Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

envy

Go down 
+8
ivegotfleas1
BigBrownEyes29
Mini
SillyStorm
mcpug
yorkiemom
kbullet
Amomma
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

envy Empty
PostSubject: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 1:22 am

We are financially okay - not rich but not poor. I find myself envious of obviously wealthy families lately. I want what they have. I saw a young woman and her family today, and I am certain her 8 year old's outfit was worth more than the clothes in my closet! My kids looked like little beggars next to her family, as if we were her servants! This was at a farmers market.

Does everyone else go through periods where they want a better, unattainable lifestyle, or am I just superficial and shallow. Be honest.

I am pretty level headed, and have not been willing to go into debt for anything flash. But I now have strong desire for a new car, renovated bathrooms, a finished basement, and new curtains. Oh, and an overseas vacation.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 8:51 am

I have gotten envious of other peoples financial situation.. its hard not to be when occasionally you struggle to pay bills and its like their life is easy breezy.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 9:11 am

Nope not envious of what other people have,learned the hard way material things are just that I have no desire to own them

I am rather simple in the things I want as are my children,I refuse to go into debt for anything,if I can't pay cash then I don't need it

Back to top Go down

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 9:13 am

I used to work for very rich people the kids were dressed to the nines unfortunately mom and dad had no time for them and they were starving for their parents affection.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 9:24 am

We deal with people all the time who have more money they they appear to know what to do with.

But when you hear someone complaining about bills when they live in a million dollar home it makes me kind of snicker lol.

OR someone who lives way above their means and then bounces a check it also makes me snicker just a bit....
Back to top Go down
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 9:47 am

Personally I think it's human nature to 'want better' but growing up with nothing but family to this day I've always had a keen sense of being the best I can be. I've never really cared about what others have as opposed to being inspired by others rather than envious of 'em. Honestly it's helped me grow into a better self.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 11:47 am

NOPE... I love what we have.

I have those friends.. and I laugh at them.. They may present themselves as rich.. But the more money you make the more you spend. It rings true.

They have the same problems on the inside like you and me. But they like to compete......

I may have a small house.. We may not go on vacations.. But in my mind. My children are well rounded and they know the value of a dollar and if they want something. They know they have to damn well work their butts off to accomplish it. Nothing in life is free.. and spoiling children IMO set them up for failure in life.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 1:46 pm

There was a time that I used to be envious of my friends who had bigger nicer homes, went on a cruise every year, dressed their kids in designer clothing, etc.... It got to the point where I stopped hanging out with them, and avoided any communication with them, because I just didn't have that type of money blow away pay cheque to pay cheque. My kids are not into designer clothing, they are happy wearing the Walmart specials. I'm not into expensive things, I like to have nice things but not where it's going to put me into debt.

I am now seeing that these are the people who live off credit. They are so far behind in debt with trying to keep up with the Jones', that when they lose their job, they are losing their expensive homes and cannot even sell the house for what it has been valued at. It makes me no envy them.

The only things I would like is a slightly bigger home, a decent savings to live off of when I retire, and to help my kids with their college / university tuition when they reach that point. So that they can have successful careers and live comfortably (not high off the hog living ... lol, but comfortably).
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 6:12 pm

I don't want a lot out of life, but there are things I do want. Unfortunately, we can barely survive. We don't even own a tv anymore and it pisses me off considering football season starts on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 6:30 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
I don't want a lot out of life, but there are things I do want. Unfortunately, we can barely survive. We don't even own a tv anymore and it pisses me off considering football season starts on Thursday.

You should move to Windsor. You can be poor with the rest of us down this way. Even do some cross border shopping to help save money.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 6:38 pm

Group poor? Sounds like fun :lol: .
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
Group poor? Sounds like fun :lol: .

:lol: Beats being poor alone.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 9:53 am

Sometimes I do but you know what they say about money...the more money you have the more bills you have! I have enough bills already..lol
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 11:08 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:

You should move to Windsor. You can be poor with the rest of us down this way. Even do some cross border shopping to help save money.

And if he lived here he could borrow one of our tvs for football watching.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 1:28 pm

kbullet wrote:
BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:

And if he lived here he could borrow one of our tvs for football watching.

There you go Fleas, you'll even get to borrow a tv to watch your football.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 11:38 am

I'll have to ask you about the size of your tvs of course. I would also need you to get Sunday ticket so I could watch the important game. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 2:54 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
I'll have to ask you about the size of your tvs of course. I would also need you to get Sunday ticket so I could watch the important game. Very Happy

I have a 42" hdtv. Uh.. no sunday ticket though.
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 3:18 pm

kbullet wrote:
I have gotten envious of other peoples financial situation.. its hard not to be when occasionally you struggle to pay bills and its like their life is easy breezy.

Occasionally?

Shit nobody told me the struggle wasn't suppose to be all the time!

As long as there is food for the kids and we're not on the street and I can get to bingo every once in awhile I'm fine being poor.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 3:26 pm

kbullet wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:

I have a 42" hdtv. Uh.. no sunday ticket though.

Well you have the right tv anyway. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeThu 09 Sep 2010, 8:12 am

Snitty wrote:
kbullet wrote:

Occasionally?

Shit nobody told me the struggle wasn't suppose to be all the time!

As long as there is food for the kids and we're not on the street and I can get to bingo every once in awhile I'm fine being poor.

So true Snitty. I don't remember ever being envious of 'things' others have, but I have my times when I am so envious of those who can afford to get all their bills paid, buy stuff they need when they need it and have some spare bucks in their pocket for spending money.

It's only been two years at my new job and last year was the first time since I can't remember that we were able to have everything caught up and a few dollars in the bank. Hubby on old age/Canada pension and my taking an assistant managers job (mind you it's a farm market and wages are NOT to die for) let us finally relax and feel that we could now have that cushion for the times when we needed or wanted it.

But our dear government thought otherwise............I guess I made soooo much money last year they felt it was necessary to reduce his pension....reducing us to the point where bills still get paid, but those few bucks in the bank start decreasing when we have to do something like replace a tire or buy a prescription.

No I don't envy others for what they have, I just get angry sometimes over the fact that I've worked for almost 40 years and it's still a struggle for basic + extras. That one year felt so good, I slept better, laughed more and saw a brighter future.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeThu 09 Sep 2010, 9:19 am

The government does not want us to get ahead or to be able to put a little away once in awhile,seems if they even think you might be making it alright,they take some more away from us

I really don't envy material things,never had much use for them I guess
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitimeThu 09 Sep 2010, 11:13 am

We've given up on envy and gotten off the "Keeping up with the Jones' " train. Envy is such a useless emotion and a total waste of time. Most of the time we have what we need and sometimes we bonus out that what we need is also what we want.

Oh hell, I still feel a twinge of envy every once in a while, but not so much in a "I want" sort of way. More envious of somebody's good fortune, rather than being envious of his/her lifestyle. After all, one thing I've learned is that most *wants* come with a price tag beyond the monetary. There are somethings I'd rather not sacrifice.

Uh, yeah, but if I won the lottery or something I'd keep my head about it. You know, money doesn't buy happiness, right? Might not be happier in the big picture, but I'd sure have a blast finding out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: envy   envy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

envy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: