Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Dog Book Wish List

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

My Dog Book Wish List Empty
PostSubject: My Dog Book Wish List   My Dog Book Wish List Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 6:08 pm

I like reading anything animal related to cats, dogs, birds, etc...

Trying to put together a book order, along with my kids book orders for what books they would like for Christmas. If anyone has read any of these books, please share whether you liked it or whether it was a waste of money. A lot of these books that relate to resource guarding, shyness, and aggression issues don't pertain to my dog, but I like to read on different dog behaviours.

MINE! A Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs - by Jean Donaldson
A practical how-to guide on resource guarding/aggression - food bowl, object, bed, crate, owner, etc. - in dogs. Contents include: aggression basics, nature of resource guarding, kinds of resource guarding, Behaviorist vs. medical models, recognizing guarding, prognosis, safety tools, treatment overview, management, desensitization and counter conditioning, resource sample hierarchies, generalization, troubleshooting, body handling desensitization.

Feisty Fido: Help For The Leash Aggressive Dog by Patricia McConnell & Karen London
This booklet is designed for anyone, novice or professional, who works with dogs who are aggressive to other dogs on leash. Chock full of practical solutions to a common problem, the ideas within will help you change an out-of-control barker, lunger and growler into a polite neighborhood citizen using positive reinforcement!

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

DOGS BITE: But Balloons and Slippers Are More Dangerous
by Janis Bradley
Dogs enhance the lives of million more people than even the most inflated estimates of dog-bite victims. It's not even close! Gain a new perspective on this issue and learn strategies to minimize the number of bites that do occur.

Help For Your Shy Dog - by Deborah Wood
Contents include: Understanding: The First Step on the Road to Recovery; Socialization: Teaching Your Dog to Cope; Little Things Mean a Lot; Training: The Best Gift You Can Give Your Dog; Tips for Training a Shy Dog; More of the Real World; The Worst Behaviors: Uncontrolled Urination, Nervous Defecation and Fear-Biting; Adding a Second Dog; Fun, Games and Activities. Each chapter is illustrated with a case history of a formerly shy dog.

Dog Language: An Encyclopedia of Canine Behavior - By Roger Abrantes
Why dogs do what they do and how we can express ourselves so our dogs can understand us better. Follows the traditions of school of ethology founded by Konrad Lorenz, based on research observations and study. Organized in alphabetical order and cross-referenced; illustrated with excellent black and white line drawings.

On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals - by Turid Rugaas
Practical understanding of the dog's body language, especially signals used to maintain the social hierarchy and to resolve conflict within the pack. If we can carry these skills over to our own interactions with dogs, we can greatly improve our relationships with dogs. A practical, down-to-earth, logical understanding and use of the body language of dogs.

FIGHT! Treatment of Dog-Dog Aggression by Jean Donaldson
A practical guide to the treatment of dog-dog aggression. This down-to-earth manual will teach you how to use behavior modification to retrain a dog that bullies other dogs, or becomes fearful when approached by other dogs. Includes descriptions of common types of aggression, assessing prognosis, remedial socialization, on-leash manners training, proximity sensitivity, play style and skills, resource guarding, and prevention.

Outwitting Dogs - by Terry Ryan
From world-renowned dog trainer Terry Ryan, with Kirsten Mortensen. Focusing on problem solving and prevention with puppies as well as adult dogs, you'll find techniques to cure: the chronic chewer, the leash puller, the dog who jumps on people, the dog who hates to be left alone, the dog who won't come, the dog who barks too much, the biter, the aggressor, and more.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: My Dog Book Wish List   My Dog Book Wish List Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 6:21 pm

Mine is a good practical book, very short and to the point, I have a copy you can have if you want.

The intelligence of dogs by Stanley coren is also a good one, very interesting read, I tend to pass my books around and gave this book to someone at pug rescue or I would offer it here as well...... it was a really good book.

culture clash is the next one on my list I heard its great.

I also read a couple of CM books, they are crap, nothing interesting at all and I still have them if anyone wants LOL

There was another book and I can't even think of what it was called or who the author was, but it was interesting as well, different but interesting, if i remember the name i will post it.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: My Dog Book Wish List   My Dog Book Wish List Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 8:31 pm

Thank you McPug, but you may want it for other rescues that you take in for reference.

I have two of Cesars books. But neither go into the exact mechanics of his techniques. Interesting to read about his life growing up, but that's about all I got out of the books. lol The books in the list will at least give step by step instructions and the science behind reasons why. Some of these books are offered on Chapters.ca. I have a gift certificate that can only be used by ordering books online, that I need to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Dog Book Wish List   My Dog Book Wish List Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Dog Book Wish List
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: