Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Dog Child Comparison

Go down 
+5
BigBrownEyes29
rotncorso
kbullet
yorkiemom
pooperscooper
9 posters

What are Your Thoughts
You find it offensive, they are not in the same league as kids.
The Dog Child Comparison Vote_lcap29%The Dog Child Comparison Vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
You feel the same about your pets as you do children.
The Dog Child Comparison Vote_lcap0%The Dog Child Comparison Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
You have no children so the pets are to you your kids.
The Dog Child Comparison Vote_lcap71%The Dog Child Comparison Vote_rcap
 71% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

The Dog Child Comparison Empty
PostSubject: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 12:15 am

First time for me to add a poll so I hope this works.

So many times on other forums people get pissed when anyone suggests that pet people "have the nerve" to make comparisons between pets and human offspring. Had me thinking what everyone else thinks.

From my perspective, having been a "mother" to pets and offspring laboriously pushed from my body I can see why some have strong opinions for and against comparing the two. Some feel that animals are just that and below humans on the greater scale of life and important things.

I have had animals that I have disliked because of their behavior and had also disliked my kids disobedience and I know my parents felt the same once in a while about me (snickers....way more than a few times).

In my opinion when I analyse dogs...as example... verses children, we love them both unconditionally in this house, school them to fit in to society, spend a fortune to educate them, ensure they the basics of food, water, shelter, medical care, mental and physical stimulation to make then well rounded, ensure they have proper winter clothes and toys and the list goes on. Many people without children and with. love to share the ongoing accomplishments or silly deeds of cheeky cute that most everyone just laps up. Both are huge parts of our lives and I for one ...dare I say...can't see a difference between loving a dog as much as a child, even if the dog or child belongs to someone else. Hope that makes sense. Please share your opinions. Smile

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 12:37 am

AHHHHHH pooper,you have opened a can of worms here LOL

I hate the comparison between pets and children,in all honestly can you tell me
if you had a choice between a child or a pet dying which would you choose,

I love my little dog she has been a companion to me for many years,almost 15,but if
something horrific were going to happen to the dog or the child,the dog goes

If i see an abused child or an abused animal I will always aid the child first and foremost
to me there is no comparison,and I may be standing alone here but thats okay too

Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 7:15 am

Well.. given that I am having such a hard time having actual children, my pets substitute as my kids. I don't always see that as the case, its mostly just when I'm really down and out and they check on me. I've never seen a problem with people loving their animals so much that they think of them as children, its far more worrisome to me when someone doesn't love their animal enough.

Given that I don't have kids, I don't know what I would do should there be an injured child and animal, but my instinct right now is to save the animal.
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 8:28 am

I consider my dogs kind of like children, I love them and they are part of my family. Sophie would be the one that is mostly like my ''child" Michael and I are Mama and Daddy" (Dont kmow how that happened, but it did! But on the other hand I dont consider them furry children, always remember they are large powerful dogs and never put human morals on them.
As much as I love them, if there was a situation where I had to make a choice over saving a human child over one of them, I'm sure my instinct would be to save the child.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 8:53 am

This is a good topic and I don't think it's opening a can of worms. At least not on this forum. lol I don't like to humanize pets, I love my dog very much and would do anything to protect her. But with that said she does not take priority over my children or any child. Like Rotncorso, I always remember that my dog is a large powerful one, and putting human emotions on her like I see some people (not all) do with their dog's in the obedience class I enroll my dog in, is an accident waiting to happen.

When I'm trying to explain what I've learned in how dogs learn, I will try to somewhat compare them to a child. This is only to get the human to understand by using something similar but not equal to, to compare with.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 9:36 am

I see my dogs as really good friends as opposed to actual human family members or kids.

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 9:50 am

Very good thread pooper.

My kids will always come first. With that said. So do the animals. Sometimes the animals are alot easier to deal with then kids. They don't say " I don't like you momma" LOL.. They always give you unconditional love. And their squabbles are easier to solve then the kids world war III.

As for the abused animals and the abused kids. I would take action on both and if I could take them all home. Heck my animals see the doc more then my kids see their doc.. HA HA HA HA HA. My animals and kids cost me the same amount of money. My question.. money money money... Just think how much I would have if I didn't have either..... OMG.. I could go on vactaions... Have things for myself. No stress... NO worries... no up at 3 am with teething... Or running threw the fog. Finding out why the horses are kicking the crap out of the barn door... OMG.. what a life that would be. No heart break and to be able to sleep at least 6 hours........................This thread should be.. why have kids or animals.. They cost you a fortune. They don't ever say Thankyou.....

ETA: on a serious note. Every critter.. every child is part of this pack. They all have their place on this funny farm. I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have them all around me and enriching my life and touching my heart on a daily basis

Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 10:22 am

Mini wrote:
My animals and kids cost me the same amount of money. My question.. money money money... Just think how much I would have if I didn't have either..... OMG.. I could go on vactaions... Have things for myself. No stress... NO worries

Hey, don't remind me. :lol:
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

I chose none of those answers.

I can't really compare the two, as I feel strongly about my pets and my child, but in different ways.

I am still firmly of the belief that to treat an animal as though it were human is doing the animal a complete disservice. That said, it doesn't mean they are less important.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010, 1:45 pm

Though I am childless by choice, and I consider my dogs (for all intents & purposes) my kids...they are still dogs. They are not human, and thus can't be placed in the same category. Though, they provide me such immense joy and pride, they will never cure cancer, they will never graduate with distinction from Harvard, but they can put a smile on a child's face, they can help educate (to some degree), and they can perhaps save a life one day. Like children...they have brains that process feelings and instruction. However, they don't wear clothes, sleep on my bed, or sit next to me on the couch when I'm reading a book or watching tv. I love them to bits, and tell them that daily. The way they interact with me, other humans & other K9's tells me they get that they're loved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dog Child Comparison   The Dog Child Comparison Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dog Child Comparison
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: