they do their first shed? or does it vary?
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 2:08 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
HoodieCrow wrote:

The next generation of snake lovers. Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 177108

Great pics! Looks like a Yellow Anaconda and a Burmese Python?

I think it was the same snake in both pics, but can't be sure since it was different years. I do know that it was a reticulating python if that means anything. I'm so pet stupid, lol.

Dare I ask what a pet snake would cost? She has been on me for a pet for months.

Definitely not the same snake. Smile The first is absolutely a Yellow Anaconda. If they told you the second was a Reticulated Python, they were telling fibs. Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 545787 lol

It definitely looks like a Burmese. Retics aren't generally used in educational programs (especially not at that size). They aren't really docile, and have a reputation for being um... less than snuggly.

Here is your typical Reticulated Python:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Reticulated

Here is your typical Burm:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Burmese_python_6464_lg
Allowing for the natural pattern/colour variations between individual animals, you can see he bears a much closer resemblance to the one in your photo.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 2:09 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
How old are they before they do their first shed? or does it vary?

It varies. I'm expecting them to shed sometime next week. Some of them are already getting dusky-looking.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 2:16 pm

HoodieCrow wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:
HoodieCrow wrote:

The next generation of snake lovers. Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 177108

Great pics! Looks like a Yellow Anaconda and a Burmese Python?

I think it was the same snake in both pics, but can't be sure since it was different years. I do know that it was a reticulating python if that means anything. I'm so pet stupid, lol.

Dare I ask what a pet snake would cost? She has been on me for a pet for months.

Definitely not the same snake. Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 177108 The first is absolutely a Yellow Anaconda. If they told you the second was a Reticulated Python, they were telling fibs. Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 545787 lol

It definitely looks like a Burmese. Retics aren't generally used in educational programs (especially not at that size). They aren't really docile, and have a reputation for being um... less than snuggly.

Here is your typical Reticulated Python:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Reticulated

Here is your typical Burm:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Burmese_python_6464_lg
Allowing for the natural pattern/colour variations between individual animals, you can see he bears a much closer resemblance to the one in your photo.

Upon closer inspection, it looks more like a distant cousin of the Burmese, the African Rock Python, or perhaps a hybrid of the two species.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 2:22 pm

Then I am guessing that they can go to their new homes at a fairly young age

Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 2:22 pm

Wow Hoodie, you are a wealth of knowledge. You babies are very pretty and I can say I have enjoyed reading this thread and learning new things. Thank you for sharing!!!
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 3:51 pm

yorkiemom wrote:

I wondering too what is the earliest age they can go to their new homes?

I hope Hoodie is not getting sick of our million and one questions, but her snakes are very interesting and pretty creatures.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 9:32 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
yorkiemom wrote:

I wondering too what is the earliest age they can go to their new homes?

I hope Hoodie is not getting sick of our million and one questions, but her snakes are very interesting and pretty creatures.

It's not technically a matter of age with Snakes, it is more one of establishment. Since babies are born essentially miniatures of their parents and need no parental care, they can actually go to new homes a couple of days after hatching. Ideally though, breeders will wait until the babies are feeding and shed, and keep them for -at least- four weeks to observe them and make sure they are healthy and thriving.

In many cases, a breeder will even hold back a few choice babies to observe for even longer, and assess as a potential part of their breeding programs.

PS: I love talking about Snakes. Ask away! ;)

Last edited by HoodieCrow on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 9:32 pm

Kewl Chick wrote:
Wow Hoodie, you are a wealth of knowledge. You babies are very pretty and I can say I have enjoyed reading this thread and learning new things. Thank you for sharing!!!

I'm so glad you've enjoyed the thread, Kewl!
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 9:40 pm

I really have enjoyed reading about your snakes, I don't think that I could ever own one but my cousin and a friend of ours used to have a bunch of them when we were younger and I always found them sort of fascinating in a aww--eww kinda way if that makes any sense.

My one friend had a boa who was about 16 feet long and he ended up getting lost in the apartment where he lived and they did not find him till much later and long after he had moved. That was creepy for me.

geek
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 9:53 pm

So will you be keeping any of these babies Hoodie?

Are they expensive to buy? I know nothing about them,but am having fun
learning about them. Are some of your babies nicer than the others that
would make you take a longer look at them before you sell them?

Would you keep a male or a female? Sorry,I am full of questions
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep 2010, 6:46 am

Kewl Chick wrote:
I really have enjoyed reading about your snakes, I don't think that I could ever own one but my cousin and a friend of ours used to have a bunch of them when we were younger and I always found them sort of fascinating in a aww--eww kinda way if that makes any sense.

My one friend had a boa who was about 16 feet long and he ended up getting lost in the apartment where he lived and they did not find him till much later and long after he had moved. That was creepy for me.

geek

Ok, you need to explain.. did they find the snake in the apartment he lived in or in his stuff? Because if it was the apartment, I'll forever be looking around corners for possible abandoned snakes LOL
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep 2010, 8:28 am

kbullet wrote:
Kewl Chick wrote:

geek

Ok, you need to explain.. did they find the snake in the apartment he lived in or in his stuff? Because if it was the apartment, I'll forever be looking around corners for possible abandoned snakes LOL

The snake got lost in the apartment...they ended up finding it when they were doing renovations, he never got his snake back...I think it was still alive though which doesn't surprise me as there would have been plenty of food available in this location.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Oct 2010, 12:02 am

There is the possibility that they only mentioned "reticulating", and I just ran with it. I wasn't there when she got wrapped in the big fella, and I probably wasn't paying attention the time before. :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Oct 2010, 9:06 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
So will you be keeping any of these babies Hoodie?

Are they expensive to buy? I know nothing about them,but am having fun
learning about them. Are some of your babies nicer than the others that
would make you take a longer look at them before you sell them?

Would you keep a male or a female? Sorry,I am full of questions

None this time, although I do have a favorite female.

This species of snake isn't terribly expensive. I paid more for my pair than I'll be charging for the babies (due to the market in general falling). The people who make a lot of money in this hobby are those that buy the big investment ball python and boa morphs (genetic colour/pattern types), not us small-timers with interesting species that aren't that common in the hobby. ;)
I originally started to plan to breed so that I could make the rarer species more available to the hobbiest, and deter people having to buy wild caught imports of the species that are harder to come by.
Unfortunately, the species I was focusing on (Southern White-lipped pythons) might not pan out for me, since my female has turned out to be a Northern phased animal. Unless there is a female floating around the country somewhere in a private situation, I might be completely out of luck. It's an absolute shame.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Oct 2010, 11:33 pm

so i think you are telling me that the female you bought is not the variety you got?

Can you show some pics to show the difference Hoodie?
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 9:00 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
so i think you are telling me that the female you bought is not the variety you got?

Can you show some pics to show the difference Hoodie?

Yes. The female White-lipped Python is a Northern (Gold) phased animal or some intergrade. I couldn't tell for about a year, as she seemed black until very recently. She has developed an olive-coloured lateral stripe, and a very faint post-occular spot which only the Northerns have. Most times, Northerns are very obviously golden in hue and have prominant spots. The phase I was hoping to propagate were the Southern (black) phased animals, which are very rare in the hobby and difficult to breed in captivity. They are a solid black (except for the white "lips"), no spotting.

Here is my male, Rook:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 03rooksept2010
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 02rooksept2010

You can see he is uniform black. No spots behind the eyes.

and my female, Maya:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 0mayasept20102
Very faint white spot directly behind the eye.

Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 0mayasept2010
Olive sides.

But her body remains very dark:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 03mayasept20102

Which is what is confusing and makes me think she might be an intergrade.

Here are a couple of typical Northern-phased animals:
Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 FemaleWhiteLippedPython1

Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Post-1294-1193087307_thumb

Very obviously golden in colour.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 9:09 pm

I can definelty see the spots behind the eye,by intergrade do you mean a crossing of the 2
species?
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 9:14 pm

Hoodie, I honestly have to say I love the look of your snakes better. Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing them. Always wanted some of my own but with reptile repulsed parents, then husband ......... I'll just have to live someone else's dream. (Wish you could have heard the response when I found a three foot garter under the deck and suggested to hubby we 'adopt' him Giggle )
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Oct 2010, 3:55 am

What I know about snakes could be written on a grain of rice, but are your snakes ever pretty!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peekaboo!!!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3