Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Cat Crate Debate

Go down 
+2
Jerseyfivedogs
BigBrownEyes29
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

The Cat Crate Debate Empty
PostSubject: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:10 am

I'm having this debate over on the dark side. lol The person I'm debating this over, I respect their opinion but don't agree with them on this one. Do you think it's cruel to crate a cat?

I'll share my opinions later, or if you're brave enough to head over to the dark side to read my posts, you'll see my views on this subject there. Thought this would make a good topic of discussion here.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:21 am

The cat in question is probably safer in the crate at night.
BA has a very quick temper, and really should put the cat in the crate until she calms down.
I wonder if she really should be caring for any animals.

I have crated kittens overnight.
Some nasty cats too.
I certainly don't think it is abuse at all.
I read your posts and agree with you 100%.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:39 am

Honestly, you'd have to be friggin insane to even THINK of getting close enough to a cat's teeth and claws to bite it's ear. What kind of advice was THAT?!?!?! I mean, seriously????? Like BA hasn't enough to worry about in life, being without an eye or two would be icing on the cake.

I agree with Jersey though, crating is probably the safest option for this cat. I also don't think BA should be taking in (I imagine this is probably one of her "rescue" cats, either from kijiji or a feral) and caring for any animals.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:51 am

That's the thing, some who are arguing that it's cruel are not looking at the whole picture. BA has a temper and acts first, then worries about the consequences later. If you look at the Ontario forum, she started a thread the other day that proves that she doesn't think before acting. If that cat clawed her bedroom door because it wanted in, added with this house being her step-father's, it's like having a pet and it destroying rented property. She could come home one day to find all her animals tossed out on the street by her father.

But that aside, I don't crating a cat is cruel. It could be a safe option for a few hours when you just can't supervise. Not all cats are the same and some don't need to be crated at all, but some who love to find trouble, even when mentally and physically stimulated, it can be a safe option.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:53 am

that was the dumbest advice I have ever heard from mcauly,hope feathers doesn't mind having her animals or child bitten by him

BA,if she is not making this up should NOT have more than one companion animal as far as I am concerned. She is a bit scary

I don't own a cat,but can see no reason why a cat should not be crated at night or while one is gone
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:55 am

My comments I posted on the other side (I have a feeling that thread will either get locked or deleted):

"OL ... Jammer, the problem with spraying is that some cats actually enjoy water. One of my semi-ferals likes to lay in the water dish.

I have three semi-feral indoor cats. When I was trying to tame them, I read and it was actually recommended to me by a few cat people on here that I crate them. It makes it easier to catch and handle them, than for them to have free access to the whole house. It actually helped to get them comfortable with me handling them. I was able to get three kittens who would hiss and growl when you went near them (mind you they still hiss and growl at strangers), to allow me to handle them. They are 2 years old, and still love their crate (I leave the door open in the day time, close it a night when I can't supervise them because they are destructive and somewhat wild). I used my dog's large double door crate, on the one door, I leave open and it has a hooded litter box so that they have access to a litter box. When I have visitors over, they are not comfortable around strangers and go into their crate that's in another room so that they don't stress out. I was just curious and maybe thought there was something I was thinking of as to why some thought it was cruel to crate cats."

"Not trying to start an argument. BA did say in her post and the tone in how it is written that she was frustrated / angry at that moment after her cat attacked her. Doesn't matter if it's a cat or a dog, whenever you start to feel like that, it's best to crate the animal until you calm down. I personally don't think and this is JMO that crating a cat for a couple hours or overnight while BA calms down is going to cause any damage to the cat. Let's not forget that even though her father bought her the house, it's still in the sense that I get it, her father's house. So if the cat starts clawing at the door for her attention because she shut the door. Her father is going to have a hissy and demand that she get rid of the cat. BA, I do think you need to give this cat more attention and exercise to tire him / her out more.

With that said. I crate my 3 younger cats for 5 hours out of a day, and that is at night so I can get some sleep before I have to start an 8 hour work day. Other than that their crate door is always open, and there is always someone home to keep an eye on them in the summer and when school starts back up, I have a neighbour who stops by throughout the day to check up on them. I have to really cat proof the house. When they don't want to be bothered, want to take a nap, not comfortable with certain visitors, whatever their reason, they voluntarily go into their XL crate. There's always fresh water, food and a litter box in there.

Now if I didn't crate them at night while I at least got 5 hours of sleep per day. I can tell you that I would have a destroyed house and possibly a dead cat or two. Keep in mind they are semi-feral and healthy per their vet check up. Even with daily individual attention and trust me lots of exercise to tire them out, I have had:

A mug of hot coffee swatted off the kitchen counter onto the floor. Broken mug and hot coffee on the floor.

My stereo system knocked on the floor off the stand. Yeah, it was an inexpensive one. But still heavy enough that if it had fallen on the cat who knocked it down, it could have injured the cats spine or worse.

A heavy glass table top coffee table, knocked onto a carpeted floor and broken into five pieces. Thank goodness none of them were injured. My dog was no where near the scene of the crimes, so she cannot be blamed of any of this. lol

These things all happening when I was at home and turned my attention away for a split second.

IMO, crating a cat with issues for a few hours while you get some rest and sanity is not cruel. Just as long as the cat is not crated 24/7."

"
***** wrote:
alrighty then .Lets try this :everyone that has a cat put it in a crate overnight for one week .Just a week .And no, kittens do not count ,especially the ones that grew up in a crate.
I am really interested in that outcome :lol:

P.S closing the door does create a healthy barrier between you and the cat

Been there and done that. Had to do it for the stray mother cat until I could get her spayed and the kittens she was carrying at the time (10 weeks after just having kittens) aborted. She was in the crate for a week, indoors. I couldn't have her or her kittens roaming freely through my house until she could get a clean bill of health from the vet. Plus at the time I had two senior cats (utd on vaccs) that I didn't want to catch anything from her in the case she tested positive for something contagious to other cats. Honestly, she settled within 30 minutes, with no issues. This is a cat that is not used to being indoors. She wasn't any goofier than when she first ended up on my porch."
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:58 am

yorkiemom wrote:
that was the dumbest advice I have ever heard from mcauly,hope feathers doesn't mind having her animals or child bitten by him

BA,if she is not making this up should NOT have more than one companion animal as far as I am concerned. She is a bit scary

I don't own a cat,but can see no reason why a cat should not be crated at night or while one is gone

I agree advising someone to bite a cat is the most dangerous and abusive thing I've ever heard.

I will admit, I know very little about cats though I have 5 healthy ones. I just wanted to make sure that if there is something I'm not seeing in this, that someone brings it to my attention. As long as the cat is not locked up 24/7, has fresh water, food and a litter box in the crate, then I can't see the harm in a cat being crated.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:58 am

I think the thing is that you'd have to find out if this specific cat is bothered with crates. My mil's cat (The Siamese Cat From Hades) hates crates, hates being confined, and does occasionally bite and scratch. When I put the cat in a crate for it's yearly trip to the vet's, I wear oven mitts. This is a cat who has always been an indoor cat, not, as I suspect BA's has been, an outdoor or feral cat.

Unfortunately, I suspect BA wasn't thinking of the cat's safety when she put it in the crate.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:02 am

okay as I read more the cat was not even BA"S but another poster who seems to have a lot of dead cats

The crazies have invaded kijiji,I am sure the mods like them better than us LOL
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:03 am

I don't see how crating a cat would be any different than crating a dog.. and I'm pretty sure most of us are advocates for doing that. Sometimes I'd like to crate my youngest little booger because she likes to jump up on things and make a mess.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:05 am

yorkiemom wrote:
okay as I read more the cat was not even BA"S but another poster who seems to have a lot of dead cats

The crazies have invaded kijiji,I am sure the mods like them better than us LOL

No, it WAS BA's cat.
You are thinking of this thread yorkie..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:38 pm Post subject: how does a dog have a bath & then dies ??
R.I.P.

Ketta

November 2008 -> March xx, 2009

Freaked out while we were giving her a bath; she got water in her ears, and became unable to eat. We had to force-feed her soft food for weeks, and she was getting better - finally able to walk, go to the litter, etc. - but she randomly clammed up and died while we were sleeping. It looked like she was getting better, too.

i was sleeping in my bed
as i am not feeling so well
& my stupid cat came up & bit my hand
the part right under the thumb
i have blood everywhere & it is a deep wound
when he bit i pulled my hand away and it
made a line across that part
i went to the hospital & they said
not bad enough for stitches but still bad
i have a bandaid on it & some cream they put on it
but ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
it is throbbing & hurts really bad
he is always biting if you don't pay attention to him
& i am getting seriously annoyed with it
i locked him in the cat crate for a while
until my anger calms down
how do you teach a cat not to bite ?
it's not like you can muzzle them

They are two different threads.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:10 am

okay you are right and I stand duly corrected LOL
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:11 am

Both threads are insane yorkie. :cyclops:
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:13 am

One thing about Kijiji it has gone so downhill since the Cleansing
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:39 am

In an other thread they are advocating letting the cat become an outdoor cat as it is peeing on everything in the house.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:44 am

It won't matter what advice she's given, she'll do what she wants to do. The thread's good for debate (except kijiji tends to frown on debates or opinions) but don't really expect anything to come of it. Remember the Cockatoo with the plucking issue? She got it from a guy who "found" it or abused it, or something or other.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:46 am

someone needs to advocate getting them rehomed
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 12:26 pm

Somebody should definitely be advocating for some members over there to just stop. If you don't want your business practices examined, advertise in the section where advertising is meant to be, not discussion forums.

People who use "Human Rights" to defend their CHOICE of business? Gawd, that's almost on par with that idiot who claimed a Human Rights Violation for being arrested as a pedophile. You know, because he was born that way and felt there was nothing wrong with it.

Being a BYB is NOT a recognized race, nationality, or religion, no matter how you revere and worship at the altar of the almighty dollar.

Sorry, just had to get that out.
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 1:24 pm

UnhingedMom wrote:
Somebody should definitely be advocating for some members over there to just stop. If you don't want your business practices examined, advertise in the section where advertising is meant to be, not discussion forums.

People who use "Human Rights" to defend their CHOICE of business? Gawd, that's almost on par with that idiot who claimed a Human Rights Violation for being arrested as a pedophile. You know, because he was born that way and felt there was nothing wrong with it.

Being a BYB is NOT a recognized race, nationality, or religion, no matter how you revere and worship at the altar of the almighty dollar.

+ 100 OMG, the audacity of some people!!
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 1:54 pm

Kewl Chick wrote:
UnhingedMom wrote:

+ 100 OMG, the audacity of some people!!

I have to laugh because, there are some there that cry animals should not have rights or the same rights as humans, don't humanize pets, blah, blah, blah. Which I agree with, but the same ones who are crying this are the same ones to do this. Calling someone a byb, is not the same as making a negative remark about someone's race, religion or nationality. I can call someone an idiot, doesn't mean I'm prejudiced against idiots. If that makes sense, I'm at work multi-tasking at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cat Crate Debate   The Cat Crate Debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cat Crate Debate
Page 1 of 1