Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows   Sun 22 Aug 2010, 8:25 pm

Ok, this is kind of my rant. I will admit that I don't have cable tv or satellite, so I don't get to see most of these shows. Though I did watch the first season DVDs of The Dog Whisperer. What I noticed at the beginning of his show was a disclaimer for those watching something along the lines of them to seek a professional dog trainer if they are experiencing issues with their dog. In other words folks, don't try this at home. lol From watching the first season, I have to say that Cesar is a very nice, likeable guy, and yes, easy on the eyes. lol

Next thing I noticed was that his segments are only 30 minutes long. There is so much edited out of these shows that the general public does not see. From watching the first season DVDs, IDK maybe other seasons have changed since then. He doesn't go into the reason why he's doing what he's doing or explains the timing. So people try this at home and skip out on having a dog trainer in person, only to make the dog's issues worse because they don't know why they are doing what they are doing, only following the motions and they get the timing all wrong. Red zone dogs / dog with severe aggression issues are not cured in a 30 minute tv show. There are people out there that just don't stop to realize that.

My neighbour is a fan of The Dog Whisperer. I was talking to him one time and he was describing to me what sounded like an alpha roll. I advised that it could be very dangerous and that even though I don't agree with alpha rolling, if you're not a professional dog trainer don't do it. Against my advice because I'm not Cesar, he proceeds to try this technique out on his aggressive dog. Result: 5 stitches to the face. He still watches the show but no longer tries all the cool techniques he's seen on the show. I told him that there is a reason there is a disclaimer and your proof of that now.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows   Mon 23 Aug 2010, 12:04 am

I am going to have to agree with you BBE that the disclaimers are put in place for a purpose. Can't say I have seen but a few of Dog Whispers shows and yes the improvements do looks instant but everyone with a brain would have reasoned that the segments are edited and so many don't consider the time frame. Btw...I think everybody who owns and works dogs is a dog trainer in some capacity of the term...pro or not, and I know you are very knowledgable about training and glad you share and pick up on things like this.

Most of the pro horse training videos drive me crazy too. Supposed "never handled horses" used as a training lesson example. I always cringe at those...So said wild "adult" horse has perfectly manicured hooves (farrier visit), a bridle path (someone got very close to the ears with clippers) and obviously were trailered to the arena..,they are wearing halters for pity sakes, so how is it they are wild and never previously handled? GAH. :lol:
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows   Mon 23 Aug 2010, 9:51 am

pooperscooper wrote:
I am going to have to agree with you BBE that the disclaimers are put in place for a purpose. Can't say I have seen but a few of Dog Whispers shows and yes the improvements do looks instant but everyone with a brain would have reasoned that the segments are edited and so many don't consider the time frame. Btw...I think everybody who owns and works dogs is a dog trainer in some capacity of the term...pro or not, and I know you are very knowledgable about training and glad you share and pick up on things like this.

Most of the pro horse training videos drive me crazy too. Supposed "never handled horses" used as a training lesson example. I always cringe at those...So said wild "adult" horse has perfectly manicured hooves (farrier visit), a bridle path (someone got very close to the ears with clippers) and obviously were trailered to the arena..,they are wearing halters for pity sakes, so how is it they are wild and never previously handled? GAH. :lol:

:lol: Unfortunately to someone who knows nothing about horses, many might not pick up on that. I will admit I might not have picked up on that right away. <<embarrassed>>

I don't consider myself very knowledgeable. Just pick up tidbits here and there from a dog trainer that I have (my mentor), and from breeders of powerful dog breeds on what works to have a happy, obedient dog, and how not to get bit and get what you want.

I cringe when people say "I saw an episode of that on The Dog Whisperer", because by the time the person asks for help on a dog aggression issue, the dog is already a danger to the public and other animals. It's just not possible, safe, or responsible to give advice on dealing with certain dog aggression issues over the internet. Especially where there are children involved in the equation.

Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 1:41 am

My mother has become an avid watcher of the show for the past few weeks... At the end of my leash. Never viewed the show myself but we are having some good discussions. She doesn't know the name of the trainer nor do I but we are having some disagreements. Mom has always left all the training of dogs up to me and is now critising everything I do after each episode she watches. She thinks he's wonderful...and I suck at training.

I admit I am always learning and far from knowing everything about dogs. I talk to my dogs and they know words and what they mean. This trainer according to mom doesn't believe in speaking to dogs as they don't understand, she may have misunderstood but if true I disagree.

I take the dogs there every night to moms and a few days ago forgot their leashes as the walk home is off leash for all. My dad opened the door and yelled to me that the leashes were still there. I told the three dogs that were with me to sit and stay. Dogs were over an eight of a mile away when I left them to collect the forgotten leads. Called my mom to look out the window at my 3 sitting/staying dogs and told her to keep watching when I went to join them. They didn't move til I got up to them and gave the break command and then they jumped up on me in joy and exuberation, danced around and resumed as usual chasing and playing with each other...this is always their free for all off leash have fun time.

Next day mom says to me...dogs should never jump up on people, dogs should never run ahead but always heel and sit when the handler stops. Don't disagree with any of that when using a leash but this was off leash. Almost every day she has learned new things from the show and has more critique about the dogs. Truely not an issue as she was the same about child rearing and we are opposites on that pretty much too but there wasn't a TV show about kids back then...THANKFULLY...lol. :lol: :lol:
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

:lol: Pooper, you should tell your mom to stop watching that Brad Pattison show and watch a few episodes of that nanny show. I've never seen BP's show, have seen a few Youtube videos when they were up of his show, before they were taken down and really not my cup of tea when it comes to training styles. I believe in having obedient dogs, but also allowing a dog to be a dog which his training method and Cesar's don't allow for IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows   

Back to top Go down

Famous Dog Show Trainer Shows
Page 1 of 1