Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Low cost spay and neuter clinics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Low cost spay and neuter clinics   Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:10 am

should they be for everyone, or for only low income families? Wasn't sure where to place this thread as it doesn't just pertain to dogs.

I was reading something over on another forum and wanted to get everyone's thoughts here. I know vets go through a lot of schooling, spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for their education and when completed have student loans, staff, insurance for their business, etc... With some things I can see why vets costs are so high. But do you think the cost for spay and neuters should be high or should vets make the price more reasonable?

Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Low cost spay and neuter clinics   Wed 01 Sep 2010, 12:36 pm

I think the costs for spay and neutering are way too expensive. Neuters are very quick and easy, spays not so much. Not so long ago I had a vet friend who has since moved away and she used to to the procedures at cost for me. Neuters were $25.00 and spays were $90.00 so that tells me the vets are making a huge profit. It costs $200.00 to geld a horse but $280.00 to neuter a dog, that doesn't make sense. Last female cat I got spayed was $280.00 also. Low income people are certainly not going to have the cash to pay these fees, so without option of something cheaper they aren't going to bother. Sure vets have expensive schooling but I don't know any that express hardship on paying back the student loans. Smile
Back to top Go down
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Low cost spay and neuter clinics   Wed 01 Sep 2010, 12:51 pm

I think if vets provided cheaper spays and neuters perhaps we all would be able to afford more vet care and never have to gamble about if this shot will last or will they get fleas or should I just put the animal down instead of paying for their hip surgery. Ok, the hip surgery is much pricier but you get the point. I think if vets are making that much off of spay/neuter it is disgusting... That is way too much mark up.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Low cost spay and neuter clinics   Wed 01 Sep 2010, 1:02 pm

I agree that they are way too expensive and I have no clue how some of these vets even justify the cost of a spay or neuter.

When I got my dog, my plan was to not have her spayed until 24 months of age. Got the breeders permission, even though contract stated 6 months. I knew already ahead of time that her spay would cost around $500 to $600 for a 97 lbs dog (this was at a vet's office that is known to have one of the lower rates in the area) . It was closer to $600 when I had her spayed after her first heat.

Now comes the pregnant stray cat and her 3 male kittens. Kittens neutered at $215 each, I was quoted $519 for the mother cat's spay abort. I was always under the impression that spay and neuters were based on the animals weight. The bigger the animal, the more meds that would be required. I still to this day can't see how a neuter is $215. I'm not sure how a spay abort can come out to $519, when and not to sound cold, I didn't want the kittens the mother cat was carrying to be born.

Before anyone says shop around and call different vets. I did that and what people have to realize is, if you're not a long time client of a vet, they're not going to offer you the rate that they offer their long time clients. It's actually more costly to go to another vet, than it is to stick with your vet. Even if the other vet is known to be cheaper, because the other vet will push other checkups, etc... that your vet has already done, only to end up costing you the same amount as your original vet. <<sighs>>
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Low cost spay and neuter clinics   Wed 01 Sep 2010, 4:16 pm

NOt going to comment......

But they make a huge profit.. even at low prices... Vets still make a good profit line.

I know how much both of my vets would make just on cats on a quarterly basis. ONe has a huge overhead the other not so much....

The problem is.... vets are not governed. Which I think they should be.. but they can charge whatever they want to charge. It is sad really.. because I do think for the most part people want to do what is right by their animals. But who can afford a 500 plus spay fee.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low cost spay and neuter clinics   

Back to top Go down

Low cost spay and neuter clinics
Page 1 of 1