Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need help with a marriage question please.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

Need help with a marriage question please. Empty
PostSubject: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:26 pm

My Mom got married about 3 plus years ago in Florida (they eloped) in front of a JP,yes they had a license and do have a marriage certificate. Now Mom and Charlie plan to re-new their vows next summer in a backyard style Wedding celebrated with Family in London,ON. Mom's question is is her Wedding legit? Is there any way I can check into these things for her online and if so where would I start?

A bit of background info yes we're Canadian. Mom didn't file anything here in Canada and really kept it hush hush the first two years but now they're more vocal about it and wanting to share their day. In fact as the 'maid of honor' it is my responsibility to help her find the appropriate answers to these questions prior to spending for their celebration planned for next summer.

I say yes it's legit ... The JP would've had to file her paperwork and they were issued a marriage license so I wouldn't think they'd need one for next summer considering they already have that part in tact. Mom even asked the Minsiter who married my cousin a few weeks back and she told Mom the same as I did ... No you wouldn't need a license but Mom wants to know for sure.

Any help you all could give in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as I just got the call and I'm being nagged to death about it LOL

Help please LOL
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:36 pm

Not a lot of info out there to come across, but did find this in relation to a 'similar' question.....

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100529212052AAJ0iAn

"Legally registered weddings in either the US or Canada are valid in either country. it sounds like your fiance's parents are woefully misinformed or else trying to control what you two do.

The reason you cannot find anything on the Internet that attests to this idea is because it's a ridiculous notion. If a legally married American couple comes to visit Canada, they will be considered married. It's the same if a legally married Canadian couple ever went to the US."

And this......

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100329191202AAAQ2GO

"Yes, American marriages ARE valid in Canada. We have an agreement between our governments on matters of this nature, and we agree to recognize reciprocal legal contracts like marriage and birth and so forth. Most of the countries that belong to the UN are on the same page in this regard. "

Hope these helped......as maid of honor you have more than enough to deal with.
Need help with a marriage question please. 602200
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:40 pm

Yes,they are legit and there is no need to bother checking canada and the US recogonize each others marriages and if I am not mistaken divorces

Plan on a wonderful vow renewal for your mom
Back to top Go down
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm

Thanks so much both of you and yes I have my work cut out for me considering both Mom and Charlie are completely old fashioned but hey that plaid they love so much could possibly work for a picnic-ky type theme I suppose LOL

We're just now starting to plan for it and as I said earlier it's important to them and thus becomes important for me as well, thanks again.

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 11:21 pm

What kind of plaid SS ?
Back to top Go down
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 11:31 pm

Oh gawd I don't even know LOL ... Charlie insists on 'simple' we've discussed it and I insist on decorating,picking the dresses with her approval of course and getting our hair and nails done ... I want Mom to feel extra 'special' this time as they're truly good for each other. My Aunts are catering the food buffet style and I was thinking considering Charlie loves plaid a picnic theme would work well for them.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 11:50 pm

As others stated yes completely legit. Does he want a specific tartan for a celtic reason?
Back to top Go down
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 8:11 am

No Pooper no specific Tartan but let me share a picture and a bit of background info. Mom is chairperson of her Tenant Commitee and heads up not only their card nights twice weekly but also their Community Festival once a year of which my Mom is BIG on organising and doing a lot of the leg work for it. Charlie worked fulltime up until just over a year ago as a courier but recently had to stop and go on long term disability through his work of course due to his bad heart condition. Put it this way whatever Mom wants she gets LOL ... Both are drinkers and love thier 'country music' so all these things need to be considered.

I was just thinking picnic theme as tablecloth setup type situation but blue and white would be nice too ... Also because it's a backyard nuptials I'm not going to be too concerned about forcing Charlie into a suit but it's going to be a challenge to get him detered from the plaid shirts he loves so much LOL.

Need help with a marriage question please. IMG_1802

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 8:25 am

SS, do you know what color dress your mom wants to wear? Could you incorporate a subtle plaid (with matching shirt for Charlie) into a sash or shawl? I think the idea of using it for table cloths is great, even use a white or colored main cloth with a smaller plaid one to over lay it.

So nice to hear a daughter give so much thought and love into something that is obviously very special to the both of them. There are sooooo many awesome (and reasonable) ways to decorate and accessorize for a wedding. I've done several for close friends, their wedding flowers are always my gift to them. One girl I worked with I did everything from find her a dress, alter and decorate it, plus do all the decorations for the wedding/reception and her cake..as well as her flowers. If you want any ideas I'd be happy to throw some out there for you.
Back to top Go down
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 10:37 am

No idea on the dress yet but certainly the ideas would be greatly appreciated. Recently I found our box of leftover cake cutter,ring pillow,pen set,cake topper the whole nine yards from Hubby and I's wedding 7 years ago a week today that we can re-use. I might just have to look up the pattern and see if I can get them a guestbook to go with the set as obviously ours was used LOL.

The dress is the fun part that I truly look forward too because knowing Mom she too wants simple and I want it to be nice and 'recent' meaning summery but fresh and something she likes. I've been thinking Mom's birthday is Febuary and a nice gift to her would be a 'spa day' where I take her to get pampered hair,nails,feet and finish it off with a nice lunch out ... it'll give her a nice excuse to get a feel for what I am planning the morning of her Wedding ... she has to be pampered LOL

I've been thinking of two possibilities for thier theme ... either a plaid picnic theme or a babyblue with white and incorporate butterflies into the flowers/decorations considering 1) they're so in-expensive at dollar stores and 2) the Cake topper theme has white lace butterlies on the whole set. Last night while sleeping I actually dreamt of the butterfly theme and how easy it would be to incorporate it into flower arrangements while keeping it simple/in-expensive at the same time.

When I think of the decorations I realise I should speak with my cousin first who recently married and has a lot of the Wedding decorations/materials that we could also re-use in the backyard ... only her's were royal blue/white but it would be easy to add in a soft blue with even a lace trim while keeping it simple and homemade at the same time.

Rottnmom I don't even know how to thank you for not only your wonderful compliments and support but also your offer for help and ideas. As you can likely tell my Mom and I are close and I feel honored to help make their day as special as possible.

Thanks again and I look forward to any ideas you might have ... I'm also debating about asking Bullet to bring a cake to London woohoo what better way to meet than at a Wedding where we can dance and laugh at the end together ... That'd make my day but hopefully Bullet and I can meet in Windsor next April and plan it from there.

LOL

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a marriage question please.   Need help with a marriage question please. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help with a marriage question please.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: