Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. Empty
PostSubject: Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.   Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 9:10 pm

I came across this interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D., the author of "The Other End of the Leash". Which reminds me, I have her book and still have not set aside any time to read it.

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/could-breeders-and-shelters-work-together

In part of her blog, she writes:

"Two: Influence breed clubs to add behavioral stability to a criteria in shows. It is indeed true, as some of the comments have mentioned, that many clubs in Europe require animals to be carefully screened by vets, and are given behavioral and soundness tests before they can be registered. I visited a Warmblood stud farm in the Netherlands once, and was told that the club had decided only 12 studs could be registered that year, and the farm’s drop-dead gorgeous and bomb-proof stallion had been rated “number 13.” No foals for him, at least not that year. Wow. That would never fly over here in the land of the free, but at least we could start advocating that breed clubs add more to a championship than conforming to a structural standard and having a perfect gait. I know many competitors argue that just being in a dog show is proof enough of a dog’s disposition (me own mum used to make this argument to me), but you know . . . it’s not."

What are your thoughts on this?

If there is anything else in the blog you want to share your thoughts on feel free to post them in here.

ETA: I've only been to one dog show, but I thought temperament was also something that was looked at to ensure the dog had the right temperament for their breed.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.   Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm

My thoughts (about the 12 studs per year) is on one hand its good and on the other hand its taking away a lot of peoples rights, IDK I am torn about it.

About the temperament, I think this is where working trials come into play and why they are so important, if a working dog does not have a correct temperament (at least within a standard) I don't know if they could perform and do well in working trials specific to that breed...... for companion dogs I think therapy work is as good a job as any to prove a stable temperament although Lucky is a therapy dog and I can find her kind of a spaz at times (nervous, on edge) and she passed her cert with flying colors so IDK.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.   Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm

I agree McPug. Putting aside working trials, a dog in the conformation ring cannot show any signs of aggression or they are booted out of the ring. The dog has to be able to tolerate handling from a judge during the stand for examination. I'm not quite sure what she meant by her quote that I quoted.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.   Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 1:43 am

The Quote... "Two: Influence breed clubs to add behavioral stability to a criteria in shows. It is indeed true, as some of the comments have mentioned, that many clubs in Europe require animals to be carefully screened by vets, and are given behavioral and soundness tests before they can be registered. I visited a Warmblood stud farm in the Netherlands once, and was told that the club had decided only 12 studs could be registered that year, and the farm’s drop-dead gorgeous and bomb-proof stallion had been rated “number 13.” No foals for him, at least not that year. Wow. That would never fly over here in the land of the free, but at least we could start advocating that breed clubs add more to a championship than conforming to a structural standard and having a perfect gait. I know many competitors argue that just being in a dog show is proof enough of a dog’s disposition"

We showed many of our breeding stock (horses) in the provincial yearly evaluation shows and western Canadian breeders Championships. There are always 3 judges and one is always a vet. Horses have optional evaluations that you can enter in. Three and four year olds compete in conformation, weanlings and yearlings are shown as get of sire or produce of dam. There's also offered breeders sweepstakes where you pay a fee before any foals are born and then show them as weanlings, yearlings etc as they mature. As long as you pay the yearly fee to stay in the game you continue to compete. Performance classes are also offered for 3-4 year olds and 5-6 year olds in either english or western tack. Here all horses are already registered purebreds and many different breeds are featured and only show breed specific.

In dog shows to me it's much different due to the fact that horses have such a longer lifespan to prove themselves. I do agree that dogs that do have the temperament where they accept be physically handled by the judges and actually like the show experience do better. You can tell which dogs enjoy being there and which ones don't but I don't think that's any indication of true temperament. In some lines of both canine and equine if you pay attention long enough you can see clearly a tendency for a stable disposition and workability. I think good conformation is a good skeleton to build on but training is the key that makes it or breaks it for a balanced animal with great conformation and a keen willing learning attitude. I'll take the combo, thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.   Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. Icon_minitimeSun 05 Sep 2010, 2:12 pm

This is what I like Pooper, even though you have toy breed dogs that you not only show but are getting them into agility (a sport) to show they have a stable temperament when it comes time or if you ever decide to breed them. I'm also one who looks for and will take the combo. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.   Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting blog from Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.
Page 1 of 1