Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?   Fri 13 Aug 2010, 2:30 pm

I have been thinking about this quite a lot these past 8 weeks and can't go into too much detail, but this is what I can divulge.

I know of a couple who adopted this dog. Dog has unknown history and IMO, not the right dog or fit for them. Dog was adopted from a shelter in the U.S., but owners live here in Canada. The husband picked out the dog from the shelter, the wife admitted to me that she was originally afraid of the dog. Now at times from watching them, they both appear to be afraid of the dog. From what I've observed, dog appears to be dog aggressive. Nothing uncommon as quite a lot of dogs are, and this could stem from the dog being attacked by another dog from previous owners. Dog doesn't appear to be human aggressive, but has growled at the vet. Not enough details on how the vet handled the dog to go on.

I question, why someone would own a dog that they are afraid of. I have never been afraid of my dog or any other dog, but then I've never been bit by a dog, so that could be the reason why I feel that way. This couple is very attached to this dog and work very hard in training him. I have seen a big improvement.

Would you own or adopt a dog that you were afraid of?
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?   Fri 13 Aug 2010, 3:05 pm

No, I would never have a dog I was afraid of.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?   Fri 13 Aug 2010, 3:43 pm

I couldn't imagine owning a dog I'm afraid of.. then it would just be hard to train him/her.

Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?   Sun 15 Aug 2010, 8:15 pm

Owning a dog you were afraid of is just asking for trouble. They sense all of our emotions and if the dog already has issues I personally feel it would use this to it's advantage (if that makes sense) to put itself in a superior position.....which wouldn't be hard based on fear of the dog. And downhill from there.

When we first got sasha I didn't trust her, because I didn't know her. I took precautions not to be in a position where I would be surprised by her. Her dog aggression was extreme and took a long time to work through. At times I just wasn't up to the daily challenge so would change our routine to give myself the break. I wanted to remain consistent with her and being caught off guard due to being overtired or just fed up wouldn't have done her or me any good. Back to the original question, on first meeting her if I had felt I had any fear towards her I would never had taken her into our home.

Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?   Sun 15 Aug 2010, 8:31 pm

rottnmom wrote:
Owning a dog you were afraid of is just asking for trouble. They sense all of our emotions and if the dog already has issues I personally feel it would use this to it's advantage (if that makes sense) to put itself in a superior position.....which wouldn't be hard based on fear of the dog. And downhill from there.

When we first got sasha I didn't trust her, because I didn't know her. I took precautions not to be in a position where I would be surprised by her. Her dog aggression was extreme and took a long time to work through. At times I just wasn't up to the daily challenge so would change our routine to give myself the break. I wanted to remain consistent with her and being caught off guard due to being overtired or just fed up wouldn't have done her or me any good. Back to the original question, on first meeting her if I had felt I had any fear towards her I would never had taken her into our home.

+1

And I am the same with violet, especially when the kids are around, I know she would never bite out of aggression but I don't like to surprise her or let the kids do it just in case she is having a bad dream lol. But I think thats different then being afraid.

Violet rolls around with my kids on the floor all day long and I could not imagine how stressed I would be if I thought she was capable of biting one of them..... it would be awful and I couldn't live with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?   

Back to top Go down

Would you own a dog that you were afraid of?
Page 1 of 1