Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Children competing with dogs in competitive dog sports

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Children competing with dogs in competitive dog sports   Sun 12 Sep 2010, 9:09 pm

This really interesting topic came up in another forum and wanted to get the opinions of members here on this subject. I quoted the post in the other thread in blue below:

"How do you feel about children handling dogs in a competitive nature?

Are some sports okay, but not others? Why?

Is it fair to the dog?

What would some pro's and cons be?

For your consideration:

"
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Children competing with dogs in competitive dog sports   Mon 13 Sep 2010, 1:11 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
This really interesting topic came up in another forum and wanted to get the opinions of members here on this subject. I quoted the post in the other thread in blue below:

"How do you feel about children handling dogs in a competitive nature?

Are some sports okay, but not others? Why?

Is it fair to the dog?

What would some pro's and cons be?

For your consideration:

"

Good topic...I did compete with dogs when I was preteen and teen but only in conformation, not the same as the vid posted, she's just amazing. I did however compete very competitive with the horses from the age of 12. Now you make me wonder if it was fair to the horses because in the beginning as I sucked at first.

Basically I think if the child is really keen to compete I can't see any cons, the pros though are valuable IMO. There is so much to be learned when you are a kid about both and the bad when you have the opportunity to learn from what you experience from the time spent with professionals who can teach so much. I will admit I prefer to win but taking a loss by someone superior, be it handler or presented animal is an honor in itself...another learning experience, makes you try harder and pay attention to what superior animals are for conformation and performance classes, especially if the child has goals to become a future breeder.

On second though, my only con would be that working with animals always has a risk factor. I showed only small dogs and purebred cats but the horses more than a few times have provided some close calls that could have been fatal. I am of a mind that working with any species has it's pros and cons to some degree but everything in life is a risk so if you enjoy working your animals...go for it no matter your age...and starting young has so much potential as opposed to being parent coddled and held back when you are a kid by parent paranoia. Does that make sense...I'm tired. Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Children competing with dogs in competitive dog sports   Mon 13 Sep 2010, 12:01 pm

Pooper, I thought your post made sense to me. Smile

My response to that I had posted the other day:

"I don't see a problem with it, just as long as the dog listens really well to the child's commands, and the child has had a big part in helping in the training.

I allow my youngest child to run the family dog through the rally course in class. A year ago, I went to a dog show. There was a Rottweiler breeder (a husband and wife) who had two children. The husband ran the male dog through the show ring, the wife took the female dog, and their one child who had to have been no older than 9 took the puppy (about 9 months old) through the show ring, and did an awesome job.

I would be a little leary about children competing in schutzhund or similar type sports, in particular the bite work."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Children competing with dogs in competitive dog sports   

Back to top Go down

Children competing with dogs in competitive dog sports
Page 1 of 1