Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My Old Boy is Dying...Updated

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 1:20 am

Can't do anything more for him but wait. Called his vets and we discussed options but was agreed the best thing to do is keep him comfortable. He hates vets and after his neuter at six months he was never welcome when he went for his one year shots without a muzzle as he attacks them. A vet visit to put him down, if you know him, wouldn't be right.

He is shutting down and refuses food and water (chicken broth), he only smells and wants nothing to do with either. He has always been a working dog and was dedicated enough this morning to make it up to the barn. I swear he knows he is to pass as he firstly surprised me by wandering up there and he did something odd by laying down in the stallion paddock right under the grain bin of the one stallion he knows charges at him as that was their game his entire 14 years of life here, I chase you, you chase me. I can't lift him as he is a large Border Collie and I couldn't move him, call me silly but I think he may have wanted to end his life on his own terms with his herd. We brought him down to the house to protect him from getting trampled as he was charged and saved seconds before he got stomped by other humans I asked for to help move him, crap in hindsight, best thing ever maybe would to have not interfered.

He has no physical symptoms of expressing pain but is lethargic and just wants to be left alone and not fussed over. He will be missed and I won't let him suffer, it's hour to hour. Come morning I may have to look at the situation and help him pass. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Oet6jgpyE

Last edited by pooperscooper on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikaKeara
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
MikaKeara

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 1:28 am

Im so sorry Popper!! Im glad he has a great mommy to help him through this and be there for him. I can't imagine how your feeling right now, being helpless. I hope that he passes without pain, and without having you making that final decision.

Keep us posted. = (

Hugs!! XoX
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 7:02 am

I'm so sorry Pooper.. May you both find comfort in knowing he had a great life.

Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 7:08 am

Oh Pooper, I'm so very sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 8:09 am

Sorry to hear this pooper.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 8:34 am

It must be a difficult time for you right now,It is always hard when we lose one of our pets

Let us know how he is doing

Settling in

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 9:06 am

I'm so sorry.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 9:08 am

I'm really sorry pooper.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 10:07 am

ah pooper.........

I am so sorry They always know....Keep us updated. My thoughts are with you during such a hard time, my friend
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 11:16 am

Pooper all our hearts are with you right now. He is a part of your family and your love and consideration for him are a shining example to us all. I pray he goes gently and that you are given the opportunity to say one final goodbye.
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

I am so sorry to hear this Pooper, may your memories of better days help you through this difficult time!!

I will be sending prayers to you and your boy!!! ((hugs))

Don't compromise yourself. It's all you got
 Janis Joplin
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 2:16 pm

So sorry Pooper.

We accept the love we think we deserve.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 2:31 pm

so sorry
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 2:51 pm

Sorry to hear about your Border Collie. He had a great 14 years with an awesome human family, who allowed him to do what he enjoyed "work". We're hear for you. grouphug
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 12:21 am

Thanks for all your support everyone!!! Glad to say the only thing I planted in the ground today was a replacement spruce tree for a dead one we finally took care of!!!

I am sooooo glad I decided not to take him to the vet on Saturday morning. Last night he was in such bad shape and I was really convinced he was checking out as I have experienced many home deaths and he had all the symptoms. I sat with him and he really didn't want to be touched or fussed over so I respected that and left him with his untouched chicken broth, his water dish that I had put electrolytes in and a dish or rice and hamburger he had no interest in. Got up early this morning to check on him thinking the whole walk there about having to dig a hole to place his body in the pet cemetery. At the farm house back door was his tossed out bedding and rugs with bile puke on them and I expected a dead dog. I took in a breath before I turned the doorknob and walked in. When I peeked into his crate his bright eyes looking at me and he came out and up the stairs like he always does (slowly with his arthritis). He came up to get his daily arthritis meds and I was so happy. My parents said he was barking to go out at 3 in the morning and that's when all the puke was discovered. He consumed what I had left out for him when he came back inside. His temperature is normal and he has been drinking a lot which is wonderful. His skin is rehydrated and loose, before it was ridgid, and he is eating more rice and hamburger offered in small amounts and pooping and peeing. Was so wonderful to have him walk beside me up to the barn this morning. He came up tonight to his herd again and it was with much joy to have him accompany me even one more day.

He will be 15 years old on September 4th so this borrowed time is a treat. The best false alarm ever!!! I still will not at this point in his life have a vet visit for him as I already explained that isn't an option for him, his chart is flagged as a biter at both clinics and he's not welcome and it would be torture for him. Hope nobody feels this is neglectful, I know my dog and (the next time) I will continue to home treat and keep him as comfortable and be respectful to what I know would be what he would want even though his voice is silent. His waggly tail this morning was such a treat, unfortunately there's no cure for old age. Our friend who has boarded his horses here for over 20 years didn't know about any of this episode as he was away since Wednesday and just came back tonight was here when he was just a puppy. Dad and I told him about what had happened while he was away and he was mortified that I had considered taking him in to end his life on Saturday morning. He said..."He's my dog too... please don't make any decisions without consulting with me". He is so in love with Bruno, we all are...he's been such a good dog. Smile

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 7:23 am

Awwww pooper! Made me cry. I'm so glad you've been given more time with him. He just wanted to put you through a dry run so you could work it through and be sure in you heart how you will handle it some day down the road. Bet you walked around all day with a huge smile.....inside and out.

Great to know he has a whole posse looking out for him!
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 10:34 am

That's awesome news. Good hear he is showing improvement. Happy early Birthday Bruno.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 10:40 am

That is awesome news,and you are right everyday he is with you is a blessing to have him by your side.

Neglectful is hardly what I would call you,compassionate YES neglectful NO

Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:56 am

Oh pooper, that is wonderful. Watching your friends age is so difficult... I know how you are feeling.

Happy birthday, Bruno.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:16 pm

You folks are a huge support system. Thanks All. 8)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   Tue 31 Aug 2010, 8:24 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Old Boy is Dying...Updated   

Back to top Go down

My Old Boy is Dying...Updated
Page 1 of 1