Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Homework Debate

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 9:51 pm

I thought this would make a good debate topic.

Today while I was out getting an oil change and some other maintenance preventative work done on my car, one of the service men asks if I would like a newspaper to read, and hands me this international news newspaper.

As I'm browsing through the articles looking for a good article to read, I come across this one article on how some schools have stopped giving out homework to students. Reason being, they want that time spent after school to allow kids to have more family time and social activities after school (ie. ballet, soccer, etc...).

I remember when my kids were younger (ages 6 to 10), they had a pile of homework that would take them a good 4 hours to do. Not kidding. Spoke with other parents of the school and they said the same thing. So the rule was do what you can by a certain time and then the rest can put away and done tomorrow. If the teacher has any problems with this then to call me at work and I will discuss it with her. This is the same rule the other parents had in place at their homes.

Now it's not so bad. The only homework assignments they have that take a lot of work are projects but those aren't assignments that are assigned daily or weekly. The homework they do have is stuff that they never completed while in class.

Do you think schools should assign homework to students, other than the homework they were not able to complete in class?

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm

My thoughts on homework have and will remain the same

If my child does not get the dishes done,I do not send them to school with
her to do on school time,so please refrain from sending homework home with
my child and infringing on home time

That has been my standard for many many years
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 9:02 am

yorkiemom wrote:

That is a good way to think of it.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 11:52 am

I wish my college had the same thoughts.

My average homework time is 6 hours a night.. 6 DAMN hours.. LMFAO

My thoughts are this.. Homework gives them some essential skills they require as adults.

The first one is Time management. The 2nd one it prepares them for post secondary education. It also teaches them to be independent in their thought process as a teacher is not around to assist them. It teaches them responsibility- that things may need to be done prior to " play" It teaches them ethics. A job is not done till it is done. It teaches them.. that learning exists outside the class room as well. Because LIfe is education.

Do I believe in hours and hours a day NOPE.. but a little bit here and there. Yes.

Now if I can convince my courses ..

Here is what they expect. For every hour in the class room. You are expected to spend 2 hours at home. This is standard. So if we teach our kids young.. Good study habits.. then the transition will be easier into post secondary..

Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 1:52 pm

I can see Mini's point. At the time my kids were coming home with a minimum of 4 hours of homework every night. I think this is way too much. 2 hours of homework 2 times a week is ok, but every day 4 hours is ridiculous. This is for elementary and high schools. College / university is different, there are going to be times when you have to take work home or stay late when you have a job. This is where 6 hours of homework for students comes in.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 9:56 am

kbullet wrote:
yorkiemom wrote:

That is a good way to think of it.

I'll have to remember this one!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm

It works most of the time,I am not opposed to kids and some homework,but I feel that kids need some time to be just kids. If they have any chores to do at home,along with their homework the evening is over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homework Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework Debate   Homework Debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homework Debate
Page 1 of 1