Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

seniors in rescue

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Fri 27 Aug 2010, 10:46 am

Ha ha ha....what a cute little old man. Great to hear he's doing so well. I think I would keep him...lol. They have such character to their faces. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Fri 27 Aug 2010, 10:52 am

Mcpug, sorry if I came across Harsh.

I in the last year I have been through so much with the dogs.

Let me tell you about drake. First I was told he tore his asl. It wasn't the money. BUt the surgery didn't guarantee me- quality of life. Their was too much risk and the fact that it may not help. I opt out of the surgery. Instead found some amazing herbal stuff in the states. Costs me an arm and a leg. But he is doing amazing on it.

Then he develeped masses on his anus area. Thought it was his glands. My vet came out. And said that they are masses that usually an intact male can develope. Drake was fixed. my vets know me. She put all the risks out there. She said that he may not make it on the table. and even if she removed the lumps the biggest risk was he would be incontinent of his bowls. She didn't know if they were cancer or not. I took a whole week. Went ahead with the surgery. The only reason. Is because he would spend all day licking them.

I am very luck with my vets. So we opted for the surgery. Knowing the risks. I watched him go under. I was with him the whole time of the surgery. Now this is the hard part. I was checking his pulse and watchng his breathing. When the surgery was finished. I opted out for the reversile. Knowing that it is huge shock on his body. So I sat with him until he came around. It was the longest time every.

Sometimes when an animal is under and they are coming out of it. They can go into like a seisure. This is normal with some animals. I sat there just watching him. He took a long time to recover. Compared to any of my other dogs that I didn't do the reversale on. We lucked out. He came out of surgery. His tumors weren't cancer. But I tell you, the thing that bothered me the whole time. Was, he going to make it. Because I knew all the risks associated. My vet was sure he was going to be all right. As he was a working dog. For his age. He was in top shape. Weight and heart wise. But those risks are still there. just like with anyone with age. The older they are....... the more complications that come with it

I wish you all the best in your decision. It is a tough on. I have been there and done that.

ETA" My spelling and typing sucks. I am so tired this morning.. LMAO..
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Fri 27 Aug 2010, 11:11 am

I am so glad that Jerry is in good health. He really is a cutie, I love his eyes!!!

Don't compromise yourself. It's all you got
 Janis Joplin
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Fri 27 Aug 2010, 1:34 pm

mcpug wrote:
no harm..

I think I was just cranky and i understand what you are saying pooper.

McPug, First I want to say thank you for taking this little guy in where he may not have had a chance to live out his senior years if the owner would have surrendered him to a shelter. Second, I just read this thread. No one was agreeing or disagreeing with you, just people giving their opinion. I didn't pick up on any harsh comments towards you. I think with this guy and all the emotions that are going on with you regarding him, you may be viewing other members opinions as a personal attack and that's not the case at all.

I don't have a senior dog, but I do have a senior 12 year old cat that since not long after Christmas of last year started showing a health issue and I had to make the big decision on whether to go through with the surgery or not. I don't talk about it much or at all on forums. He's had blood work, all came back fine, x-rays and those also came back fine no blockage, with the exception of deformed intestines which the vet states he was born with. Per the vet's advice, I opted not go through the surgery with him as he might not make it through surgery. Other than a senior cat who is chronically constipated, he's healthy but still might not make it through the surgery.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with whatever decision you decide. Just wanted you know that whatever is going on with this dog is taking an emotional toll on you and you maybe viewing others advice and opinions other than for what they are, just to help.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Fri 27 Aug 2010, 2:01 pm

There is just so much controversy in rescue, people will demand you need to do this or that, this is not right this is, this is the only way to be ethical or moral, blah blah blah.

Rescues have such a bad name in this area of Ontario (and for good reason IMO) that we get a lot of slack when there is nothing to give slack about. Its part of the reason i haven't had a foster in a long time...... its not the dogs the time or the money its the POLITICS that go on in rescue its just crazy.

You would think it would be a simple process, but its not, everyone wants to chime in on topics (even the general public who have no clue what goes on behind the scenes) you take more bad press then good in rescue no matter how ethical and by the book you do things. You make one choice and half of the people involved (or not involved) don't think its the right choice and blame you for it when all you were trying to do was help a dog.

Its really complex, even more then breeding dogs in the rescue world and quite frankly some of the people heavily involved in rescue are pretty nutty.

the last rescue we had before Jerry was about 6 months ago, the dog was put down for temperament reasons and some people pretty much staged a coup against me including members of my own family who don't even own dogs or give a rats butt about rescues. Its just incredibly frustrating for me on a personal level.

