Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

walking issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

walking issue Empty
PostSubject: walking issue   walking issue Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 3:27 pm

gentle leader is working great but it has developed into another problem I am hoping someone can help me with a solution.

Violet will swing out and pull back on the leash, I keep walking and then she rams me in the back of the knee with her head, she also sometimes bites my pants or the bottom of my skirt. I have been ignoring it hoping that its just adjustment to the leader but the behavior is getting worse.

i am not sure what to do, i don't really think its appropriate to use the leader for corrections IE pulling up on it when she does this, I have tried just stopping dead in my tracks and waiting for her to settle and I have tried just walking and ignoring her but its not working.

i should also mention that she does this for the first 1/4 of the walk mostly, by the middle/end of an hour long walk she is fine but its the initial part of the walk where this is a problem.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

walking issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: walking issue   walking issue Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 10:41 pm

Tank will rub his face on me with the halti on.. perhaps she is trying to get you to take it off. I don't have any suggestions because I just ignore Tank when he does it.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

walking issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: walking issue   walking issue Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 11:38 pm

2 days ago I came home with slobber all over the back of my skirt........

:twisted:
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

walking issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: walking issue   walking issue Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 12:11 am

McPug, some things you can try or combine together. Not sure if you do this already.

Put her halti on her when she's in the house for a few minutes off and on throughout the day so that she can get used to wearing it? I find dogs at first will paw their faces, because they have no control when you have control of their head area from pulling.

On walks because she's still a puppy and learning, carry a fanny pack of high value treats (ie. pea size pieces of chicken dog, cheese, small scraps of steak) and a clicker (if you are clicker training her). In your back yard, with the leash in your left hand and a few treats in your right hand, let her sniff the treats in your right hand but do not let her have any. Hold you right hand with your treats in it to your left hip, take a 5 steps forward. When there is no pulling on the leash that very moment praise and treat.

Try a doggy backpack. But because she is still a puppy and growing, keep the items in the backpack very light. Take two empty 500 mL water bottles, I filled mine with dog kibble. Place each one on each side of the backpack. She may be more focused in the walk and getting the backpack from point A to point B, that she might not focus on the halti. Praising and treating when there is no tension on the leash.

Have a 5 minutes game of fetch, followed by a series of sits and downs prior to the walk. This will tire her out mentally and she might not have the energy for a tantrum, but will have the energy for a walk.

Good luck and whatever you decide, let us know how she's coming along.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

walking issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: walking issue   walking issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

walking issue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Pets and Animals :: Dogs-
Jump to: