Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What would you have done?

Go down 
+4
rotncorso
kbullet
pooperscooper
BigBrownEyes29
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

What would you have done? Empty
PostSubject: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 11:40 pm

I came across this while perusing through another forum. I'll tell you what I would have done after everyone else shares their thoughts.

This is a "what would you have done?" question. Not "Oh you're a horrible person" forum, or not even a "Kudos, you did the right thing" I'm looking for. I am seriously curious as to what you would have done in this situationn....but first let me detail the FACTS of what happened and how I responded...

7/2007: My 13 year old Shih-tzu dies

8/2007: Husband finds a 7 year old Shih-tzu at NO KIll Shelter with a history of biting small children, elderly owner has passed away and no one to care for dog. We have no small children so we feel we can "deal" with it.

9/2008: Dog begins snapping immediately at all family members and friends who visit. Breaks the skin on my son's cheek. And is aggressive with our existing Shih-tzu.Training fails, therapy fails, medications fail. We are told to never approach the dog unless he approaches us first. This goes on for over a year.

11/2009: Thanksgiving morning. Alone, at 6:00 a.m. I feel Max at the end of the bed. He's sleeping and looking so peaceful. I just can't resist getting close to him, I nuzzle him, and talk to him softly. He lets out a low growl. I begin to back away, and just then he attacks me and shreds my upper right lip and a small portion of my cheek requiring an ER visit and 18 stitches. Around the 1 year anniversary I go in for scar revision therapy.

What would you have done? Poajrm5mgw1d4oq

I'm contacted by my insurance PPO provider and informed that if the dog remains in the house and can remain a threat that no future coverage for any damage the dog does will be covered. We would have to go through our homeowners insurance. I'm contacted by the police, they want to know if the dog is going to be euthanized and if not what is going to be done. We try to return the dog to the No Kill shelter, they will not take him back and advice me to "put him down", that a dog like that can't be rehabilitated. I visit three different Vet's they all concur that if training did not work nor medications, then pulling out the K-9's and incisors and some of the other teeth, would be the best route. That's what I chose.

Present day: Max is a thriving happy dog. His appetite is better than ever and he even finishes hard chewy dog treats faster than the other dogs who do have all their teeth. He still bites but now it's just a pinch and slobber that he leaves behind.

What would you have done? Popy1d2s3o1d4oq

I'd like to know, based on the above info, what would you have done differently?
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 12:03 am

My first though is that with the history of the dogs initial bad behavior I would have never put my face that close to him to invite the bite. He warned with a growl.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 12:10 am

pooperscooper wrote:
My first though is that with the history of the dogs initial bad behavior I would have never put my face that close to him to invite the bite. He warned with a growl.

I agree.. but if I did it.. I would then go with my vets recommendation for further treatment for the dog.
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 8:22 am

I wouldnt be able to live with a dog like this. I would have him euthanized.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 8:38 am

I would never have brought the dog home in the first place,I would not have gotten my face that close to a dog that is known to be a biter,and at the end of the day I would have had him PTS
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 8:46 am

I would have put the dog down as well, way before the incident happened.

With all the good dogs who need homes IMO there is no room for dogs like this within society, large or small breed.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 8:57 am

rotncorso wrote:
I wouldnt be able to live with a dog like this. I would have him euthanized.

This was my first thoughts when I read this. Also what type of shelter adopts out a dog like this. They are euthanized if the shelter can't find a rescue to try to work through this dog's issues.

Though it was the woman's own fault for putting her face up into the dog's face, I don't think having some or all of it's teeth pulled is the solution to a dog that is always in fear, and reacts that way.

ETA: This lady lives somewhere in the U.S. The reason why she was stating in her post that her insurance company would no longer cover her injuries if she were bit by her dog again.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 1:35 pm

Yikes!!!...I'm curious to know if homeowners insurance would cover any legal costs for this gal, had she been sued by a parent who's child was bit by this dog (since there's already a significant bite history). This owner obviously has a strong bond with this dog, to go to the lengths of having all of it's teeth removed, and sparing it's life. IMHO, that bond is broken when skin is broken.
Back to top Go down
horrid hounds
horrid hounds

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeThu 07 Oct 2010, 3:56 pm

What training/therapy was this dog given?

Did you try multiple avenues or just a singular route of training?

Sorry to be a nosey parker but aggressive dogs that have had training intrigue me Embarassed

Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitimeThu 07 Oct 2010, 9:28 pm

horrid hounds wrote:
What training/therapy was this dog given?

Did you try multiple avenues or just a singular route of training?

Sorry to be a nosey parker but aggressive dogs that have had training intrigue me Embarassed

Hey, welcome back.

This didn't happen to me. My dog knows better than to put her mouth on anyone and plus she's a big black and tan ball of mush and slobbery kisses.

From what I recall of the woman this happened to, she claims that she has tried various different dog trainers (but not sure of the training styles she used). She also mentioned having a couple dog behaviourists help her with this dog's issues.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you have done?   What would you have done? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would you have done?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: