Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Socializing your puppy / dog

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Socializing your puppy / dog Empty
PostSubject: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeMon 09 Aug 2010, 7:06 pm

I know, I posted this on the dark side. LOL But when I'm at work it's hard to log on to here quickly, read and post than it is the dark side.

Question to breeders. What is your schedule of things you do to socialize the puppies you breed, to prepare them for when they go to their new homes?

Question to puppy / dog owners. What is your schedule of things you do to continue socializing the puppy / dog that you bought from the breeder?
If you adopted a shelter or rescue, you can post the things you do to socialize your rescue.

Note: Everyone's answer is going to be different depending on the area (ie. city or country or suburb) they live in when it comes to mainly the pet owners answers.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeMon 09 Aug 2010, 7:07 pm

I try to get my dog to encounter new positive experiences as much as possible. I know her limits and she does have a beautiful outgoing temperament and her training, which makes it a joy to bring her out in public and receive so many positive compliments.

People and things I've socialized her around:
walking over train tracks,
sitting a nice, safe distance back from the tracks a train is going by,
going for car rides,
going through the car wash,
people on crutches,
people in wheelchairs,
people wearing religious garments (ie. turbans),
people with downs syndrome,
people who walk with limps,
marathon cyclists racing by on their bikes while out on a walk,
other dogs - friendly and from a nice distance in a controlled environment (in a class setting) ignoring the dog aggressive ones,
children (children running in play, children screaming in play),
cats,
birds,
livestock,
agility equipment - teeter totter, jumps, board walk, jumps, tunnel, chute, tire,
walks in the city (since we live in the country),
People of different shapes, sizes, and skin tones.
People with deep voices,
People with high pitched voices,
Men with longer hair and thick bushy beards and mustaches,
Pots and pans being dropped and banged,
Children's loud, noisy toys.

Also wanted to add that I prefer to do my own grooming of my dog - bathing, brushing, brushing teeth, and trimming nails. I have taken her twice to a dog groomer to get her used to other people handling her. Makes it easy on the dog and the vet, when the dog is used to others handling them.

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeMon 09 Aug 2010, 10:22 pm

That is a loaded question.. HA HA HA HA

Which response do you want.

Cause my response is not your usual response.

My working dogs are not socialized with other dogs. My yard dogs are socialized with my friends and people that venture into my home. My Pyrs are not socialized with anyone. ONly if they want to come say hello. They are very stand offish as per their breed. As my one friend puts it. He doesn't know if they are going to attack him or want him to pet them.. LMFAO...My pugs are socialized with schools, nursing homes, camping.

The pug puppies were socialized with my children, cats, my big dogs ect.......I put more on socializing with children. I do not allow alot of outside contact with the pug puppies. I am very picky about certain things with my herd. Even more so when they are not up to their shots.

When I bred Pyrs. I socialized them with the herd. Through a temperment testing phase.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeMon 09 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm

lol Mini, I don't think it's a loaded question. Your situation is different, and your Pyrs and Mastiff have a job on your farm to do. So their socialization will be different than the Pugs.

There is really no right or wrong answer, as your answer will depend on whether you live in the city or country, big city or little city, out in the boonies, or in the country but not far from the outskirts of the city, or if the person lives in the suburbs. Then add in if majority of your neighbours are dog people or totally hate dogs. Then add in are majority in your area ok with all different types of breeds or are they biased due to what they see on the news. Etc...
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeMon 09 Aug 2010, 11:49 pm

My herd is also socialized.. have to add more as I read your response

Quads, trucks and predators

but the biggest they are all socialized to the gun. Most people would gasp. My horses and donkeys do not flinch or move a muscle if the gun goes off.

This in my mind is one of the most and valuble trainning for our Herd including dogs
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010, 10:43 am

Someone shooting off a hunting rifle doesn't seem to bother my dog. Firecrackers being lit off don't bother her either, the ones that you buy on the stores. The larger ones that you would see at big events that you need a permit to buy do bother her though.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Someone shooting off a hunting rifle doesn't seem to bother my dog. Firecrackers being lit off don't bother her either, the ones that you buy on the stores. The larger ones that you would see at big events that you need a permit to buy do bother her though.

Haven't seen much that bother the dogs or the herd. We have had fireworks set off.. Yelling screaming. Kids running in all different directions... LOL...
However, if someone comes on to the property that they don't know. They are very very vocal. Even more so bosco
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 12:34 pm

Violet is like that too (and I think its a breed/genetic thing with her) but she is very immune to loud noises, thunder, lightning, fire crackers, a loud vehicle passing right beside us on a walk, lawnmowers, sirens ect.

The first time she hears something she is curious, but by the second time she has no interest and has slept through fireworks that had my pugs nervous.

She used to chase our lawnmower but now she just sleeps.

Its funny though because a few days after we got violet she was in her crate in the living room and I turned the vacuum on and the power bar was up right and moved across the carpet by itself and rammed into the side of her cage...... she was very fearful of vacuums for a good 2 months after and we had to do a lot of treats and trials for her to be fine with it..... but now she is fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socializing your puppy / dog   Socializing your puppy / dog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Socializing your puppy / dog
Page 1 of 1