This is supposed to be a rewarding hobby but when you deal with other rescues and the general public sometimes they can suck the enjoyment out if it pretty quickly.

- not referring to anyone in this thread at all in all of the above...... just explaining my feelings about it.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Fri 27 Aug 2010, 3:22 pm

Welcome to Rescue.

Mcpug I hear ya... My whole life minus a couple of years has been focused on those that toss away. Minus some that I bought for breeding.

You have to have thick skin. The only thing I have ever done is follow my heart. I don't listen to others. I don't have never given a rats ass about the politics. I have committed sucide as soon as I went against the main vet here. They took my name and ran it through the mud. I have had my battles. I have lost so called friends based on my heart and my own principles.

The majority of animals that need to be put down. I put down via my own hand. When I close my eyes. I see all of their eyes. I live with that pain. I live with the " what if's" But in my heart. I know everything I have done is for the quality of life for them. It sucks when you have to make choices and decisions that no one else has the guts to make. It sucks when you are the one walking them down the path to the Rainbow bridge. The hardest thing in this world is to look them in the eyes. But remember Follow your heart. The politics- the people- the critics- all of that is 2nd. Because when you shut your eyes. Know what you have done or will do- is right by that animal and who the hell cares what anyone else says or do.

I call these people armchair warriors. They all have opinions. But most of them can't get off their asses and do what is right.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Fri 27 Aug 2010, 3:45 pm

Mini wrote:

I call these people armchair warriors. They all have opinions. But most of them can't get off their asses and do what is right.

:lol:
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 2:41 pm

we got an app for Jerry a few hours after he was posted on our website.

An older retired woman has been waiting for a senior to apply for, she already has 1 senior pug and has had nothing but rescued seniors for years...... what a lovely woman!!!

Anyways I spoke with her about the neuter and we both decided that we are leaving him intact and should an issues arise pertaining to his prostate or cancer that if he is healthy enough he will be neutered at that time, but for now we will leave him as he is.

I took some backlash from some of the other people involved in the rescue but that's ok.

We are going on a home visit late next week and hopefully everything works out and Jerry has a great new home.

Just on a side note we have another pug with hip issues at the rescue and he has been here for quite some time, all his vetting is complete and he is a young very cute dog, we have had at least 10 or more applications for him and the foster has not liked any of them....... some of them sounded very good to me and one of them who applied was actually a friend of the woman who adopted jack in the winter....... its very annoying. She has SO many particular specifications she is looking for and some of them are very unreasonable, its very frustrating.

I can't believe I missed this AWESOME NEWS

YEAH.. YEAH.. YEAH.. Great job mcpug. I hope all turns out well.......
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 2:57 pm

That's good news about Jerry and his new possible future home. You know in your heart what was the right decision for Jerry, and it sounds fair and reasonable. Don't let the others in the rescue get to you.

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Sun 29 Aug 2010, 3:31 pm

I have always found most rescues impossible to deal with,I looked at a yorkie rescue here and thought I might like to become a part of that,as the Yorkie is THE dog for me,after reading and talking decided I understood the reason why so few were placed out for adoption

I can understand a fenced yard,but and this is a big but for me why the hell do I need a 6ft fence for a yorkie to go outside and pee?

Afew other things really turned me off of becoming a rescue home myself for yorkies

their rules about yorkies and children are absolutly off base when the yorkie weighs 10 lbs

Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:26 pm

mcpug wrote:
we got an app for Jerry a few hours after he was posted on our website.

An older retired woman has been waiting for a senior to apply for, she already has 1 senior pug and has had nothing but rescued seniors for years...... what a lovely woman!!!

Anyways I spoke with her about the neuter and we both decided that we are leaving him intact and should an issues arise pertaining to his prostate or cancer that if he is healthy enough he will be neutered at that time, but for now we will leave him as he is.

I took some backlash from some of the other people involved in the rescue but that's ok.

We are going on a home visit late next week and hopefully everything works out and Jerry has a great new home.

Just on a side note we have another pug with hip issues at the rescue and he has been here for quite some time, all his vetting is complete and he is a young very cute dog, we have had at least 10 or more applications for him and the foster has not liked any of them....... some of them sounded very good to me and one of them who applied was actually a friend of the woman who adopted jack in the winter....... its very annoying. She has SO many particular specifications she is looking for and some of them are very unreasonable, its very frustrating.

That is Fantastic!!! When you first mentioned him an older person was the home for him I had in my mind. I love that you spoke about the neuter and I hope he will do well without. I hope everything works out for you and him. I hope the second dog gets placed also, sounds like the foster is being unreasonable, maybe she wants to hang on to him longer. You do good work Mcpug!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seniors in rescue   

Back to top Go down

seniors in rescue
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2